PDA

View Full Version : Yet more beginners Questions

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-29, 01:02
Had my SB3 for nearly a week now and think it's great. Few questions. I had to set up a wireless network at the same time as setting up the squeezebox. Everything working fine. But, I've noticed that I occassionally get windows message "running low on virtual memory" when running the squeezebox, SS and using the internet and other programmes, etc. I'm sure it's because I have an oldish & basic PC running XP and only have 512Mb of RAM. Before I invest in more RAM, can someody please confirm that's what I need to do. I haven't seen this message before, so must be linked to SB or wireless.
Also, I tried out a few 192Kbs radio stations on squeezenetwork and they kept dropping out, 128Kbs is fine (up to 1Mbs internet connection. I didn't try for very long so will experiment further.
Also, will my radio listening count against my monthly ISP download allowance and will it make much impact?
Sorry if questions are a bit basic and maybe more computer-related.
Thanks

mherger
2007-08-29, 01:25
> I'm sure it's because I have an oldish & basic PC running XP and
> only have 512Mb of RAM. Before I invest in more RAM, can someody
> please confirm that's what I need to do.

You can change the settings, how Windows is going to manage your virtual memory. Right click your computer in Windows' explorer, open the "Properties", "Advanced", "Performance -> Settings", "Advanced" (again...), "Virtual Memory -> Change". Uff. Set all drives to "System managed size" or increase the values, if they're fixed.

> Also, I tried out a few 192Kbs radio stations on squeezenetwork and
> they kept dropping out, 128Kbs is fine (up to 1Mbs internet connection.

This heavily depends on the station. I've had great experience with eg. Radio Paradise at 192kbps, but serious problems with others at 128kbps.

> Also, will my radio listening count against my monthly ISP download
> allowance and will it make much impact?

Of course it does count. As the numbers say, you're transferring 128 (or 192) kilobits per second, which is a rough 16/24 kilobytes per second. Make this times 86400 for a day -> >1.3GB/day (or >2GB/day respectively - unless I've done the math wrong :-))

Michael

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-29, 02:02
Thanks for your speedy reply.

brucegrr
2007-08-29, 09:02
Some programs can be real memory hogs even when they are not being used. Leaving them in memory sucks up memory.( yeah I know,sounds like Yogi Berra in the Aflac commercial. Can't think of a better way to say it) I would only run what needs to be run and I would eliminate programs (except slimserver :) from automatically starting up (real player, quick time, wmp, winamp, etc, etc,) Run them when you need them.

512mg of ram is fine but it is certainly not too much.

A note on Firefox if you are using it. I know there is a problems in some versions of Firefox sucking up more memory the longer it is open.I use Firefox so this in not a Firefox bash. Readily known fact.

Have you actually, via task manager, actually looked at what programs are running and the amount of memory each is using. If not I would encourage you to do so. Sometimes, those little programs that run on start up suck up a lot of memory.

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-30, 00:16
Thanks for the advice.
Yes I did a bit a searching around and have removed quite a few programs from start up. I've also ordered a 1Gb memory stick to hopefully improve things further. I'm actually using Explorer 7.
I'm sorry but I'm over in UK and your Yogi Berra remark has gone over my head!!

brucegrr
2007-08-30, 06:46
Sorry about the Yogi Berra attempt at humor :) Berra is a former New York Yankee baseball player, very old former player, who acts in AFLAC commercials. AFLAC is an insurance company. Berra makes a similar comment as I did........

Now as Paul Harvey would say "You know the rest of the story" :) You DO know Paul Harvey, right? :)

You should see a big up tick in performance after adding the memory. 1.5 gig should do you :) Do you have a separate video card or is it "onboard" IF you that was also some of your memory issue because the "onboard" video shares the ram memory.

maggior
2007-08-30, 07:56
Thanks for the advice.
Yes I did a bit a searching around and have removed quite a few programs from start up. I've also ordered a 1Gb memory stick to hopefully improve things further. I'm actually using Explorer 7.
I'm sorry but I'm over in UK and your Yogi Berra remark has gone over my head!!

Moving to 1.5 GB of RAM is certainly a good idea, especially if you regularly run multiple programs on the PC at once. I had an XP machine with 512MB of RAM and moving to 1GB made a significant difference in performance.

Additionally, you should check for memory leaks in any software you may be using. In my server, I used to use a Linksys wireless networking card rather than a hard wired network cable. I found that the monitoring software that came with it had a memory leak. I had to move back to an older version to avoid the problem. Even though I had 1GB or RAM, after the server being up for a few days I would see a "running low on memory" message. Eventually the squeezebox would become sluggish and then totally unresponsive.

So, how do I identify that I have a memory leak? Glad you asked! :-) If you right click on the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, you can pull up task manager. On the performance tab, you will see CPU usage and PF usage. PF usage is a measure of how much memory is being used on the system. Boot the machine and note what this says. After the machine has been running for some time (hours, days...), check it again and see if the PF usage has increased. If so, go to the processes tab and see if there are any programs that are using a lot more memory than any others.

The reason I bring the memory leak issue up is because adding memory to a system that has a memory leak will only delay the "running low on memory" message.

Hope this helps.

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-30, 10:11
Okay guys you're all so helpful. I've purged my old software, installed my new RAM this afternoon (I now have 1.2Gb as I had 2 bays with 256Mb), changed my virtual memory settings and now I feel like a new man. Yes I have a separate video card. The trouble is these things are not made for simpletons like me! But I will check CPU/PF usage once I've recovered.

I've heard of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo!! Actually I recall hearing of Mr Berra but who is Paul Harvey?? As David Beckham would say "my brain hurts".

Back to the Squeezebox, I've got another issue which maybe I should start a new thread but I'm sure you guys can assist. I'm in the process of ripping my CDs to FLAC and moving my old MP3s to another folder as I go but SlimServer seems to say I've still got the Mp3s. I can't see em in the location I've asked SS to rescan (clear). I haven't checked if this is a bug. Before posting this I switched my PC off and will re-scan in a minute.

One other thing, if any of you are married how do you get the other half interested in these toys?

brucegrr
2007-08-30, 10:22
Actually I recall hearing of Mr Berra but who is Paul Harvey?? As David Beckham would say "my brain hurts".

One other thing, if any of you are married how do you get the other half interested in these toys?

Paul Harvey is a long time radio broadcaster that does a national daily radio show. You Brits, you have no culture :)

I have been married 29 years. I am a tech addict, since the early days of computers. My wife has contented herself with knowing as little as possible. I run the remote....I swear if I died she wouldn't be able to watch TV :) She has learned to use the web interface for slimserver.She loves music so she finds it needful to learn that.

I know this.......buying a non tech wife a Squeezebox for your anniversary would not be a good thing :) Now a transporter :)

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-30, 10:30
I don't think I was very clear, I'm getting duplicates, sometimes triplicates of the same album.
Yes, my missus can't switch the TV on.

maggior
2007-08-30, 10:50

You do it by appealing to what they hold to be important. My wife like things clean and organized. This is why my large CD collection lives in the basement. Listening to music before required going down to the basement, making a selection, coming back up stairs,... Even my wife wasn't too keen on this, but it didn't bother her enough to allow the discs to come upstairs.

Enter the squeezebox...
"You mean we can access all of your music, my music, and our daughter's music just by using this remote and this squeezebox thing? Sure, go ahead, buy it."

Same thing with the iPod...
"So you mean that we don't have to haul a pile of CDs with us in the car? Sure, go ahead, buy it.".

She couldn't care less about the technology or the "cool factor" of either product. All she knows is it gives her access all of our music in an non-cluttered easy to access way. She uses the squeezebox regularly and has her own iPod that she uses everyday.

brucegrr
2007-08-30, 10:54
maggior,

Unfortunately I am hyper organized guy in our home. She does like the convenience of NOT having to get the CD's out. Se doesn't get the Bittorrent thing BUT she does know we listen to a much greater variety of music than we used to :)

brucegrr
2007-08-30, 10:58
RE: The duplicates

Have you looked at your tags with a program like mp3tag? I have 18,000 songs on my system. When I started out I had a horrible time with duplicates showing up, complete with different album covers. A song file can have multiple versions of tags, extended tags, etc. Depending on what program the cd's are ripped with, or if you are doing the bittorrent thing, a file can have all kinds of information. For me, I strip all the extra stuff out and use only the tag I need. Result? Every song out of 18,000 displays the same way. It is work but I think the result makes it worthwhile.

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-31, 03:26
What I can't understand is why SS is showing the MP3 files when they aren't in the directory I ask it to scan (clearing out what it already has).
I'll continue to rip to FLAC my collection give all the files a good review for tags and see how I go.
You see it's things like this that don't impress the missus, "why is this album showing 3 times? I don't like it, wheres the CD?"
Of course, I won't explain that it's all down to my own stupidity.

Siduhe
2007-08-31, 03:52
What I can't understand is why SS is showing the MP3 files when they aren't in the directory I ask it to scan (clearing out what it already has).

Four possibilities I can think of: 1) you have playlists which refer to the mp3 versions; 2) you have Cue sheets which refer to the mp3 versions; you have a symlink somewhere in your music directory to a place where the mp3s are stored; 4) you are using Itunes or MusicMagic integration?

Any of these likely to apply?

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-31, 05:49
Siduhe,

This is now officially driving me nuts.
I have no playlists and no cue lists. I had itunes but didn't like it so uninstalled. However, I noted that an itunes folder directory was still on my C drive with some scrobbler type file in it. I've deleted this and rescanned SS to look on my external drive for my music. Still getting the MP3s. Each album has 2 versions even those I've not ripped to FLAC yet. I got so desperate I uninstalled SS and reinstalled it but still get the same result.
You mention a symlink. I've no idea what this is. Unless you have a better idea, once I've ripped all to FLAC (this will take me a while) I will delete all my mp3s from my drives and see what that will do.
As it's now officially the weekend I will have a drink!!
Thanks for your advice.

Siduhe
2007-08-31, 12:41
Appreciate it may be frustrating, but the chances are that someone on here will be able to help you sort it. A symlink or symbolic link is basically a shortcut to another folder or drive of your system. Slimserver reads symlinks, so if you have a shortcut in your music directory to the place where the mp3s are stored, they will get picked up by the scan.

If you are still up for debugging this, you could try running Slimserver from the command line as follows:

Open up a command prompt in Windows (Run/cmd) and then enter (assuming a standard Windows install of Slimserver:

"c:\program files\slimserver\server\scanner.exe" --wipe --d_scan --d_import <musicfolder>

You need to replace <musicfolder> with the reference to your own music folder as you put it in Slimserver.

The output should show files as they are scanned and may give you an idea where and why the mp3 files are being dragged in - do you see any references to them in the log output - what does Slimserver do just before and during any scan of the mp3 files?

Siduhe
2007-08-31, 12:55
One other thought - sorry if this sounds grandmother sucking eggs - are you absolutely sure that these are duplicates in the sense of one flac and one mp3 file? As opposed to the same flac file appearing twice or three times (a true duplicate if you will)?

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-31, 23:24
Siduhe,
Just call me an idiot, I've gone to run cmd but it is starting at C:\Documents and Settings\myname. I've tried inputting just C:\ but doesn't like it.

Yes there are MP3s and FLAC files.

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-31, 23:57
Forget the above I managed to get somewhere and I can see the structure of the command you quote but after loads of attempts to input the command correctly I keep getting syntax error. Maybe I'm typing incorrectly or putting a space in somewhere

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-01, 00:23
Despite trouble with above I've located some old itunes folders, I had uninstalled the software using control panel but these few files remain. However, I cannot delete them for some reason "access denied". Maybe this has something to do with it?

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-01, 01:13
I've got to stop talking to meself. I've backed up onto DVD the mp3 versions of songs I've re-ripped to FLAC and deleted them from my system. Clear rescan on SS. The bloody MP3s are still showing and even playing on the Squeezebox?? How can this be?? Or is it really the FLAC file playing (but it is showing as mp3 192Kbs on the squeezbox). Why can't I delete the old iTunes crap from my system. And why am I so thick?

mflint
2007-09-01, 02:54
The bloody MP3s are still showing and even playing on the Squeezebox?? How can this be?? Or is it really the FLAC file playing (but it is showing as mp3 192Kbs on the squeezbox).

I suppose it could be that the FLAC file is being transcoded to mp3...

If you were using linux, I'd suggest doing "ps ax | grep lame" to see if there's a "lame" process doing some flac-to-mp3 transcoding.

Not sure whether transcoding works the same on Windows, but you could open the Task Manager (<Shift>-<Ctrl>-<Esc>) to see if there is a "lame" process listed.

(Re-reading that, it seems a too vague to be much help... *sigh*)

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-01, 03:16
win xp. I used lame for my mp3s. I'm assuming its a tag issue. In fact I seem to have 2 versions of the mp3 albums/tracks, not just FLAC.
York City, what happened? First team I ever saw back in 1969 against Notts County. I used to go to Bootham Crescent years ago and saw them beat Forest (on their way to promotion and Euro Champions) + Southampton the year the won the FA Cup (got the late Peter Osgood's autograph) Old Div 2. Moved back to area after years away but have only been once since. It was depressing. Were you around Bootham in the 70's? If so, remember Jimmy Hinch one of the worst footballers I've ever seen (England national team excluded)!

Siduhe
2007-09-01, 08:06
How funny. Am also York born and bred. Spent a fair bit of time at Bootham Cresent growing up.

Re the syntax for the commmand - are you using the " " around the directory?

Ok, if you have multiple copies of mp3s, rather than one flac and one mp3, it's a different issue and I agree likely to be a tagging one.

How are you tagging the files? Could be that you have different ID3v1 and ID3v2 info which is confusing Slimserver into thinking they are two different files. Or, are any of the files "compilations" - i.e. Various Artist files?

I would try looking at the files in something like mp3tag or Tag & Rename and seeing if you can spot anything anomalous about the tags, or if there are any odd Itunes tags still left on them.

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-01, 08:34
Siduke, Many thanks for your time and effort. I tried it with " but must have got something not quite right. My songs are on an external (F drive) but SS is on the C drive. I'll try again tomorrow but must be a tagging thing as the mp3s, at least for the FLAC files are no longer on the PC.
Not sure how mp3tag, etc works. Any guides or is it easy enough?
I'm from Harrogate originall, moved away to Germany, Glasgow and Bath and now back in the York area between York and Selby.
I'm glad it wasn't called Kit Kat Cresent in my day.

Siduhe
2007-09-01, 08:46
For Windows, I like Tag&Rename - very easy to use, free to try but 20 to keep. Best of all - it's the easiest program I know to swap between viewing the Id3v1 and Id3v2 tags - however it doesn't always show you the "hidden" tags that can added by things like Itunes. Mp3Tag is free and very powerful but takes a bit more to get the best out of. however, if you go to Properties in Mp3tag it will show you all the tags - including any hidden ones. I use a combination of both for problem files.

Loads more info in the wiki:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging

Hudsonrilke
2007-09-02, 02:28
Siduhe et al,
Sorted! Would you believe my folder had extra copies of the mp3 files. I don't know how many times I looked at the folder in explorer i couldn't see them. I downloaded mp3tagit and could see all these duplicates with different tags, tried to remove them but everytime I reopened the software there they were again. I've now deleted them. I feel a bit stupid that this was such a basic thing but am pleased I've got it sorted. Thanks to your help I've at least learned an awful lot in the last couple of days.
Thanks very much. I'll be a bit quieter over the next few days.