PDA

View Full Version : Wake on Lan no longer working

Plano_Mike
2007-08-19, 11:59
The PC on which I run SS had its C: drive crash. I re-installed XP and SS and the system seems stable.

Before the crash I could get the PC to wake on LAN from either of my two SB3s or from my laptop sending a "magic packet".

I am having difficulty getting WOL to work after the XP re-install.

I have WOL enabled in the BIOS (Abit MoBo with an integrated 3com 10/100 ethernet port).

I have tried all of the permutations I can think of under the properties for the NIC, but lo the system will no longer wake.

The PC is connected to a Linksys switch (and was when WOL used to work). I notice when the PC goes into standby, the LEDs on the switch corresponding to the PC go out. I don't recall if this was the behavior before or not. If the ethernet adaptor is listening for magic packets would one expect to see the lights on the switch to stay on?

Any suggestions?

Many TIA.

Mike

stof77
2007-08-31, 12:50
The PC is connected to a Linksys switch (and was when WOL used to work). I notice when the PC goes into standby, the LEDs on the switch corresponding to the PC go out. I don't recall if this was the behavior before or not. If the ethernet adaptor is listening for magic packets would one expect to see the lights on the switch to stay on?

Any suggestions?

Many TIA.

Mike

I've discovered the WOL function just afew days ago, so I'm no expert about it but I can tell you that by my LAN the Leds are lighten on the switch even when the PC are "off", which could mean for you thaat there is still a parameter not set right for the WOL to work.