PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer as Internet Radio..need help.

kyleabaker
2007-08-24, 14:12
Is it possible to setup SlimServer to use one single playlist for all users who connect when using it as an Internet Radio server (just streaming over the Internet)? I've found that each time a friend connects I have to create another playlist for that individual rather than making one-for-all. I won't have more than say 5-6 people connecting to it, but I'd rather not make a separate playlist for each. I don't really want to sign-up to a 3rd party website that rebroadcasts the stream, so any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

JJZolx
2007-08-24, 14:31
Is it possible to setup SlimServer to use one single playlist for all users who connect when using it as an Internet Radio server (just streaming over the Internet)? I've found that each time a friend connects I have to create another playlist for that individual rather than making one-for-all. I won't have more than say 5-6 people connecting to it, but I'd rather not make a separate playlist for each. I don't really want to sign-up to a 3rd party website that rebroadcasts the stream, so any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

After someone connects you could synch their player (identified by IP address) to all the others. You realize, though, that if you have six people connected that this will require six times the bandwidth of a single user.

SlimServer _really_ isn't designed to do this.

kyleabaker
2007-08-24, 14:35
I have a connection via NCSU so bandwidth really isn't an issue, however, what other more efficient methods would you suggest? I'll use the sync method for now, but if there is a much easier way please feel free to share. I was originally just looking for a program to stream any audio coming from my PC to the Internet so I could stream from say a media player or something, but I had no luck finding what I was looking for.

I did see where SlimServer mentioned that it just had the capability so that is why I choose to try it out. I understand that the reason I'm using it is not the reason it was developed, however, it has turned out to be a very nice setup except for this one thing. :D

peterw
2007-08-24, 14:46
I have a connection via NCSU so bandwidth really isn't an issue, however, what other more efficient methods would you suggest? I'll use the sync method for now, but if there is a much easier way please feel free to share. I was originally just looking for a program to stream any audio coming from my PC to the Internet so I could stream from say a media player or something, but I had no luck finding what I was looking for.

Icecast and Shoutcast are the most popular packages for such broadcasting, and are typically much better suited to this sort of venture than SlimServer.