PDA

View Full Version : Very slow response browsing albums

mdconnelly
2007-08-20, 19:57
I'm running 6.5.4 on a Windows Vista Home Premium destop Dell. I've got about 400 albums, each in separate folders with cover art in nearly all.

When I browse by artist, response is very fast, but when I browse by album it is painfully slow and often leaves the left panel blank (never finishes loading). A browser refresh occasionally fixes it but often does not. This seems to occur on the slimserver computer as well as my laptop browsing to the server.

Any ideas? Thanks.

JJZolx
2007-08-20, 21:41
Browsing by album can be slow. Is it any faster if you do both of the following?

- Under Server Settings > Formatting disable 'Show artist with Albums'

- Browse by Album using a sort order that doesn't contain 'Artist'

mdconnelly
2007-08-21, 04:26
Yes, much faster... Thank you! Of course, without the artist, the album list is a bit less useful - particularly if you don't browse via cover art.

I hate to ask this but why wouldn't a well placed index or two solve this performance problem? (I work in IT and I know I hate questions like that ;-)

I guess what I would ideally like is an album list sorted by artist with cover art displayed. Is that possible?

JJZolx
2007-08-21, 10:04
Yes, much faster... Thank you! Of course, without the artist, the album list is a bit less useful - particularly if you don't browse via cover art.
I agree. It was just an experiment to see if the problem was the same one I've noted in the past.

I hate to ask this but why wouldn't a well placed index or two solve this performance problem?
No. The implementation is completely mucked up. The problem is that there are hundreds of database queries being run just to gather the artist information shown on the page, so no amount of indexing can fix that. See this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32527

I guess what I would ideally like is an album list sorted by artist with cover art displayed. Is that possible?
Yes. Browse Albums in the 'gallery' view, sorted by Album/Artist or Album/Year/Artist, with 'Show Artist with Albums' enabled. But as you've seen, it will be slow.