PDA

View Full Version : Some new user problems (plugins, OGG)

andybr
2007-08-27, 14:36
I've had my SB3 for a couple of days and have been reading the forum. Basically I'm very pleased with it and it's working more or less (in fact it was really plug and play to get it going out of the box) but I'm stuck on a couple of areas now having tried to play with a few things.

a) my SB3 seems slow/reluctant to recognise Plugins loaded. I installed AlienBBC but nothing appeared on the player. Turned player off/on, restarted server several times and then suddenly it appeared. Problem again getting the Song Scanner plug in to work. It showed in the Server|Plugin web page but nothing on the player. Powered off/on, exited server, started etc etc and then it eventually appeared under my Plugins menu on the player. This doesn't seem right.

b) I have a mix of MP3s and OGG files. MP3s play and behave perfectly including FF/RW with Song Scanner plugin so I know what to expect (as FF/RW seems to be a weakness of the product) but I can't scan OGG files. I've fiddled wih the File Types settings and so it appears to be running natively on the player and so not transcoding. But if I try to Song Scan or FF/RW I get an error displayed on the player "Problem: Can't open file for:" and then anything I select brings up the same error. I have to go back to Browse to re select a new Album to get the songs to play again.

Andy

bpa
2007-08-27, 14:42
Some info on your OS and browser would help to give better answers.

a) my SB3 seems slow/reluctant to recognise Plugins loaded. I installed AlienBBC but nothing appeared on the player. Turned player off/on, restarted server several times and then suddenly it appeared. Problem again getting the Song Scanner plug in to work. It showed in the Server|Plugin web page but nothing on the player. Powered off/on, exited server, started etc etc and then it eventually appeared under my Plugins menu on the player. This doesn't seem right.

as per the instructions, AlienBBC will only be loaded after server is restarted.

Also your browser caches pages and so changes to web pages may not appear immediately. Without going through an uninstall / re-install to be sure what is happening, I would advise if you have similar problems, first clear the browser cache.

andybr
2007-08-27, 14:56
I ahould say that the Slimserver is running on a Windows XP system. Browser used to display the Slimserver config is IE 7.

But the problem is not getting the Plugins visible on the server web config pages but getting the same plugins to appear on the SB3 menus.

Andy

bpa
2007-08-27, 15:17
The behaviour you describe is not normal and if it happens consistently then there may be something odd in your setup. If the problem recur, then it is possible to get some debug output to help to identify the issue.

Re: AlienBBC - could it be that initially on the SB3 you looked under Plugins and not Internet radio.

andybr
2007-08-30, 11:52
I will see how to generate some more debug info and see if that helps identify the problem with the OGGs.
Andy

andybr
2007-09-02, 01:59
Well looking at debug options on the server there are loads of options to select. What would I need to log to see why I get the problem FF/RW or scanning the OGG files?

Note that I did manage to get a Linux based Slimserver operational on 6.5.4 (that's another story altogether) and found exactly the same OGG problem there. So is it something about the way the OGG files were encoded maybe? Only setting I had was a quality setting from 1-10. I used 5 or 6 I recall. VBR at about 170kbps average. I may see if I can find a different ripper and see if that makes a differemce.

Seems odd that no-one else has had any problems as I describe with OGG files??

The plugins showed up immediaely on the Linux server and so I'm putting the plugin problem down to a glitch or simply beginner's unfamiliarity.

Andy

CatBus
2007-09-02, 10:54
Probably it's this:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3809

andybr
2007-09-03, 11:54
Thanks. Will save me trying to find a fix or a workaround
Andy