PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bad WiFi-reception

teddy278
2007-08-26, 23:02
Hi,

i just got around to testing my new SB3, but the thingy seems to have very bad Wifi-reception. I tried the new one out in the same places as the old one, but the buffer doesn't really fill up and sooner or later there are dropouts (well, rather sooner than later).

Signal strength is 40%-50%. The old one has 50%-60% and works like a charm.

What can I do except sending the new box back?

Greetings!
teddy

ceejay
2007-08-27, 01:16
First thing is to try different channel settings on your wireless router (1, 6, 11 for example).

Ceejay

teddy278
2007-08-27, 01:29
Hi.

First thing is to try different channel settings on your wireless router (1, 6, 11 for example).

Thanks for your input. Why should I do this when device a works fine and device b does not? Note that "a" and "b" are both squeezeboxes.

Of course I am already using a channel not occupied by my neighbours at the moment and some 3 or 4 channels away from the next occupied one.

I did a few more tests. Changing position of the new squeezebox helps - however, the old one worked whereever I placed it. The new squeezebox has dropouts both in my living room and my bedroom, the old one still works fine there. I also tried to synchronize the boxes, which was a bad idea of course - I suppose that two FLAC-streams are too much for one WLAN anyway.

I already ordered two more homeplugs - just as I was starting to feel that wlan might be usable for more than surfing the net... Well, seems it's not. ;-)

Greetings!
teddy

ceejay
2007-08-27, 05:20
Well, the reason for suggesting what looks like a piece of black magic is that consumer wireless LANs are inherently very flaky things, and the slightest difference between two apparently identical devices could easily throw you out.

As far as the channels go - 3 or 4 channels away from a neighbour may not be enough, there is a lot of overlap between channels. There is also the question of other interference sources such as microwaves and cordless phones, which won't show up when you do a wireless channel scan.

A Wireless LAN ought to be able to handle two FLAC streams easily (less than 1 Mbit each), if not then you do have interference or other similar issues.

I've not tried homeplugs as I'm lucky enough to have mine working (3 SB devices) but they do sound like a good backup plan.

Good luck!

Ceejay

bpa
2007-08-27, 06:42
Is your server using a wired or wireless connection to the router ?

If it is wireless then you have 4 not 2 Flac streams on the WLAN.

teddy278
2007-08-27, 07:59
Hi,

after some years of wifi I have a very strong belief in black magic - and wired networks, as a matter of fact. ;-) My home seems to be very well insulated against all kinds of em waves.

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are occupied by named networks in my neighbourhood - where "1" is occupied only by my own network. I tried some channel-hopping when my first squeezebox was new, and found that channel 1 works best. I could hop some more tonight, but i doubt that the situation will improve significantly.

My notebook works pretty well with connections of 24-54 Mbps, but I'm sure those numbers are just that: numbers. The first squeezebox also works great, as long as it's alone.

The server is connected via homeplug, so no wireless problems here. Bandwith is between 150 and 180 Mbps. That should be enough.

It looks to me as if my first squeezebox was barely this side of usability, and the second one now is just that tiny bit over the edge (and drags down the working squeezebox as well when it's playing). Perhaps I could set up another AP as a repeater. Slow but reliable network should be better for streaming than fast network with lots of noise?

I think in my environment, homeplug is the way to go since wlan is just too flimsy. Sheesh, my dsl-connection is actually faster than my wlan. Don't know why I still think wlan could work for me. ;-)

Greetings!
teddy

mvalera
2007-08-27, 09:25
Another wired to the router AP is likely a good idea.

Mike

teddy278
2007-08-27, 09:40
Hi.

Another wired to the router AP is likely a good idea.

Huh? Sorry, I don't get it - what am I supposed to wire where now? ;-)

Greetings!
teddy

pfarrell
2007-08-27, 09:56
teddy278 wrote:
> mvalera;223184 Wrote:
>> Another wired to the router AP is likely a good idea.
>
> Huh? Sorry, I don't get it - what am I supposed to wire where now? ;-)

I'm not mvalera, but if you have a setup that looks like

SlimServer --- wireless --- access point ---- wireless ---- squeezebox
you are using the wireless ether for too many messages, at least if you
are having problems. So change it to something like

SlimServer --- wired --- access point ---- wireless ---- squeezebox

This will greatly improve things.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

bpa
2007-08-27, 10:01
Teddy278's server is already wired to the router - he is using homeplugs.

teddy278
2007-08-28, 01:39
Hi,

just a tiny update: I added a wireless repeater to my fridge (physically) and my network (logically). That seems to do the trick: streaming works OK, even with two synchronized squeezeboxes. When I disconnect the repeater, buffer(s) run out. So it does have some effect.

I'll test some more, of course (probably every night from now on...), but I already cancelled the order for additional homeplugs.

Oooh, I love WLAN where everything can change when you add another device. :-(

Greetings!
teddy

bpa
2007-08-28, 01:51
In Europe Channel 13 is available - very few people use it and so is good for minimal interference but you may get some problem as not all devices test the use of it very well.

An example would be, you can may be able set the device to use 13 but subsequent menus won't display beyond 11.

teddy278
2007-08-28, 01:59
Hi.

In Europe Channel 13 is available - very few people use it and so is good for minimal interference but you may get some problem as not all devices test the use of it very well.

An example would be, you can may be able set the device to use 13 but subsequent menus won't display beyond 11.

The WAP45Gs I use do not offer channel 13. But as far as I can see, channel 1 is as free as it gets. My problem seems to be the thick walls that surround me.

Greetings!
teddy

egd
2007-08-28, 03:22
From what I've read you can have up to ten netplugs in your home concurrently and from experience they're generally rock solid, so I'd opt for more netplugs over wireless everytime.

teddy278
2007-08-28, 03:46
Hi.

From what I've read you can have up to ten netplugs in your home concurrently and from experience they're generally rock solid, so I'd opt for more netplugs over wireless everytime.

My 3 Homeplugs are definitely rock solid, but two more would mean another 150 . So I'll try to get along with the cheaper solution - I had a spare WLAN-AP anyway.

If this doesn't work, I'll certainly expand my powerline-network.

Greetings!
teddy

teddy278
2007-08-28, 15:36
Hi all,

OK - this might get boring, but I'll tell you anyway.

The repeater solution lasted about 12 hours. Tonight, listening to music was no longer possible. D*mn, just when you need it most.

So I followed Ceejays advice and fiddled around with the channels (no, I didn't think I was too clever to try before now - just didn't have the patience...). I used netstumbler to figure out which channel might be better, and lo and behold: channel 9 has a slightly better snr than "my" channel 1.

So I skipped through the setup of one of the squeezeboxes (the other one being in the same room as my sleeping girlfriend), and it looks fine so far. OK - it looked fine before... excuse me if I won't celebrate just yet.

Greetings!
teddy

btw: I didn't receive any confirmation that my homeplug order has really been cancelled. If the stuff arrives tomorrow, I'll take that as a friendly nudge from fate and drop this futile wlan-experiment.

mvalera
2007-08-29, 14:40
Hi.

Huh? Sorry, I don't get it - what am I supposed to wire where now? ;-)

Greetings!
teddy

I was recommending adding a 2nd AP to increase your networks range. I'm assuming your wireless lan is running just off your router/wireless access point, correct? Wirless repeaters have never worked for me, but since you also have home plugs you could add a 2nd access point as long as you can connect it thru a wired ethernet connection (via home plugs) to the router.

That way you could have your router/access point for downstairs, and then use the home plugs to connect your router to a 2nd wireless access point upstairs, assuming you live in a 2 story house. If not just place the 2nd access point in the area where your connection is weak. As long as you use the same settings on both AP's your devices would jump to whichever AP had the stronger signal.

teddy278
2007-08-30, 13:42
Hi all,

I just entered the next and (hopefully) last level of this adventure game called "home networking".

WLAN channel 9 was fine until I used my DECT-phone. So much for that.

Switched back to channel 1. With careful positioning of the suqeezeboxes it's just about possible to listen to music. Don't know about you, but I can't relax when I'm always waiting for the next buffer underrun to occour.

But today my homeplugs arrived. Plugged them in, included them into my homeplug-network, and they work as expected. I had to move them around a bit since the electrics around my hifi is a bit crowded, but at least it's stable. So far.

@Michael: My flat is less than 90m on a single floor. It seems a bit like overkill to install two APs there.... so instead of installing two devices for wireless coverage (homeplug + AP) I rather installed two devices for wired connection (2x homeplugs for the squeezeboxes).

I won't be home during the weekend, which is a shame, but next week I'll test at least one squeezebox for at least one hour every day.

Greetings!
teddy