PDA

View Full Version : Radio for Complete Beginner

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-24, 00:51
Just got my SB3 and am really impressed. This is a great site and I wouldn't have considered purchasing the SB without the help and support it provides.
Can any one help me regarding the radio side of things. I notice the bitrates of the radio streams in Squeezenetwork seem very low. Is there any means of getting them at a better quality? If I enter a URL myself through SS and into favourites will that help and will it play with my PC off.
Sorry if this is a bit basic but I am very new to this and am not very IT literate.

mherger
2007-08-24, 01:31
> Can any one help me regarding the radio side of things. I notice the
> bitrates of the radio streams in Squeezenetwork seem very low. Is
> there any means of getting them at a better quality? If I enter a URL
> myself through SS and into favourites will that help and will it play
> with my PC off.

Exactly: you can always add your own streams to the favorites in SQN. They will play fine as long as they don't require transcoding (eg. Real streams).

Michael

DrNic
2007-08-24, 02:39
I notice the bitrates of the radio streams in Squeezenetwork seem very low.

Welcome,
What streams do you feel are "very low" bit rates?
Are they the Radio IO ones - if so, without a soundpass (the free account at least) I think they are streamed in lower quality. Otherwise if you trawl the Shoutcast lists there are loads at 128kbps and a few even higher than that - but they are few and far between for obvious bandwidth cost issues.

Nic

Hudsonrilke
2007-08-24, 02:53
Many thanks for your replies. I was looking for specifics in Slim Picks, a couple of German stations but only streaming at 32Kbs.