PDA

View Full Version : SB3 internet/network conflict?

toby10
2007-08-25, 12:15
My SB3 works flawlessly playing internet radio feeds with seldom a need for re-buffering........except when another computer is active on my network. Then, both computer & SB3 lose their internet connection. The computer(s) simply reconnect to the internet but the SB3 just sits there doing nothing as if it were still playing the internet radio.

My network (all wired, no wireless):
cable modem ====> internet gateway (Linksys WRT54G, DHCP enabled) =====> router (WRT54GL set as router, DHCP DISABLED) =====> SB3

As I know NOTHING about networking I'm thinking one of two possible causes:

1. bandwith is being reached or exceeded with too many devices accessing the internet?
2. Some sort of network conflict? Two devices are getting confused with each other?

I've checked the IP address' of each/every unit on the network and I don't see any diplicate IP address'.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to troubleshoot this is greatly appreciated! :)

dem
2007-08-25, 13:49
I suggest having only one device doing routing on your network. That just really simplifies things. Can you set the WRT54GL to bridge? I know not all Linksys routers have an option to bridge.

toby10
2007-08-26, 05:37
I suggest having only one device doing routing on your network. That just really simplifies things. Can you set the WRT54GL to bridge? I know not all Linksys routers have an option to bridge.

Hi dem. Thanks for responding. No, the WRT54GL only has two options for selecting it's basic operation, Gateway & Router. Another SB poster suggested the following setup when I asked for ideas on properly configuring a second "device" at my AVR equipment: WRT54GL, set to ROUTER, turn OFF all security and wireless and DHCP, take gateway OUT port 1 to router OUT port 4, add any needed devices to router OUT ports 1 or 2 or 3.

The above configuration makes the router act more like a simple "hub", the way I understand it. And it works GREAT until I run one of my computers. Mind you, I am NOT doing any serious downloads on my computer, just general internet access. I'm also starting to get a warning message on my computer "Windows has detected that there is a conflict with two devices on your network" or something like that.

Sounds like you are thinking the problem is with the two routers getting confused? Maybe replace the second router with another type of hub-switch-router-thingamabob?

I'll gladly add or replace any additional device to resolve the problem. Any ideas?

Many thanks. :)

dem
2007-08-26, 06:03
I was thinking perhaps both routers were doing NAT, and double NAT is a bad idea. But from your description it sounds like you're using the L only as a switch, which should be OK. But I don't have any experience with recent Linksys equipment.

This page (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3733&lid=6802968739B01) from Linksys about how to daisy chain routers might provide some useful hints.

If you want to try a different device to see if it cures the problem, replace the L with a simple switch.

toby10
2007-08-26, 10:17
I was thinking perhaps both routers were doing NAT, and double NAT is a bad idea. But from your description it sounds like you're using the L only as a switch, which should be OK. But I don't have any experience with recent Linksys equipment.

This page (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3733&lid=6802968739B01) from Linksys about how to daisy chain routers might provide some useful hints.

If you want to try a different device to see if it cures the problem, replace the L with a simple switch.

Thanks again dem. If I used a "switch" as you described, would that allow three different devices (computers, SB3, etc..) to utilize that switch all at the same time? i.e. I won't have to "switch" between devices?

dem
2007-08-26, 10:32
You can connect as many devices simultaneously to a switch as the switch has ports. Typical home networking switches have four or eight ports. You'll need one port to connect to your router.

A switch is similar to a hub, but is more efficient.