PDA

View Full Version : Minimum configuration for Slimserver

gng
2007-08-25, 01:52
Hi!

I would like to build a Windows platform media server pc dedicated to Slimserver only. (I will use my NAS to store my flac collection.)

I am thinking of a 7/24 mediaserver from used parts. The only problem is that I don't know what is the minimum configuration for slimserver.

My main goal is to build a low consumption server.

Could you help me with minimum configuration and/or hardware tips.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-25, 08:43
If you're building from *used* parts and want low power consumption, avoid the NetBurst-based Intel CPUs (Pentium 4, especially Prescott). Look for a Pentium III. 700 MHz + ought to do.

RAM is important, especially on a Windows machine. If it will be solely dedicated to SlimServer, 512 MB ought to do. I ran 512 MB with Windows XP, SlimServer and general desktop usage without problems. But if you want to do anything else with it, 1 GB would be more comfortable.

If you were to build it from new parts, something based on a VIA mini-ITX board and one of their low power consumption processors would be good but fairly expensive for what you get. However, if you choose your components right, you can go completely fanless.

gng
2007-08-25, 15:30
Mark,

Thank you!

If you're building from *used* parts and want low power consumption, avoid the NetBurst-based Intel CPUs (Pentium 4, especially Prescott). Look for a Pentium III. 700 MHz + ought to do.

RAM is important, especially on a Windows machine. If it will be solely dedicated to SlimServer, 512 MB ought to do. I ran 512 MB with Windows XP, SlimServer and general desktop usage without problems. But if you want to do anything else with it, 1 GB would be more comfortable.

If you were to build it from new parts, something based on a VIA mini-ITX board and one of their low power consumption processors would be good but fairly expensive for what you get. However, if you choose your components right, you can go completely fanless.