PDA

View Full Version : SS on a linux based multi user nas

jaysung
2007-08-21, 06:18
Hi,
my understanding is that Slimserver should have it's music stored in a public folder. I am running SS on a Thecus N5200 and the device is visible from the web. Problem with that is:
everybody knowing of the url should be able to mess arround with my music.
I would like to have SS running under a regular user of the group smbusers. Currently it runs under user nobody id being 99. I can not however set acl permissions for nobody since that user isn't listed under accounts / users.
Omega, do you have an idea how to make the SS module run under a real user? Or is there a way to let SS use a private folder? Any clues are welcome. I have some experience with linux but don't expect too much. I was just happy for Omega having made the SS module so easy to install thanks. Can't say it often enough!

Pellicle
2007-08-24, 14:44
Jaysung,

What is your IP address? ;<)

I think this is a problem as well. I keep mine behind my router.
What services are exposed to the web? Just FTP or the web interface? You can enable https on the web interface and this will at least keep probing eyes out.

Why do you have it exposed to the web and how are you accessing it remotely?

Pellicle
2007-08-31, 20:06
Jaysung,
I don't know whether you resolved this but if not look at the following thread for a fix to allow a private directory.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38030

jaysung
2007-09-03, 02:27
Pelicle,
I have got ftp exposed to the web and ssh. I wasn't on the forum much since I was thinking about setting up an openvpn connection for my friends. So they would effectively be in my lan and all the problem would be bypassed. Will look at the thread suggested.

mflint
2007-09-03, 03:33
Hi,
my understanding is that Slimserver should have it's music stored in a public folder. I am running SS on a Thecus N5200 and the device is visible from the web. Problem with that is:
everybody knowing of the url should be able to mess arround with my music.

I'm confused.

If you don't want to expose SlimServer to the Wild Wild Web, then don't do it!

There is no requirement for SlimServer, or your music folder, to be available from the internet. SlimServer may need an internet connection (for internet radio, and other plugins), but that's not the same as SlimServer being accessible from the internet.

In my setup, SlimServer runs happily on my Kurobox safely behind a firewall and a NAT router.

Matthew

jaysung
2007-09-04, 02:13
Hi Mathew,
I have exposed ftp and ssh to the wild wild web since I and some others want to access files remotely.
Slimserver normally runs using a public folder for music storage. That means having ftp access as user foobar to one's home directory one has also access to all public folders. Which is normally OK since ftp is used to share non critical files with the wild wild web. I like however even for copyright reasons to have my music in a private folder.
I have however now created a user slimserver group smbusers. This user has now it's own directory under /raid/data/slimserver.
I have chowned all files under /raid/data/module/SLIMSERVER to slimserver:smbusers.
I have as Pelicle pointed out changed the user which starts slimserver to slimserver:smbusers. And all is well again. Thanx Pelicle for pointing out.

jaysung
2007-09-05, 06:03
Update: Remote streaming via lame failure occurs since having changed the ownership of slimserver.
Slimserverlog says:
2007-09-05 13:35:30.7848 scanPathOrURL: Finding valid files in: /raid/data/slimserver/audio/blues/Katie_Melua
2007-09-05 13:35:30.7857 About to look for files in /raid/data/slimserver/audio/blues/Katie_Melua
2007-09-05 13:35:30.7911 For files with extensions in: [(?i-xsm:\.(?:ape|wma|asf|wax|asx|lnk|wpl|shn|wav|wave| mp3|mp2|m3u|pls|xspf|flc|flac|fla|m4a|mov|m4b|mp4| cue|mp+|mpc|ogg|aif|aiff)$)]
2007-09-05 13:35:30.8010 Found 12 files in /raid/data/slimserver/audio/blues/Katie_Melua
2007-09-05 13:35:31.0578 ERROR: playmode: Couldn't gotoNext song on playlist, stopping
2007-09-05 13:36:59.3466 ERROR: file error - : not found

The LAME encoder appears to be installed correctly on your system.

Any help is greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Jeronimo

bloodyguitars
2007-09-08, 17:08
Hi Jaysung,

If you can explain me your settings that will be great.

Here are my settings,

I tried what Pellicle suggested, but that didnt work for me. I know I am doing something wrong.

Under Folders, the music folder is not public but browseable is set to yes.

I had changed NFS settings, but then I deleted that.

Under ACL, I dont see the user "sys" that I added to the module.rc file, but I have the "users" group which I have made writable.

In the module.rc file, I have user as sys and group as users.
I tried nogroup but that didnt work

No matter what, IF I make the folder private, it doesnt work :(

Please help

Please help