PDA

View Full Version : Speakers to SB3 and PC

jordi.c
2007-08-20, 12:15
Hi,

I have a speaker set connected to the SB3 in the headphone plug.

The speaker set is a Logitech Z-2300 (2.1).

I also would like to hear the music/sounds from my PC through that same speaker set.

The problem is I only have one jack from the speaker set but I have to connect it into two separate devices (PC/SB3)

Is there any way I can use both devices with the same speaker set?

Best Wishes.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-20, 12:31
Although I have not seen any such devices, it could be accomplished through a switch. I've seen them for amplified signals (i.e. going out from an amp) but not for line-level, unamplified signals through a stereo submini connector.

It should be fairly simple, just a switch. This is the sort of stuff Parts Express deals in:

http://www.partsexpress.com/

but I couldn't find anything there. They have 13 high-level (amplified signal) speaker switches as I described above though.

jordi.c
2007-08-20, 12:37
Although I have not seen any such devices, it could be accomplished through a switch. I've seen them for amplified signals (i.e. going out from an amp) but not for line-level, unamplified signals through a stereo submini connector.

It should be fairly simple, just a switch. This is the sort of stuff Parts Express deals in:

http://www.partsexpress.com/

but I couldn't find anything there. They have 13 high-level (amplified signal) speaker switches as I described above though.

I think: 2x male jack - 1x female jack will work.

The 1x female jack goes the speakers in. and the 2x male jack is 1x male for the pc and 1x male for the SB3.

I only never saw this cable, is this because it is not suitable?

Edit: With a Switch it is not possible to listen to both at the same time. I would like to have both active.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-20, 12:39
Oh, both active? Just get a Y-adapter. They're widely available just about anywhere.

jordi.c
2007-08-20, 12:48
Oh, both active? Just get a Y-adapter. They're widely available just about anywhere.

Yes, I have looked on several dutch electro shop websites.

The problem is al the Y-adapters and split cables are 1x male jack - 2x female jack.

If I'm right I need 1x female jack (where the speaker jack goes in) and 2x male jacks (1x into the PC soundcard and 1x into the SB3).

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-20, 12:52
You can get gender-changer adapters or cables, but I believe I have seen Y-adapters with the connectors you need. It's possible they may not be available where you are though.

ceejay
2007-08-20, 14:13
Are we sure its a good idea to strap the outputs of two drivers together like that? If you were to use th ecable as suggested, you would be directly connecting together two output stages which may not like it. A switch would be a lot safer.

Ceejay

jordi.c
2007-08-20, 14:21
Are we sure its a good idea to strap the outputs of two drivers together like that? If you were to use th ecable as suggested, you would be directly connecting together two output stages which may not like it. A switch would be a lot safer.

Ceejay

@Ceejay, Is this a switch you recommend for it? http://www.plantronics.com/europe_union/dut/products/cat1200109/cat1200109/prod3090125;jsessionid=WOVTRPIVGOHQ4CQBGNUCFEYKAEZ WSIV0

So the mic (rose plug) goes into the SB3 and the speaker (green plug) goes into the PC?

Does anybody else know if two outputs strap into one would be a problem for the speakers?

Cheers.

pfarrell
2007-08-20, 14:27
ceejay wrote:
> Are we sure its a good idea to strap the outputs of two drivers together
> like that?

It is fine (nearly always) to connect two inputs from one output using a
Y cable.

It is not good to strap two outputs, you really need a mixer.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

jordi.c
2007-08-20, 15:01
ceejay wrote:
> Are we sure its a good idea to strap the outputs of two drivers together
> like that?

It is fine (nearly always) to connect two inputs from one output using a
Y cable.

It is not good to strap two outputs, you really need a mixer.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Hi Pat, the plug of the speakers must go into two apparatus (PC and SB3), does this mean i strap two outputs?

What do you think is the best setup to get volume out the PC and SB3 with the same set of active speaker set (2.1)?

pfarrell
2007-08-20, 15:33
jordi.c wrote:
>> It is not good to strap two outputs, you really need a mixer.
> Hi Pat, the plug of the speakers must go into two apparatus (PC and
> SB3), does this mean i strap two outputs?

Yes.
The signal is going from the PC and the SB3 to a single place (the
speaker). This is not good.

> In the link I showed a switch for switching between headphone and
> speakers
> is this the same as a "mixer" ?

Nope, but a switch works just as well. What you can't do is drive both
outputs with out a switch or mixer

A mixer combines them, so if you had only one playing at a time, it
would work sort of like a switch.

> What do you think is the best setup to get volume out the PC and SB3
> with the same set of active speaker set (2.1)?

Two sets of speakers.
Or speakers that have two inputs per channel.