PDA

View Full Version : Network capability question

glashoppah
2007-08-23, 10:26
Two quick questions before I purchase... will this device utilize a SlimServer across a routed boundary? Most of these types of devices seem to expect that the server will be on the same sub-network as the player. I want to be able to designate the server and have the device find it through a router. My wireless network is not the same sub-network as my server.

And - does the SlimServer work on Windows 2003 server?

Thanks,

g.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-23, 10:36
It even works across the Internet... (of course on the wild internet bandwidth and security could be an issue...)

The only thing that won't work is the "autodiscovery of the server" that needs UDP broadcast to work. If you set the server IP manually, you are fine.

There are several people running windows2003 server... you could download the software, install it, and play with it from a laptop or another machine to see how well it works.

mherger
2007-08-23, 10:36
> Two quick questions before I purchase... will this device utilize a
> SlimServer across a routed boundary?

Yes. You'll have to configure the server's address in the player manually then, but it's working.

> And - does the SlimServer work on Windows 2003 server?

Of course.

Michael

glashoppah
2007-08-23, 11:18
It even works across the Internet... (of course on the wild internet bandwidth and security could be an issue...)

The only thing that won't work is the "autodiscovery of the server" that needs UDP broadcast to work. If you set the server IP manually, you are fine.

There are several people running windows2003 server... you could download the software, install it, and play with it from a laptop or another machine to see how well it works.

Thank you.

g.

glashoppah
2007-08-23, 11:20
-snip-
> And - does the SlimServer work on Windows 2003 server?[/color]

Of course.

Michael

Thank you for your reply.

The software compatibilty matrix for SlimServer lists XP, NT and Win2k, not Win2k3. I have a number of pieces of software that work fine with that list but won't work with Win2k3. So I'm not sure it's an "of course."

g.

mherger
2007-08-23, 11:32
> The software compatibilty matrix for SlimServer lists XP, NT and Win2k,
> not Win2k3. I have a number of pieces of software that work fine with
> that list but won't work with Win2k3. So I'm not sure it's an "of
> course."

Oh great!... thanks for the feedback. Will have it updated.

Michael

glashoppah
2007-08-23, 12:12
... thanks for the information again.

Will SlimServer serve music to a PS3? It'd be kick ass if it would.

g.

andyg
2007-08-23, 12:35
... thanks for the information again.

Will SlimServer serve music to a PS3? It'd be kick ass if it would.

g.

No, see bug 5091 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5091). It's quite outside of the scope of what SlimServer should be doing IMO. It sounds like an ideal thing for a plugin though.

glashoppah
2007-08-23, 12:52
No, see bug 5091 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5091). It's quite outside of the scope of what SlimServer should be doing IMO. It sounds like an ideal thing for a plugin though.

I of course don't care exactly how it's done (plugin vs native, etc.) but it seems like, as with a lot of other things, every provider of a streaming music solution has its own server ideas and technology. So my server is running TiVo's server and Onkyo's NetTune and now Slim, etc. etc. etc. So my request was really more of wishful thinking regarding a single source for serving, since Win2k3 won't run Windows Media Player 10 or greater, so my PS3 is out of the loop on music services (since the damn thing won't reach across routed boundaries for servers).

Note that several bases could be covered by such a DLNA plugin - of course, your bug info covers that. :)

Fun fun fun.

g.

glashoppah
2007-08-28, 01:41
... and it took me less than 2 minutes to go from power on to all set up and ready. Unreal. Very very cool stuff.

And a great match to my Harmony 1000 remote.

g.