PDA

View Full Version : The CD turns 25

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-20, 05:34
Well, happy belated birthday (it was on Friday):

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/070817/technology/entertainment_netherlands_music_company_philips

agentsmith
2007-08-20, 07:06
Yes this issue of TAS has some elaborate articles on the development of CD and 7 CD players/universal players.

moley6knipe
2007-08-21, 05:38
Good article. I wonder if anyone has got a 'first edition' copy of "The Visitors" by ABBA on CD as mentioned in the article? Would be REALLY interesting to hear how it shapes up to a modern master of the same album. Not that I'm nuts on ABBA, but just out of curiosity, y'understand!

Ron F.
2007-08-21, 12:23
Has a poll been done - When was the last time you used your CD player? My vote would be in the category of "I don't remember the last time I used it, and I am thinking of selling it on eBay..."

Once I got all my issues worked out with my music server, wireless access point, and SB3 - I never turned on the CD player again.

For reasons that are difficult for me to convey (!) I still use my NAD 6300 tape deck. I guess if you don't already understand, there is no point in trying to explain it. There is something about retaining an analog source ... and the CD player has no such attraction.

-Ron

pfarrell
2007-08-21, 12:28
Ron F. wrote:
> Has a poll been done - When was the last time you used your CD player?

I assume you mean audio player, and not counting the jukebox of CDs in
my car. I use the car's jukebox whenever I'm driving more than an hour.

> My vote would be in the category of "I don't remember the last time I
> used it, and I am thinking of selling it on eBay..."

I sold mine years ago, after I connected my SqueezeBox to my Benchmark DAC-1

Nothing else vaguely computer related from 25 years ago is in use.

For all you analog lovers out there, the CD was not expected to replace
vinyl, it was supposed to kill off the cassette tape so record companies
could keep selling manufactured media.

Imagine, selling music on physical media, how quaint.

funkstar
2007-08-22, 09:18
Last time i used a CD player i own? i really have no idea.

There isn't one in my appartment other than computer CD/DVD drives (same goes for DVD player). In my car i use the built in SD card slot for music. Keep meaning to wire it up so i can use my Archose AV500-100GB and have access to all my music when driving :)

jdm56
2007-09-05, 00:20
I guess I'm the exception as I just bought a brand new Onkyo DX-7555 cd player. I really like CD for the sound quality, the art work (especially with cardboard gatefold packaging), and all the liner notes, etc --all the same reasons a lot of people still prefer the LP, I guess, but I abandoned vinyl in 1983 and don't intend to get back on that bandwagon. I think the biggest factor though, is the fact buying the CD gives me a near-reference quality "master" back-up that I can then do most anything I want to with as far as copying into the pc for streaming or burning to my own compilation discs.

That is, IF I ever get around to actually buying a Squeezebox. (I'm still on the fence.) I was about ready to order, but now I'm thinkin' hey, I can get about seventy 320kBps mp3 files on one little ol' CD! None of the problems this forum is filled with as far as streaming/networking/ripping/tagging, etc, etc. I know that method would have many disadvantages compared to streaming to a SB, but at least it would be simple! Some times simple is good.

Oh, I'll probably get a SB soon. They seem pretty cool, but I don't know if I'm techie enough to want to deal with all the potential issues. I guess I could look at any problems I might encounter as a potential learning experience!

moley6knipe
2007-09-05, 05:04
I used my CD player the other day. It didn't work! Ha ha ha. Haven't switched it on for about 2 years!

@ jdm56 - I would bear in mind with all forums like these it's probably more likely for people with problems/rants to post than people with no problems. I downloaded and installed SlimServer in advance of receiving my squeezebox, it scanned my music first time with no problems. When I received my SB3 I plugged it in as per the Quick Start guide and had a splendid evening wading through things I'd forgotten I owned within about 10 minutes.

I think SS and SB3 is as complicated as you want it to be. If you've got your music on your PC and all you want to do is listen to it on your hi-fi, then for me, at least, it was a really simple, easy, painless process.

I can't imagine listening to my 12,000 tracks on CD now. The SB3 is so very very good at just serving music up, I'm over the moon. I just hit search and type what I want, and hit play. Or hit browse to flick through the full list of albums, or aritsts or whatever. Or hit random and see where it takes me! I believe logitech have a money back guarantee for youse folks in the US, so there's probably nothing to lose except your shipping costs!

Secret Squirrel
2007-09-05, 06:34
I guess I'm the exception as I just bought a brand new Onkyo DX-7555 cd player. I really like CD for the sound quality, the art work (especially with cardboard gatefold packaging), and all the liner notes, etc --all the same reasons a lot of people still prefer the LP, I guess, but I abandoned vinyl in 1983 and don't intend to get back on that bandwagon. I think the biggest factor though, is the fact buying the CD gives me a near-reference quality "master" back-up that I can then do most anything I want to with as far as copying into the pc for streaming or burning to my own compilation discs.

That is, IF I ever get around to actually buying a Squeezebox. (I'm still on the fence.) I was about ready to order, but now I'm thinkin' hey, I can get about seventy 320kBps mp3 files on one little ol' CD! None of the problems this forum is filled with as far as streaming/networking/ripping/tagging, etc, etc. I know that method would have many disadvantages compared to streaming to a SB, but at least it would be simple! Some times simple is good.

Oh, I'll probably get a SB soon. They seem pretty cool, but I don't know if I'm techie enough to want to deal with all the potential issues. I guess I could look at any problems I might encounter as a potential learning experience!

I must admit that I'm a bit of a geek but for me the Squeezebox was just a Plug and Play unit. (Mind you I do not run wireless, so I did encounter any type of connections issues.) I did download the software, installed Slim Server and Softsqueeze, and ran through the whole process before buying my SB2. That entire exercise took me less than 30 minutes and in that time I was TOTALLY sold. I have never looked back and enjoy all the benefits of access to my entire library any time I want to listen to anything without leaving the comfort of my chair. Sure, I've added functionality by adding plug-ins and utilizing differnt things mentioned in the forums without any issues than my mistakes. I have subsequently reripped my library in FLAC and installed MySQL tools to create listings, playlists and to clean up my tags.

As old commercial says, "Try it! You like it!". We'll all be here to assist if you need it, but I doubt it.

HTH,

SS

maggior
2007-09-05, 08:30
... I'm thinkin' hey, I can get about seventy 320kBps mp3 files on one little ol' CD! None of the problems this forum is filled with as far as streaming/networking/ripping/tagging, etc, etc. I know that method would have many disadvantages compared to streaming to a SB, but at least it would be simple! Some times simple is good.

!

Actually, by using mp3 on CD, the only issues you won't have to deal with that are particular to a Squeezebox setup are streaming and networking. To make mp3 discs, you still have to rip the disc and tag it. Often, this is the area that folks have trouble. So, if you can deal with ripping and tagging, you are a good part of the way there!

TiredLegs
2007-09-05, 12:23
My home CD player has been virtually unused for the past two years (since I got my first Squeezebox). However I just fired it up last week when I took my old SlimServer offline while I was setting up a new 500GB Buffalo LinkStation Pro with FreeLink/MySQL/SlimServer. After it took two more days to copy nearly 400GB of WAV music files onto the new SlimServer, the CD player is now back collecting dust.

I still run CDs in my car, though, and I still like having the discs as reference backups.

jdm56
2007-09-05, 18:16
Good testimonials --hey, are you people on the SD payroll? (ha)

I didn't know I'd have to tag mp3 files to burn to CD. Hm, I've never done that; don't know anything about it. I just downloaded dBpoweramp and it does seem to add tags automatically, [I guess] as long as it has the info from the CD or from an on-line database. So maybe I wouldn't necessarily have to do anything else?

davep
2007-09-05, 22:37
I didn't know I'd have to tag mp3 files to burn to CD. Hm, I've never done that; don't know anything about it. I just downloaded dBpoweramp and it does seem to add tags automatically, [I guess] as long as it has the info from the CD or from an on-line database. So maybe I wouldn't necessarily have to do anything else?

You don't _have_ to tag mp3 files to burn them to CD, only if you want to be able to identify the music that is being played when you put them in a CD player to listen to them. Of course that would only be if the CD player was able to display CD Text (and read the tags) - not sure how likely this is as I haven't actually done it.

davep

jdm56
2007-09-06, 17:33
My new player (Onkyo DX-7555) is supposed to be able to play mp3 files on CD-R/RW, and to read and display CD text. So I guess that is something I probably would want to do -- make sure the mp3 files are tagged properly. Shoot, sounds like fun. I think I'll burn a few mp3 CD's and tag'em and see how it all comes out.