PDA

View Full Version : Remote handset died: Options?

Des
2007-08-20, 11:09
My SB3 remote control handset seems to have given up the ghost. I've used the 'd_ir' debug option to see what's happening and the handset is hammering out the 'favorites' key press regardless.

What are my options? Am I right in thinking that even if I choose to buy a superior replacement (one of those All-in-1 models, say), I will still need a replacement SB handset in order to upgrade the SB software via the 'Brightness' key and force back to defaults using the 'Add' key?

Where can I get a replacement handset in the UK?

Cheers.

kdf
2007-08-20, 11:22
Quoting Des <Des.2vmm6n1187633401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Where can I get a replacement handset in the UK?
>
You can order the accessories direct from the slimdevices website.
They are fairly small and light so shouldn't cost a lot in shipping.
I'd assume that logitech's online store may also carry the accessories
locally.

-kdf

peterw
2007-08-20, 12:02
Am I right in thinking that even if I choose to buy a superior replacement (one of those All-in-1 models, say), I will still need a replacement SB handset in order to upgrade the SB software via the 'Brightness' key and force back to defaults using the 'Add' key?

I don't know about resetting the defaults, but there's an "Automatic update" setting in SB2/SB3 firmware that would make your Squeezebox install updates without the Brightness button. Hold the Left arrow until you get the settings screens. Look for Automatic update under Current settings and use Fwd to toggle the setting On or Off. No, I haven't actually tried this with the JVC DVD left/right/up/down codes.

I don't know that I'd consider the All-in-One superior. I use a couple of All-in-One in the rooms that have more than just SB setups, but I prefer the new candy bar remote to my All-in-Ones.

-Peter

Des
2007-08-20, 12:12
I don't know that I'd consider the All-in-One superior. I use a couple of All-in-One in the rooms that have more than just SB setups, but I prefer the new candy bar remote to my All-in-Ones.

-Peter

If I was to go down this route, how do you set the All-in-one to the appropriate state to control the SB?

Des
2007-08-20, 12:15
Quoting Des <Des.2vmm6n1187633401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Where can I get a replacement handset in the UK?
>
You can order the accessories direct from the slimdevices website.
They are fairly small and light so shouldn't cost a lot in shipping.
I'd assume that logitech's online store may also carry the accessories
locally.

-kdf

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/881&cl=gb,en
Is the page for the SB, but I can't seem to find a page just for a replacement handset.

whdean
2007-08-20, 13:01
If you go with a Harmony remote, the setup website has the SB3 codes on it - When you tell set-up you have a Squeezebox, it will load the appropriate codes. If you need a code that's not there already, you can upload from your original remote.

If you go that route and still need some codes, let me know by email, and I will upload the ones you need to the Harmony site.

Thanks.

Duman
2007-08-20, 13:14
In case you weren't aware, the harmony remotes can behave like a dedicated remote for any of several particular devices (SB, TV, DVD, VCR, etc.), or can operate according to "activity".

For example, if I select the "listen to music" activity key, the remote turns off the TV if it is on, sets my receiver's input to the SB, and turns on the SB. The volume keys send IR commands to the receiver for controlling volume, and the alphanumeric keys and playback keys (i.e., play, pause, fwd, rew) send appropriate IR commands to the SB. Similar schemes can be set up for watching TV, watching a DVD, etc.

peterw
2007-08-20, 14:22
If I was to go down this route, how do you set the All-in-one to the appropriate state to control the SB?

By default, SlimServer recognizes both Squeezebox and JVC DVD infrared codes. So you can simply set your all-in-one to emulate a JVC DVD. How to do this depends on your remote control.

I started out having my One-For-All remotes send JVC DVD codes, but ended up teaching it the proper Slim Devices/Squeezebox codes, as some things didn't work as well with the JVC codes -- stuff like scrolling up/down in some 3rd party SlimServer plugins (my own, due to not learning & using some newer APIs).

Patrick Dixon
2007-08-21, 00:56
If it's not that old, why not contact Logitech about a repair or replacement? Everything has a 2 year warranty now IIUC.