PDA

View Full Version : Differences in SB3 hardware?

UNCMo96
2007-08-26, 21:17
I bought a silver SB3 about 2 years ago (can't get silver anymore). Last year I bought a Black SB3. It seems that the black one has much better wifi reception than the silver. Is there any reason for this? Also, why did they stop making silver?

SuperQ
2007-08-26, 23:00
I bought a silver SB3 about 2 years ago (can't get silver anymore). Last year I bought a Black SB3. It seems that the black one has much better wifi reception than the silver. Is there any reason for this? Also, why did they stop making silver?

They might have changed wifi cards or antenna configurations.. if you look at the bottom it will say what kind of wifi card it has.

My all-black says: "Contains FCC ID: Q72WWLANTPBG"

funkstar
2007-08-27, 09:35
There hasn't been any change to the hardware since the SB3 was released.

What SlimServer version are you running? Have you updated the firmware of the SB3 since you got it?

There has been a lot of work done on the firmware as far as wirless compatability and performance is concerned.

As for the silver pannel, i think it was just a design decision to change it to black, probably just to re-fresh the look a little. Like when car manufacturers change the grill and headlights on a car ever so slightly a couple of years after the model is released.

peterw
2007-08-27, 20:20
There hasn't been any change to the hardware since the SB3 was released.

Minor change to the Burr-Brown DAC chip, right?

Sep 2005: Sean hadn't tested the "KE" version:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=52604&postcount=7

Mar 2007: some SB3 now have the KE chip:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33958&highlight=ke

I don't think that would be expected to affect wireless reception. Maybe you should re-seat your internal antenna connections?

funkstar
2007-08-28, 10:53
Minor change to the Burr-Brown DAC chip, right?
Well remembered, although this was a drop in replacement and as per Seans post:

Think of it like a speed rating on memory. If your spec calls for a 70ns speed, but the 60ns speed is more readily available, you can use them. The KE has better minimum specs than the E. However, SB3 significantly outperforms the data sheet specs for both grades even with an E in there. AFAICT they perform exactly the same.
This will have had no effect on wireless perfomrance. In fact, it probably had no effect on any performace aspect.

UNCMo96
2007-08-31, 07:21
It's fine now since I switched to powerline ethernet so WiFi reception is a moot point. Thanks.