PDA

View Full Version : Please help, thanks-can't connect to SlimServer.......

chevvies
2007-08-18, 15:52
....everything was fine until this morning using 6.5.2, on my Intel MacBook using Camino browser, the SB3 displayed 'waking up slimserver' but then just went off. I have updated to 6.5.4 but still the 'web access' button on the SlimServer pane is 'greyed out' and if I quickly press it I get 'refused connection to localhost:9000, I also tried unplugging the SB3 and reconnecting, what's going on? please help, thanks.

ceejay
2007-08-19, 00:21
First thing to check: is slimserver actually running on your machine, or not?

If not, don't bother messing around with the SB itself until you have it running...

Ceejay

chevvies
2007-08-19, 02:04
The SlimServer won't start up, I press the 'start server' button then it stops after 10 seconds, so I can't get any further.
Since I have a wireless SB I also checked the AirPort connection, which is fine.

danco
2007-08-19, 06:52
Can't harm to delete the SlimServer cache (in ~/Library/Caches) and perhaps also the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences

I know that deleting the cache is necessary at one upgrade, though I thought it was the updrade to 6.5.2, not from it.

chevvies
2007-08-19, 15:24
Can't harm to delete the SlimServer cache (in ~/Library/Caches) and perhaps also the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences

I know that deleting the cache is necessary at one upgrade, though I thought it was the updrade to 6.5.2, not from it.

Thanks, tried that but no joy, also tried holding brightness button but still nothing.

bpa
2007-08-19, 15:30
Start slimserver in a Terminal window with --d_server and --d_startup command line options. You should get lots of messages at startup and also an indication why it doesn't start.

chevvies
2007-08-19, 23:12
Start slimserver in a Terminal window with --d_server and --d_startup command line options. You should get lots of messages at startup and also an indication why it doesn't start.

Thanks but that sounds way out of my league, I wouldn't know where to start!

danco
2007-08-20, 01:52
It is worth learning the use of Terminal. You don't need to use it often, but it can help with some things. And very many uses are explained specifically in forums, etc. Biggest issue can be correct typing, as typos can cause unexpected effects.

To start SlimServer in the Terminal, open Terminal and then (see next para for a way of avoiding having to type in the long string) type

Users/YourName/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer

and press Return. Here "YourName" must of course be replaced by your user name. Also this applies when SS was installed for one user only, it's slightly different if you installed it for all users.

The clever point about Terminal is the way MAC OS X's user interface reacts with the Unix underpinnings. You don't have to type in the string, just find SlimServer and drag it into the Terminal window and the relevant text get inserted into the window.

Now how do you find SlimServer? Like many items, the preference pane is a "package", that is a folder that looks like a file. Control-click on the SlimServer preference pane, and choose "Show Package Contents". In the Contents is a folder named Mac OS, and the SlimServer program itself is in this.

bpa indicates that you should choose command=line options. That's just a matter of adding them to what you previously had before pressing Return. That is, the line should read (all on one line)

Users/danco/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/SlimServer --d_server --d_startup

and now press Return.

You'll get some text saying what is happening. You probably won't be able to interpret the text yourself (though you may) but if you select and copy it and post it on the forum, someone should be able to help.

chevvies
2007-08-21, 13:29
[QUOTE=danco;221594]Can't harm to delete the SlimServer cache (in ~/Library/Caches) and perhaps also the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences

I know that deleting the cache is necessary at one upgrade, though I thought it was the updrade to 6.5.2, not from it.[/QUOTE

Thanks, after trying that combined with a reboot it worked!