PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with Nokia 770 and Moose

richs1
2007-08-28, 19:48
I've just got my Nokia 770 up and running with the Nokia 770 skin. It's fantastic, except for delays while the device "sends" and "receives." I'd like to try Moose, since some say it speeds up the Nokia's response. I have Moose up and running on my desktop (which hosts Slimserver), but I have no idea how to get it running on my Nokia. I've read about rdesktop, but don't know what it is, or how to install it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

bklaas
2007-08-28, 20:25
I don't know who would say that, because it's not possible :)

Moose is a Windows-only .NET application. Nokia is linux based. Never the twain shall meet.

I'd check into your wireless strength if you're getting big delays on send/receive though...mine is pretty responsive typically.

cheers,
#!/ben

mherger
2007-08-28, 21:35
> I don't know who would say that, because it's not possible :)

It is: his plan is using rdesktop to open a remote desktop session on his
PC running Moose.

There's a link for rdesktop on the following page (Google is your friend):
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationcatalog2006/

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

mattybain
2007-08-29, 00:12
I don't know who would say that, because it's not possible :)

Moose is a Windows-only .NET application. Nokia is linux based. Never the twain shall meet.

I'd check into your wireless strength if you're getting big delays on send/receive though...mine is pretty responsive typically.

cheers,
#!/ben

Of course it is possible :), I have a photo of it on this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37517&page=3&highlight=moose+800 !!

You simply need to go the www.maemo.org website, find rdesktop click on install and then run the program.

You enter the ip address of your server, user name and password (for the remote computer) and your domain name (which is MSHOME if you use the standard windows address) and voila you should see your desktop and be able to run Moose.

Couple of things you should probably be aware of

- firstly the good Dr Lovegrove is making some changes to enable it to be better viewed on Moose (mainly that the frames remember there sizes when you restart, annoying when you have resized it perfectly for the N800 screen just to lose it again when you restart)

- I don't know how to right click using rdesktop and for me single clicking has the habit of registering as a double click, this makes it hard to click and point when selecting items in the library. However the Dr has made it so the arrow keys scroll through the options up and down and the artist/album/song frames left and right

- You can run Moose in fullscreen which enables you to view more

- You can resize the fonts so that you can fit more on the N800 screen

If you need any more help with general use then I am happy to help, if you have any useability imporvements then if you ask on the 3rd Party Plugins forum the good Dr usually does everything he can to accomodate the suggestions.

Have fun.

Matt

bklaas
2007-08-29, 06:50
I stand corrected, although I would argue that you're really still using Moose on your Windows machine :)

cheers,
#!/ben

richs1
2007-08-29, 18:37
Mattybain -

Thanks for your suggestions. This is a very stupid question, but how do I install rdesktop. I've clicked install to download it, but when I open the file (rdesktop.install)I don't have a program associated with it. I assume that I'm trying to execute an application. BTW, I'm running windows XP.

Thanks again,

Rich

azinck3
2007-08-29, 20:40
Mattybain -

Thanks for your suggestions. This is a very stupid question, but how do I install rdesktop. I've clicked install to download it, but when I open the file (rdesktop.install)I don't have a program associated with it. I assume that I'm trying to execute an application. BTW, I'm running windows XP.

Thanks again,

Rich

You need to install it on your 770, not on your PC.

To install it on the 770, use the 770 to visit this page and click the install button:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/rdesktop

Your computer already has the remote desktop server built into the OS (though you will need to turn on this capability if you don't already have it turned on). To turn it on:
- View the "system properties" dialog box
- Click the "remote" tab
- under "remote desktop" check "allow users to connect remotely to this computer"

richs1
2007-08-30, 05:13
Thanks all for your continued help.

I'm making progress.

I installed rdesktop on the 770. Even though I got a message saying it could not install, it looks like it is installed (I also got a message saying it wouldn't uninstall when I tried to start over).

Under system properties > remote, the only box available to check is one that says "allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer" I assume this will accomplish the same thing as "allow users to connect to this computer remotely".

On rdesktop setup:

RDP server: Is this the IP address that is listed on Server Setting on Slimserver. If not, where do I find it?

User name\password: I don't have a user name or a password on my Nokia or my desktop, can I leave these blank?

Domain name: My home network (of which my slimserver desktop is a part) has a workgroup name ("home"). What do I put under domain name?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the nature of these questions. I'm pretty new at this stuff.

Rich

mattybain
2007-08-30, 05:51
Thanks all for your continued help.

I'm making progress.

I installed rdesktop on the 770. Even though I got a message saying it could not install, it looks like it is installed (I also got a message saying it wouldn't uninstall when I tried to start over).

Under system properties > remote, the only box available to check is one that says "allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer" I assume this will accomplish the same thing as "allow users to connect to this computer remotely".

On rdesktop setup:

RDP server: Is this the IP address that is listed on Server Setting on Slimserver. If not, where do I find it?

User name\password: I don't have a user name or a password on my Nokia or my desktop, can I leave these blank?

Domain name: My home network (of which my slimserver desktop is a part) has a workgroup name ("home"). What do I put under domain name?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the nature of these questions. I'm pretty new at this stuff.

Rich

Rich

I had started typing a long reply, however have just realised are you running XP Home? if so I am not sure that remote desktop is available in this version of XP. I am running XP Professional.

This probably explains why you are not seeing all the remote access options.

Does anybody else know if remote desktop is possible on XP Home?

Matt

plympton
2007-08-30, 11:47
Also of note is that Remote Desktop alters the main display - if you're running Windows MCE and using your MCE machine as a slimserver, you have to choose between running Slimserver/Moose combination & your MCE display. When you log into rdesktop, it will stop movies playing (I think). It's really nasty.

A different solution is to use VNC, but again, with Windows not having different login capability, you lose that.

ANOTHER solution would be to run Slimserver/Moose in a virtual machine, thus having its own desktop, memory space, etc. You could use the free VMware server to do this (I run my webserver virtually this way on a Linux box).

-Dan

richs1
2007-08-30, 12:41
Dan raises an interesting point. Does anyone know if running Moose on the Nokia actually changes what is on the screen of my slimserver host computer. If so, it's not going to work for me. People in my house may be using the host computer for other things while I'm controling slimserver through the Nokia.

If it doesn't work it's no big deal, I'm pretty happy with Nokia 770 skin anyway.

Thanks,

Rich

ds2021
2007-08-30, 13:33
Ordinarily, logging into a computer via remote desktop causes any current user to be automatically logged off. I have not used rdesktop, but assume that the same would occur.

However, there is a hack available which allows for concurrent users. It involves substituting a pre-SP2 dll which permitted this functionality (XP SP2 does not, not sure about Vista), and changing some other settings. I wish I could be more specific; I performed the hack to allow me to RD into my media computer (e.g., so that someone watching television would not receive a rude alert and a black screen if I wanted to administer the computer), but it has been some time. A Google search for "allow concurrent users remote desktop" brings the instructions up readily.

azinck3
2007-08-30, 14:11
Rich

I had started typing a long reply, however have just realised are you running XP Home? if so I am not sure that remote desktop is available in this version of XP. I am running XP Professional.

This probably explains why you are not seeing all the remote access options.

Does anybody else know if remote desktop is possible on XP Home?

Matt

Correct, remote desktop is not on XP Home. You could use VNC but my experience with VNC on the 770 is that it's not nearly as quick as remote desktop (nor will the screen size sent to the client be scaled nicely to fit the 770's screen). I'd say this isn't a very viable solution if you don't have remote desktop.

Mattybain: I recall you asking about right-clicking in rdesktop -- it can be done, pressing the middle hardware button out of the three buttons along the left side of the 770 registers a right-click in whatever location the mouse-cursor currently sits.

azinck3
2007-08-30, 14:14
Dan raises an interesting point. Does anyone know if running Moose on the Nokia actually changes what is on the screen of my slimserver host computer. If so, it's not going to work for me. People in my house may be using the host computer for other things while I'm controling slimserver through the Nokia.

If it doesn't work it's no big deal, I'm pretty happy with Nokia 770 skin anyway.

Thanks,

Rich

It does -- if you're sitting at the server while you're using remote desktop on the 770 you'll just see a login screen. VNC works a little differently in that both the 770 and the host computer will be showing the exact same thing at all times.

You'll have to use the VMWare solution mentioned earlier in the thread if you want to avoid those issues. I haven't done this simply because my server is dedicated to server duties.

richs1
2007-08-31, 10:03
Thanks all for your help. I think I'll stay with the Nokia 770 skin. It has a few quirks on my system, but it's really very, very good.

Rich

drewe181
2007-09-04, 22:52
slightly off topic but i seem to be having a problem with javascripts on my 770. i can't log into hotmail, watch youtube, or perform basic control functions on slimserver. any solution? it was working at one stage but then i don't know what changed.

all good now. i've found the problem!

SoftwireEngineer
2007-09-05, 16:01
Another off-topic question I guess - I cant seem to stream from Slimserver with my Nokia 770. Also, a good UPnP player/server to stream flacs would be good.
Yes, the Nokia770 skin is cool.