PDA

View Full Version : Firmware "Update Failed" on SB3



otipher
2007-08-29, 09:39
After updating SlimServer to 6.5.4 on my XP machine, my Squeezebox went into an endless loop of reporting successful download of new firmware followed by an error "Problem: update failed" and a reset.

I've tried the obvious things below:
Moving it from wireless to ethernet
Factory reset of the SB3 (remote and '+' key)
Trying different firmware (6.5.3 and 6.5.1)

All result in the same behavior - unit prompts for "Software Update" and for me to press the brightness control. I can skip to the browse menu to use the player, but the SlimServer browser page is telling me to update the firmware on the player which always fails.

At this point I seem to have exhausted tech support options other than returning the unit for repair.

Any ideas? I did not see anyone else reporting this specific problem on the forums.

thanks,

Siduhe
2007-08-29, 09:57
Have you tried reprogramming the xilinx chip?

Try unplugging the power and holding the 1 button down on the remote while plugging the power back in.

otipher
2007-08-29, 11:30
Held down '1' button and got the Xilinx reprogamming message.

The unit then booted up and notified me of a Software update (press brightness button) and then after successful download got the same "Problem: updated failed" error.

By the way, SlimServer is reporting my player info as "Player Firmware Version: 72" under "Player Settings" but is prompting me to upgrade to the latest version.

Siduhe
2007-08-29, 12:03
From the look of this (old) thread, support@slimdevices.com may well be your best bet.

Sorry not to be more help.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=6647

seanadams
2007-08-29, 12:34
Check if you can install firmware from Squeezenetwork. If it doesn't prompt for an update, just press and hold brightness anyway to force it.

otipher
2007-08-29, 13:05
I'm not sure what the exact process is for updating from SqueezeNetwork, but while playing an Internet Radio station I held down the brightness key until an upgrade download was forced. The download was successful but the update failed again.

In the meantime I downgraded SlimServer on the PC to the 6.5.1 release (with the 71 firmware) and the server/player combo work fine.

If I install SlimServeer 6.5.4, the SB3 tries to upgrade to firmware 81 and fails. If I replace the contents of the firmware directory with the content of the 6.5.1 release then the system functions, but of course I'm still on firmware 71.

So I'm stuck with a SB3 that runs only 71 at this time.

seanadams
2007-08-29, 13:39
Hmm. Haven't heard of this issue but I'm pretty sure it will need to be replaced. Call support, tell them you already troubleshooted with me, and unless they have any other ideas, get a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience.

otipher
2007-08-29, 17:30
Thanks for your help, got an RMA from Tech Support. I just hope this doesn't happen next time I upgrade as well :(