PDA

View Full Version : Sonos/Squeezebox review on Toms Hardware

brookheather
2007-08-30, 02:24
A good indepth review of both the Sonos and Squeezebox solutions for music around the home:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/multi-room-music-budget,review-29588.html

- Simon.

schatzy
2007-08-30, 05:11
Good article, BUT

It does not mention how many music files each can handle. I found out the hard way that the Sono System software can not handle more than about 40,000 files. Any more than that and the system will crash. I even called Sono about it and they told me "We do not plan to support such large number of files. If you have that many how can you listen to it all."

Well Sono I have over 56,000 currently with no duplicates (6 months of checking proved that) and will be adding more and more on a regular basis.

Slimserver should be able to handle any number of files. The only inconvenience I have found is the time it takes to do a full scan. I just let it run over night and all is fine.

The other factor i find very nice is the Squeezebox price is much better.

Schatzy

maggior
2007-08-30, 08:27
Good article, BUT

Well Sono I have over 56,000 currently with no duplicates (6 months of checking proved that) and will be adding more and more on a regular basis.

Schatzy

Wow, and I thought I had a lot of music with my library of 16,500 tracks (and growing). Though, if I had ALL of my music on there, I'd probably be up there with you. Glad to hear SlimServer still works well with a 50,000+ library.

I hear the "how can you listen to it all" comments too. People shake their head when I tell them that I have to move music back and forth on my 80GB iPod because it won't all fit. I try to explain to these people that it's not about listening to it all, but having it available to listen to when the mood so strikes. There's also a bit of the collector's mentality in there too :-).