PDA

View Full Version : Network play causes RAID access errors?

Velcroman
2007-08-20, 16:24
Symptom: I'm sitting here, listening to The Queens of the Stone Age on my Squeezebox. Every time a song ends, and the player reaches out across the network to my PC for the next track, it causes a :"RAID Access Failure: Critical error on disk" message to pop up.

My system uses an Asus a8n32-SLI deluxe motherboard, w/nVidia nForce4-based RAID 0 array. Anyone else seen similar behavior? I don't get this message in other day to day operations.

Not sure if this is relevant, but nVidia recently updated its RAID driver for some other issues. See this post for more info: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070804/nvidia-driver-fix-quicktime/.

12 error messages, pretty consistently and evenly spaced out over about 45 minutes. The album: 13 songs, but I didn't play the first one; the remaining 12 songs span 50 minutes.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

JJZolx
2007-08-20, 16:48
Every time a song ends, and the player reaches out across the network to my PC for the next track
It doesn't exactly work like that. SlimServer is running on the PC, right? So SlimServer is looking locally for the next track, or maybe closing the file for the last one. There's no network file access going on.

I have the same motherboard in one of my PCs, but I'm afraid I don't use the onboard RAID.

Velcroman
2007-08-20, 17:12
You're right, the server is grabbing songs locally. But my Squeezebox isn't connected physically to the PC with the music. It's going out over the network to get a music file. And every time it does, I get an error message.

JJZolx
2007-08-20, 17:30
You're right, the server is grabbing songs locally. But my Squeezebox isn't connected physically to the PC with the music. It's going out over the network to get a music file. And every time it does, I get an error message.
I hear what you're saying about the error. I'm trying to point out that the Squeezebox doesn't "get" a file over the network. SlimServer reads files, then may or may not transcode the audio data, then it streams data to the Squeezebox across the network. The Squeezebox doesn't know files.

Velcroman
2007-08-20, 18:54
Still, I'm at a loss here. There's a clear, direct link between file access in SlimServer and this RAID error. Right? I don't _think_ it's an actual RAID error, I think there's some confusion in some piece of software somewhere, probably on nVidia's end. But what do I know?

So no one else has seen anything like this? Anyone else running a SATA RAID 0 array on an nForce 4 based chipset?

Robin Bowes
2007-08-21, 04:04
Velcroman wrote:
> Still, I'm at a loss here. There's a clear, direct link between file
> access in SlimServer and this RAID error. Right? I don't _think_ it's
> an actual RAID error, I think there's some confusion in some piece of
> software somewhere, probably on nVidia's end. But what do I know?
>
> So no one else has seen anything like this? Anyone else running a SATA
> RAID 0 array on an nForce 4 based chipset?

You do know that RAID0 gives you zero protection against data loss?

R.

Velcroman
2007-08-21, 04:41
That's why I back up my PC weekly. But that doesn't explain these weird error messages.

bpa
2007-08-21, 04:58
Do you get any errors if these files are played by another player such as WMP ? If you do then the problem is not with Slimserver.

egd
2007-08-21, 04:59
That's why I back up my PC weekly. But that doesn't explain these weird error messages.

if you've got a current backup and its no biggie why not delete and recreate your raid array after installing fresh drivers and see whether that makes a difference?

Velcroman
2007-08-21, 06:10
I don't get error messages when playing files locally with iTunes, just remotely with the Squeezebox. And I'm not trying to be sarcastic here--it's really easy to misinterpret people's tones based on a quick post to a forum, so believe me, I'm not--but recreating my entire RAID array from CDs and my backup files is really the last option, isn't it? I _could_ try that, of course, but everything else really works perfectly.

bpa
2007-08-21, 06:49
Doing clear steps to isolate the problem could be mis-interpeted as doubting the problem but many small tests can help. My theory is that there could be something going wrong when your have disk and network traffic together and slimserver trigger it. To prove this theory, it is necessary to try different scenarios.

Do you get the errors if you copy the files across the LAN network (e.g. from one PC to another PC or to a NAS).

Velcroman
2007-08-21, 09:20
I'm at work right now. I'll try some additional testing this evening, to see if I can do any additional diagnosing.

dennis55
2007-08-21, 13:41
running Nvidia Forceware vers 6311 here, try an earlier forceware WHQL from Nvidia.
running raid here and occasionally get this message too.
i ignore it as Nvidia control panel shows everything is fine and on boot-up Bios shows Raid health.

Maddog

Velcroman
2007-08-23, 19:53
I've copied and played files across the network with no issues. And i've played the same files locally in Windows Media Player without problems. I guess I could try rolling back the driver to an earlier version. It's just that everything else works great....

Keith
2007-08-24, 08:23
I'm sure there is more cost effective methods but this is what I did:

4 x 320Gb sata drives in JBOB pairs and then mirrored (RAID 1) and have not had any problems, although I haven't tried RAID 0.

The only issue I have is with hibenate whereby the Raid fails when the system comes out of hibenate mode but I put that down to the raid card.

I use a high point card (1820A) to JBOB them and windows XP to mirror them, possibly it would have been better to do this the other way around but I'm still learning.

Keith

Velcroman
2007-08-28, 16:39
Noticed yesterday that launching Picasa gave me the exact same error. WTF? Meaning it's definitely not Slim's fault, and ergo must be nVidia's. Since I was pretty sure I hadn't been seeing these error messages until recently, I figured it must be nVidia's just released 995 driver. I pressed the roll-back button, taking me back to the 931 driver, rebooted, and everything's fine. Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone.