PDA

View Full Version : NAS for running SlimServer

jordi.c
2007-08-29, 13:58
Hello,

Now I've collected 3 SqueezeBoxes I'm thinking about a NAS.

I have read some threads here about this topic. The most people advice the Thecus 5200 serie.

In Holland we have three versions:
-Thecus N5200
-Thecus N5200B Pro
-Thecus N5200BR(oustor) Pro

The only difference I can see is that the PRO has 512mb instead of 256mb.

Which one of the three should you recommend?

Is it possible with a NAS to stream HD movies (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) to a TV concerning HDCP?

I want my songs to be safe so I think I go for RAID5. Is this a secure way of working?

I'm new in the NAS area so every tip/advice is welcome :)

Cheers.
Jordi

aubuti
2007-08-29, 14:21
I want my songs to be safe so I think I go for RAID5. Is this a secure way of working?
Not in my opinion. RAID5 will save you from down time when one of your drives dies, but it won't save you from numerous other hazards like theft, fire, flooding, human error, etc. If you want your songs to be safe you should keep an off-site backup. Among the possibilities are external HDDs, commercial online backup sites, or neighbors (over some type of network).

For example, I run slimserver on a very basic Buffalo LinkStation NAS, and periodically back it up to an external USB HDD that I usually keep in the office. I bring the USB drive home every month or two to update the backup. Any losses in between backups are limited to music I've added or tags I've edited in that month or two, and for the music at least I have the original CDs as a backup.

funkstar
2007-08-29, 14:44
RAID-5 isn't a replacement for backups, but it is definitely a good thing.

The Pro version of the N5200 also has a 1.5GHz processor as opposed to a 600MHz version in the original non-Pro. This makes a pretty big difference with SlimServer and its MySQL database.

As for HD video, the NAS should be able to stream the video without problems, but you will need something to decode it and display it on the TV.

jordi.c
2007-08-29, 14:57
RAID-5 isn't a replacement for backups, but it is definitely a good thing.

The Pro version of the N5200 also has a 1.5GHz processor as opposed to a 600MHz version in the original non-Pro. This makes a pretty big difference with SlimServer and its MySQL database.

As for HD video, the NAS should be able to stream the video without problems, but you will need something to decode it and display it on the TV.

What is your opinion of using a NAS device instead of using a pc?

Than the best option is to go for the Pro version IMO.
Is the N5200Pro one of the better value for money NAS devices?

egd
2007-08-29, 15:23
What is your opinion of using a NAS device instead of using a pc?
If you have a spare PC lying around it can do the trick but may consume more power. If your desktop is on 24/7 then it probably makes no difference.

Than the best option is to go for the Pro version IMO.
Is the N5200Pro one of the better value for money NAS devices?

The 5200PRO series in my view presents the best value for money our there in its class at present - whether or not you opt for the version with the built in switch depends on your needs.

jordi.c
2007-08-30, 07:21
Thank you all for the advice, I am going to buy a N5200 Pro.

Jordi

lemmy999
2007-08-30, 08:27
So does the slimserver software actually run on the NAS? How do you install it?

funkstar
2007-08-30, 09:37
So does the slimserver software actually run on the NAS? How do you install it?
Yes it actually runs on the NAS.

Get the Slimserver module along with PERL from here:
http://onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_SLIMSERVER

Download them to your PC then install them though the Thecus web control panel.

jordi.c
2007-08-30, 09:46
Thx Funkstar, nice they keep the last build of slimserver updated :)

pzarate
2007-08-30, 16:58
Are you sure Thecus support slimserver, you ca use Thecus with your pc off.

funkstar
2007-08-31, 02:36
Are you sure Thecus support slimserver, you ca use Thecus with your pc off.
Yes you can absolutley run it on the N5200 without a PC being on. Thecus don't provide any direct support, that is provided by the comunity. Thecus have just provided the means to produce the installable modules and allowed third party code to run on their NAS units.