PDA

View Full Version : Crossover cable and wireless bridge?

ioncube
2007-08-19, 03:44
I know that the SB2/3 has a bridging or AP function, but wasn't clear whether this permits plugging in a wired client via a crossover cable to share the wireless link for the wired client and SB (maybe that is precisely the function). I couldn't find any xover cables here to try it yet, and wanted to save a trip to being overcharged at maplins if it's definitely not going to work. Should this work?

Ramage
2007-08-19, 03:58
The SB3 needs a crossover cable to connect a wired client through the wireless bridge.

You will need to go through setup on the SB3 to switch on the bridging with the wired client connected.

Interesting thread on bridging here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31850

ioncube
2007-08-19, 06:04
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd seen that thread already, but there seemed some confusion (at least I was confused :) about whether the thread was discussing trying to use the SB as an AP for other wireless devices, or what I want to do which is attaching a second client via the wired port to get it onto a wireless network. I'll get an xover cable from maplin and see what happens.

It'll be great if it works as I need to network a Siemens S450 basestation (VoIP/Dect phone) which only has a wired port in a room where there's no wired ethernet. An SB3 is located were it would be convenient to tuck away the phone basestation, so if I can get the phone onto the network via the SB then that'll save getting a separate ethernet to wireless device for the phone and be a neat solution.

ioncube
2007-08-19, 07:20
And it works :) A new option appears when setting up the SB to enable the bridge once a device is plugged in with the xover cable (not seeing this before made me wonder about the bridging feature), and it just works seamlessly. Very nice indeed, saves me at least 40 quid, and yet another reason why the SB is such a superb piece of kit.

Ramage
2007-08-19, 07:39
That was quick work.

Glad it works as you want it

lucas72
2007-08-19, 08:22
My SB3 works also with a normal straight LAN cable....... ;) most of the ethernet ports are actually auto-crossing.

ioncube
2007-08-19, 09:27
I'm lucky to have a maplins just around the corner, and it was up and running within a couple of mins of getting back with the cable :)

The SB3 might auto sense. I thought the h/w was the same, but I tested proof of concept on an SB2 that I had close to hand rather than the SB3, and the bridging option didn't show up for me with the SB2 an a regular cable.

I've now just got to wire up the phone cable that runs under the floors to living room AV area and SB3 from where the master socket is in a bedroom. The g/f didn't like the idea of a wireless bridge for the phone sitting under the bed with us and unborn baby!