PDA

View Full Version : CPU Usage in Ubuntu 7.04

Ambrotos
2007-08-21, 20:29
I'm having a strange problem with Slimserver in Ubuntu Feisty.

I installed Slimserver from Slimdevices' stable main repository (6.5.4 I believe) a couple of days ago, and everything was running fine. I was browsing the web interface and streaming music to my squeezebox no problem.

This evening I notice that System Monitor shows my CPU usage at 100%. Strangely, "top" shows that all of my processes are essentially idling. I figured it was a problem with one of the other services I recently installed (i.e. dnsmasq or hellanzb), so I start disabling things to find out what it was...

As soon as I "sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver stop", my CPU usage goes back down to 0. As soon as I restart slimserver, it jumps back up to 100%. Also, I can no longer access the web interface or stream to my squeezebox while slimserver is running. Netstat also shows that there is nothing listening on port 9000.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance,

-A

egd
2007-08-22, 12:40
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stumped.

Long short, but is slimserver perhaps trying to complete a library rescan?

Ambrotos
2007-08-23, 11:41
Actually, I think I found the problem. I tried to do an apt-get remove --purge slimserver, and it failed, reporting that there was an error stopping the mysql service. So I dug into mysql, and discovered that the /var/log/mysql directory permissions were set to read-only somehow. I re-enabled write access, purged slimserver and mysql, and apt-get installed slimserver again.

So far, everything is working ok. I imagine what was happening was that the slimserver_safe daemon was constantly trying to restart the slimserver process, which was failing because mysql wasn't running. Still can't explain how the permissions on the mysql log file got changed like that though. I've read in this forum that a couple of other people have experienced permission-related problems. Is this something that slimserver modifies occasionally? If so, in what manner?

-A