PDA

View Full Version : Independent Volume Control?

plympton
2007-08-28, 09:00
Hey all,

I'm getting my SB on Wednesday, but want to see if this is possible: I want to independently control the volume from the headphone and RCA outputs (rather, I want to fix one <either> output, and keep the other one fixed).

This is because I'm sending one output to a small powered amp in the kitchen, and I'd like to control the volume independently. The problem is that I believe the remote will work on both outputs. :-/. Hmm...

Any suggestions? Are the 2 outputs physically tied together so that this isn't even possible?

-Dan

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-28, 09:33
Unfortunately the Squeezebox volume control affects both. Only the digital output volume control is separate.

You shouldn't use the headphone output for anything other than low-end headphones anyway: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToConnecting

Best to get a splitter and two passive volume controls.

plympton
2007-08-28, 09:55
Unfortunately the Squeezebox volume control affects both. Only the digital output volume control is separate.

You shouldn't use the headphone output for anything other than low-end headphones anyway: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToConnecting

Best to get a splitter and two passive volume controls.

Well, while that's a bummer, at least it's pretty logical in the reasoning! I'm coming off a few years with Rio Receivers, and while the dev community ALMOST got it right, it kinda died a while back.

I'll certainly miss being able to walk up to them and just turn the volume up, but I'm sure that's a rant for another posting...

-Dan

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-28, 09:59
You could get two Squeezeboxes :-) or an amp that has a digital input.

plympton
2007-08-28, 10:09
You could get two Squeezeboxes :-) or an amp that has a digital input.

Well, that won't fly $$ wise, and from what I've researched, Sync is oh-so-close-but-not 100% there. I've been experimenting with Softsqueeze and my Rios running SlimRio, and the sync can be dead-on to several seconds off. Not cool.

That's the whole reason why I'm doing this (I have a Rio in the living room and Kitchen where they ARE synced, but the server crashes randomly... ugh).

So I'm converting the Cat-5 to an analog Audio run, and picking up a Sonic Impact 5066 amp to drive the speakers with a good old-fashioned volume knob on it. :-) I was quite suprised how good it sounds running through all those electrical cables in the basement, etc.

-Dan