PDA

View Full Version : infrant ready nas nv+ & slim server

dhinesh
2007-08-24, 22:09
It is clear that slimdevices will no longer provide updates for the Infrant REady Nas NV+. REceived this information from the support staff at slimdevices. But what gets me is that slimdevices is still selling the squeezebox and the Infrant Ready Nas NV+ as a package on their website. I am sure that this will influence many people to buy the Ready Nas NV+ for the squeezebox.

I bought the Ready Nas NV+ as the slimdevices website suggested that it was easy to use and the fact that they sell it as a package with the squeezebox implicitly sendS A message across that its better to us the Ready Nas NV+ compared to any other NAS. This is a pity as we are being misguided into buying this package. The fact of the matter is that slim server updates for the Ready Nas NV+ are not out despite the fact that slimserver 6.5.3 & 6.5.4 are out. The last update for the Ready Nas NV+ was the 6.5.2. We can not get any more updates as the folks at Infrant are still working on the slimserver update for the Ready Nas NV+ and can not give a definite time frame!?!?!!!!!! Wow! so much for Corporate Efficiency!!!

In my view, Slimdevices should discontinue selling the squeezebox / Ready Nas NV+ Package as the support from both companies for this package is not good. People like me were misguided into thinking that this is a good package as it is sold on the slimdevices website. Unfortunately, this is not true as the support in terms of timely updates is just not there. Request Slimdevices to take action to ensure other people are not misguided.

PLEASE STOP SELLING THE READY NAS NV+ ON THE SLIMDEVICES WEBSITE AND SPARE YOUR CONSUMERS THE PAIN OF NOT BEING ABLE TO UPDATE THE SLIMSERVER SOFTWARE FOR THIS PACKAGE.

Thanks

SuperQ
2007-08-24, 22:45
It is clear that slimdevices will no longer provide updates for the Infrant REady Nas NV+. REceived this information from the support staff at slimdevices. But what gets me is that slimdevices is still selling the squeezebox and the Infrant Ready Nas NV+ as a package on their website. I am sure that this will influence many people to buy the Ready Nas NV+ for the squeezebox. Thanks

Slimdevices never provided any slimserver for the readynas afaik. Slimserver support on the ReadyNAS was always provided by Infrant.

Ever since Infrant got bought by netgear there have been no new releases. Sad that they couldn't release a decent development kit for their box so someone at Slimdevices could update Slimserver.

dhinesh
2007-08-25, 05:15
Thanks for the info. Was wondering if you heard that the latest Raidiator (operating system for the Infrant Ready Nas NV+) that will be out soon version 4 may have the slimserver update and it may provide access to the root. Do you think access to the root will help in resolving the issue. BTW, I downloaded 6.5.2 from the slimdevices website, they used to have Infrant as a choice. This is now gone. Very unfortunate as if there is no solution may have to cut loss and get some other NAS

egd
2007-08-25, 05:27
Very unfortunate as if there is no solution may have to cut loss and get some other NAS

Search the forums for posts regarding the Thecus N5200 and N5200PRO for a decent solution.

dhinesh
2007-08-25, 05:52
Found your response to a thread posted by someone else and you recommended Thecus. Looked up the Thecus N5200Pro. Very Impressive! It was also mentioned in the Thread that it has a celeron M processor @ 1.5 GHZ and this makes it faster than the Infrant Processor.

One Question: Where is the slimserver installed? On the Thecus? or do you have another PC? If on the Thecus, what operating system does the Thecus use: Windows, Linux or something else?

funkstar
2007-08-25, 08:26
The Thecus runs on a version of the Linux kernel. I presume it is a custom build as opposed to being based on any particular disrtibution.

To install SlimServer on a Thecus, you download the specially built module file into a specific location and the unit then installs it. This is a similar way to most NAS boxes, the advantage of Thecus modules is they are pretty open so if Thecus were to drop support, the community can carry on with it. You can't do that with the Infrant.

As a rule of humb, all NAS boxes run Linux. Some enterprise level systems run Windows Server, but you are talking several thousand dollars/pounds for these

SuperQ
2007-08-25, 09:01
Found your response to a thread posted by someone else and you recommended Thecus. Looked up the Thecus N5200Pro. Very Impressive! It was also mentioned in the Thread that it has a celeron M processor @ 1.5 GHZ and this makes it faster than the Infrant Processor.

Don't just look at the Mhz when looking at the speed of the device. The CPU in the infrant is based on the Sun Sparc server chip, but designed from the ground up to do NAS work.

The Thecus does look good, but I don't see slimdevices support listed anywhere on their normal website. Only vague listings about it in the forums

SuperQ
2007-08-25, 09:03
As a rule of humb, all NAS boxes run Linux. Some enterprise level systems run Windows Server, but you are talking several thousand dollars/pounds for these

And they suck much more than the similar vendors.. take EMC, they run windows, and their systems are terrible compared to NetApp which runs BSD.

funkstar
2007-08-25, 11:46
Don't just look at the Mhz when looking at the speed of the device.
Oh absolutely. But a 1.5GHz x86 processor compaired to a 280MHz embeded RISC processor is a no brainer really as far as raw processing performance is concerned. This doesn't make the N5200 a better NAS device, but it does make it a better NAS device for hosting MySQL and SlimServer :)

When the ReadyNAS was first designed i don't think you would have been able to build an x86 system with compaible performance for the same money, but now you can, and it blows the RISC based system out of the water in performace terms.

The Thecus does look good, but I don't see slimdevices support listed anywhere on their normal website. Only vague listings about it in the forums
Is this really a problem? We have seen two NAS systems that originally had vendor support for SlimServer gradually drop support for it (first Progressive AV with the Qnap units and not Infrant/Netgear by the looks of things). At least with Thecus, the ability to add *any* software to the unit has been made available, so at any point someone else can come along and support it.

And they suck much more than the similar vendors.. take EMC, they run windows, and their systems are terrible compared to NetApp which runs BSD.
Thats an argument for another tread :) anyway i have no experience of them so i'd be taking your word for it, i was just stating the facts :)

dhinesh
2007-08-25, 20:01
thanks superq & funkstar. Am not a very technical person but the info you have given will certainly help in making the right choices. If only I had known this before I bought the infrant! Expensive learning experience!!

dhinesh
2007-08-25, 20:13
"To install SlimServer on a Thecus, you download the specially built module file into a specific location and the unit then installs it."

Is this module file the Linux file that we can down load from the slimdevices website? Or is it from another location. Tks

funkstar
2007-08-26, 01:52
The module is a specially packaged version of SlimServer, so no, no the normal Linux package from the Slimdevices download page.

There is what you are looking for:
http://onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_SLIMSERVER

egd
2007-08-26, 02:34
One Question: Where is the slimserver installed?

On the Thecus, which runs off a Linux kernel.

Thecus have not provided their own slimserver module, but have created a module framework that allows anyone who cares to, to create, install and run their own modules - in effect a "roll your own" solution. A slimserver module has been created and runs very, very reliably and fast. I have a massive library and slimserver manages it with ease, running on the NAS - I would even go so far as to say that browsing cover art on the NAS is an order of magnitude faster than doing the same with the same library from a slimserver instance running on a Core 2 Duo PC with 2GB RAM and w2k3 installed. Go figure.

To install SlimServer on a Thecus, you download the specially built module file into a specific location and the unit then installs it.

You can download the module to any place you like on your PC or a network drive. All modules are installed via Thecus' web interface.

funkstar
2007-08-26, 05:00
You can download the module to any place you like on your PC or a network drive. All modules are installed via Thecus' web interface.
ok, that bit i didn't know :)

The N5200Pro is getting more and more tempting all the time...

egd
2007-08-26, 06:23
The N5200Pro is getting more and more tempting all the time...

I'm very happy with mine and would buy one again if I was to make the decision again. If you're in the market for a NAS I think you'd be hard pressed to look past it. As a bonus you get to run slimserver on it, bypassing your PCs altogether should you wish.

funkstar
2007-08-26, 06:27
I just have to decide between one of these or a RAID card for my HTPC.

How is it for noise? I'd be tempted to hook the drives up to my PC and trun on the accoustic management before installing them in the NAS.

dhinesh
2007-08-26, 07:35
Went to the link mentioned in funkstars reply. Wow! slimserver 6.5.4 is already available for down load; unlike the folks at infrant. Very Impressive! Who builds these modules? Thecus?

Pellicle
2007-08-26, 09:26
Thecus provides the framework to install third party modules. The module for Slimserver is built by users. Andreas in the Thecus forums has done most of this work.

It is not controlled by Thecus. I think this is a good thing. As we have seen with other NAS support SS is not key to their business plans and support may ebb and flow. However with control in the hands of users who care support can continue even after the company has moved to new products. I plan on keeping mine for more than a couple of years!!

egd
2007-08-26, 14:06
I just have to decide between one of these or a RAID card for my HTPC.

How is it for noise? I'd be tempted to hook the drives up to my PC and trun on the accoustic management before installing them in the NAS.

I'm running 5 x 750GB Seagate server drives in it and it is quiet enough not to interfere with my listening in the study. It is quieter than either of my PCs, though obviously not silent.

funkstar
2007-08-27, 09:28
I'm running 5 x 750GB Seagate server drives in it and it is quiet enough not to interfere with my listening in the study. It is quieter than either of my PCs, though obviously not silent.
Well at least it isn't a wind turbine like some units have been described as :)

I'll have to wait a couple of months, but i think i'm goingto take the plunge. I can hide it away in a closset too.

Pellicle
2007-08-27, 09:32
I had mine in my office for a while during configuration and fiddling stage. Now I have moved to to the basement with the UPS, cable modem and router. This keeps me connected even during power outages and eliminates of all the clutter (or at least removes it from sight).

funkstar
2007-08-27, 09:46
What about plugins? Specifically AlienBBC...

Pellicle
2007-08-27, 14:25
I have tied several plug-ins with no problem. Just drop them in the plug-in directory and they have worked.

However, I beleive some plug-ins are Windows specific and if I recall Alien is one of these. If so it will not work but you should check the requirements of the plug-in.

bpa
2007-08-27, 14:36
AlienBBC needs a version of mplayer appropriate to the OS. mplayer is only bundled with the AlienBBC Windows installer. For Linux and OSX, the AlienBBC tar file does not include mplayer.

On Linux systems AlienBBC also needs /dev/fd devices (file descriptor device not floppy disk) support. If /dev/fd is not available (as on some NAS) then a special build of mplayer is needed and some mods to other files.

Pellicle
2007-08-27, 17:22
So based n BPA's input
1) The n5200 does not currently have mplayer installed.
2) I do not believe it has dev/fd dervices support

Therefore a special build would be required. This is possible but is not available currently.

funkstar
2007-08-28, 10:50
So based n BPA's input
1) The n5200 does not currently have mplayer installed.
2) I do not believe it has dev/fd dervices support

Therefore a special build would be required. This is possible but is not available currently.
Damn. Thanks for the input though. I know there are builds of mplayer for other NAS boxes, even my Qnap TS-101 (now redundant) had AlienBBC installed and working.

I wish i could contribute to this project myself, but i'm not a programmer and never been able to get my head around linux as a desktop OS :)

Pellicle
2007-08-28, 12:23
Development is fairly strong in the forum and I am I would say there is a good chance this might be done relatively quickly.
It also shows the Slimserver community values the work being done on SS.
http://thecususergroup.proboards106.com

funkstar
2007-08-28, 12:32
Thanks for te link, i'll have a nosey round :)

egd
2007-08-28, 13:18
...and never been able to get my head around linux as a desktop OS :)

Download a copy of Ubuntu and then point your browser to http://www.ubuntuguide.org. You can run Ubuntu on your existing PC without having to actually go through an installation. This will give you a good feel for how well your hardware is supported (likely fully supported) and also the look and feel of the desktop.

jaysung
2007-09-04, 11:50
Hi, being a n5200 user I just wanted to say that I am committed to get alienbbc working. I have opened a specific thread here:
alienbbc on thecus n5200 - Slim Devices : Community : Forums http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=225075#post225075post225075

I have only little experiences with compiling let allone patching mplayer. But I will do it. H_ELP is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Jeronimo