PDA

View Full Version : UK portable Flac players

mudlark
2007-08-24, 02:01
Hi Folks,

Can anyone give me an opinion on the following. Which model best place to buy and why the model is good.

Best flac player up to 150.00

best flac player (portable) regardless of price.

And no I'm not going to run a PC and squeezebox in my car!!!!

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike.

DrNic
2007-08-24, 02:29
I wouldn't suggest you use a PC & Squeezebox in the car. But I question the need for FLAC on a portable device to be listened to in a non-critical environment though. Do you really need lossless when in your car/train/tube etc? High quality MP3 is fine for this IMHO. You then have more storage space to carry around your whole collection.
I have FLAC for my home use on the SB3's and MP3 mirror for the Sony MP3 player, the rips are performed simultaneoulsy by EAC using MAREO, so there is no extra work.

How about that?

Nic

slimpy
2007-08-24, 02:31
Have a look at the Trekstor Vibez, the successor of the discontinued Rio Karma.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrekStor-Vibez-12GB-HDD-Player/dp/B000JG36R4
Storage might be a bit on the lower limit with flac files (12GB) but overall it's a very reliable player with great features.
Review: http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2007/08/01/TrekStor-vibez-12GB-/p1

-s.

darrenyeats
2007-08-24, 02:46
See http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware and scroll down a bit... Personally I have a Rio Karma.
Darren

darrenyeats
2007-08-24, 02:53
PS: I agree that in most of the environments that a pmp is used, background noise is far more important than MP3 vs FLAC. That's why I'm happy to use my Sony Ericcson W800i phone to play MP3s, when I don't have the Rio Karma with me.

PPS: I use Sennheiser PX-100 headphones with both players.

adhawkins
2007-08-24, 03:37
Hi,

In article <mudlark.2vtbmb1187946301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
mudlark<mudlark.2vtbmb1187946301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Can anyone give me an opinion on the following. Which model best place
> to buy and why the model is good.
>
> Best flac player up to 150.00
>
> best flac player (portable) regardless of price.

You could always buy something like an iPod and install rockbox. I have it
running on my iPod 4G and it's great.

However, I'd question the need for FLAC in a car. As others have said, it's
hardly the most 'sterile' listening environment. I have my library all
exported as OGGs and play these on the iPod. They sound just fine to me in
the car.

> And no I'm not going to run a PC and squeezebox in my car!!!!

It has been done. Search the forums!

Andy

Heuer
2007-08-24, 06:30
I ran a 60Gb iPod using lossless files (2,500 songs fitted) but the first problem I found was the battery life was reduced from 16 hours to about 3 hours - the HD was constantly spinning.

As there are two 60Gb iPod's in the house I kept one with lossless and the other with MP3 files. I have a very high quality car which is both quiet and has a good hi-fi system fitted. In all honesty I could not tell the difference between lossless and MP3 files when driving or indeed via a pair of Shure E5c earphones when travelling by plane/train.

All my FLAC's are now converted to MP3's for the iPod's (thank you Robin - FLAC2MP3 script)with the lossless files reserved for my Transporter and hi-fi.

Keith
2007-08-24, 07:47
I agree with Heuer regarding the percievable differences with MP3 on portable devices, I cannot comment on the car as mine is only quiet when it's parked with the engine off so it's irrelvant about the quality or image of the sound, mind you some would say the same about my car... Makes a lot of noise and has limited, if any, image, oh hum...

I've tried with different sampling speeds with MP3 and find that 128 is acceptable for most portable listening (sounds pants when played back through the main sytem though).

I've been using media centre (http://www.jrmediacenter.com/) and this allows me keep my portable devices up to date while at the same time automatically converting them to MP3 where required (I keep a cache of MP3 files so that if I select a specific file that's already been converted the system uses that rather than reconverting the FLAC file)

mudlark
2007-08-24, 09:05
Thanks folks for all the advice.

The reason that i was considering a flac player is that most of my music is stored as flac and I was considering avoiding the maintenance of two stores of music.

I'll stick with the MP3 players I think.

amey01
2007-08-27, 18:16
PS: I agree that in most of the environments that a pmp is used, background noise is far more important than MP3 vs FLAC. That's why I'm happy to use my Sony Ericcson W800i phone to play MP3s, when I don't have the Rio Karma with me.

PPS: I use Sennheiser PX-100 headphones with both players.

Noise is a great issue - that's why I use a pair of Shure e4 'phones! They cut about as much noise as the active ones, but all frequencies, not just bass, and they don't interfere with the sound quality!

FWIW, I use a 60GB iPod running the Rockbox firmware.