PDA

View Full Version : SB3, active speakers and subwoofer issue

Husted
2007-08-19, 09:56
Hi all,

I have a setup with a DB3 connected directly to a pair of active speakers (they have a RCA input and automatically powers on). Now I want to add a subwoofer but have run into a issue, how to I connect the subwoofer?
The subwoofer I want to use is the B&W PV1 which has a high WAF :-) Problem is that is that it only has a single input and no output.
So how would you connect the PV1 to my setup? The PV1 retailer suggested that I connect a Y-splitter to one of the audio channel and have one channel that feeds both the subwoofer and the active speaker.
Will this work, can the SB3 drive both the PV1 and the active speaker on one channel?

Regards
Henrik

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1187&sc=hf

amcluesent
2007-08-19, 10:56
Connect using the speaker-level inputs?

Eric Seaberg
2007-08-19, 15:36
He can't do that because he's using POWERED SPEAKERS!

Husted, do the 'Y' from one channel. Anything below 80Hz in the mix will, most likely, be put in phantom center. I'm sure the output of the SB3 is low enough impedance to not cause a problem when it's Y'd that way.

alZmtbr
2007-08-19, 18:32
buy TWO!

[added*] Then use a quality 'Y' connector for each channel.

[* Wow -- too short of a message, never experienced that before!]

Husted
2007-08-19, 23:48
I'll go ahead and order one.
Just wanted to know if it would damage my SB3.

.Henrik

eiret
2007-08-30, 18:35
I'll go ahead and order one.
Just wanted to know if it would damage my SB3.

.Henrik

Hello, can you post how the B/W PV1 sounds. They are looking cool. Later you can buy and use Benchmark DAC1 USB`s phono out and you get an built in headphone amp too.

I am curios about how this B/W subwoofer sounds ?

azinck3
2007-08-30, 20:28
buy TWO!

[added*] Then use a quality 'Y' connector for each channel.

[* Wow -- too short of a message, never experienced that before!]

Since his B&W only has a mono input he can't do this since it would require tying together both the L/R outputs of his SB (I'm assuming you're envisioning yet another Y adapter at the input of the B&W?).

Eric Seaberg
2007-08-30, 20:36
Correct, thus making the feed to his L/R speakers MONO!!!

SINGLE CHANNEL 'Y' to the sub. Trust me, anything BELOW the 80Hz crossover of the sub IS on both left and right channels of the SB3. Pick ONE OF THEM and use it.

NewBuyer
2007-08-30, 21:55
...Trust me, anything BELOW the 80Hz crossover of the sub IS on both left and right channels of the SB3...

Hi Eric,
I don't doubt you, I just wish to confirm please: Are you saying that in *all* recorded material, *all* information at or below 80Hz, is *always* present in both channels? In the absolute sense? I never realized that was the case, if so...

alZmtbr
2007-08-31, 04:40
Since his B&W only has a mono input he can't do this since it would require tying together both the L/R outputs of his SB (I'm assuming you're envisioning yet another Y adapter at the input of the B&W?).

I don't understand your understanding of my post? My original post was in 'partial' jest - instead of combining L&R together to feed the mono input of ONE PV1 (Wow $$), I envisioned splitting EACH channel to feed TWO PV1's.

After reading the specs, I'm curious as to the freq response of the active main speakers? Will there be a 'hole' in the response above/around 100Hz?

Cheers!
Allan.

Eric Seaberg
2007-08-31, 08:59
Hi Eric,
I don't doubt you, I just wish to confirm please: Are you saying that in *all* recorded material, *all* information at or below 80Hz, is *always* present in both channels? In the absolute sense? I never realized that was the case, if so...

Most low frequency material below 80Hz is going to be center channel... it's just easier to reproduce and your brain can't determine 'direction' at that low frequency anyway.

I've been in the recording business for 36-years, including mastering for vinyl (late 70s early 80s) and CD.

The other option is to use a 'Y' coming from your L/R feed but inserting a 10k-ohm resistor in series of each channel. This is a simple 'resistive mixer' and will actually combine your L/R signal without feeding left back into right, making it MONO.

If you're handy at all, I could send you a simple schematic for this.

pichonCalavera
2008-03-25, 22:16
Reviving this thread since I have a similar question.

I have a Energy S8.3 Subwoofer, specs here: http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=40, basically it has a RCA Mono Sub In and a High-Level Input

I would like to use it with a PreAmplifier/Amplifier Zpre2/Zamp v3 combo, someway connecting the Sub to the Zamp v3.

After reading and investigating around, my question arises because I think there are 3 possible ways to connect the Sub to the Zamp v3 (pic of Zamp v3 here: http://www.parasound.com/img/zcustom/zampv3_rear_big.jpg ) :

1. From the Speaker terminals on the Zamp to the High-Level Inputs on the Sub.

2. From the Loop Jacks on the Zamp to the RCA Mono Sub In on the Sub (using either a Y connector or Stereo-to-mono summing cable to pair the Loop Jacks on the Zamp)

3. Connecting just a single RCA Mono cable from either one of the Left or Right Loop Jacks on the Zamp to the RCA Mono Sub In on the Sub.

My preferred way would be to connect it the number 2 way, but I'm now thinking about it, after reading the reasons for not using a Y cable: http://www.rane.com/note109.html . I've read of how to make a summing cable on the schematics from here: http://www.thewulph.com/Projects/monosum1.htm, but is using a headphone type cable, so I don't know how a RCA cable would be made.

There is the number 1 way too, but I don't know if the Speakers terminals on the Zamp would be able to handle the Sub.

As for the number 3 way, in this thread is the first time I've read about it.

So what would the best way to connect it?, any suggestions?, or there is no way to connect it?

pichonCalavera
2008-03-27, 10:17
*bump*, any ideas? :)

radish
2008-03-27, 11:02
I'd do number 3, that's how my amp/sub is hooked up.

htrd
2008-03-27, 13:40
pichonCalavera wrote:

> 1. From the *Speaker terminals* on the *Zamp* to the *High-Level
> Inputs* on the *Sub*.

I would go for this option.

> but I don't know if the *Speakers
> terminals* on the *Zamp* would be able to handle the *Sub*.

In this configuration the sub will not be adding any extra load to the Zamp.
Provided the sub is located reasonably close to the Zamp it should make no
difference at all to the output of your main speakers.

pichonCalavera
2008-03-27, 18:57
> but I don\'t know if the *Speakers
> terminals* on the *Zamp* would be able to handle the *Sub*.

In this configuration the sub will not be adding any extra load to the Zamp.
Provided the sub is located reasonably close to the Zamp it should make no
difference at all to the output of your main speakers.

So is correct that because is a powered sub, it doesn\'t affect the Watt levels on the Zamp?

I\'d do number 3, that\'s how my amp/sub is hooked up.

Great, and this way it would function properly if I connect a pair of Axiom M2 Speakers rated with a Freq Resp +/-3dB of 70-22kHz to the Zamp speaker terminals.

Thanks for your help.