PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Squeezebox...... or not?

glen66
2007-08-18, 07:40
Hi All

Just popped back on after a long absence... slimserver working perfectly, but just upgraded it to linux, and thought I misinstalled the software, what was a logitech logo doing on slimserver.

Then I realised why......

I was looking a buying a new squeezebox for the living room, and moving my old one upstairs (I want an all black model).

However I DO NOT want a Logitech branded box on top of my Cyrus equipment.

The SB has always been a talking point but to be quite honest in my opinion logitech kit, apart from some of their mice and keyboards is rubbish. I just don't feel right having logitech kit hooked up to that standard of hi-fi.

Looking at the pictures on the slim devices site, the sb3 appears to have the slimdevices logo......

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance

Glen

ds2021
2007-08-18, 07:51
Logitech is selling SB3s with their branding. Most resellers have the same. Some report an ability to find the old (better?) Slim Devices branded ones at some resellers, but these must be getting increasingly rare. Not sure why the web site would not be updated to reflect the actual product.

aubuti
2007-08-18, 07:53
For several months now SB3s have been shipping with a Logitech logo. Do a search around these forums and you'll find a few threads with others expressing feelings similar to yours, as well as a photo or two of Logitech-branded SB3s. You'll probably have to go to the used market, or a supplier with some relatively old stock, to find a Slim Devices-branded SB3. Or I understand the Transporter still has a Slim Devices logo........

glen66
2007-08-18, 07:59
I've just found a second hand all black SB3 for sale, with Slim Devices logo.....

Looks like logitech have lost out on a sale..

Are they listening to their customers or not.

Why can't they keep their branding separate. Plenty of other corporations do....

Toyota / Lexus are a perfect example. Toyota (logitech) is the cheap end, whilst Lexus (SlimDevices) are more upmarket.....

Glen

Ron Stewart
2007-08-18, 08:06
This is interesting. I bought my SB3 from Slim Devices (not from a reseller) in early July (2007), and it has the Slim Devices logo, not the Logitech one.

Ron

tyler_durden
2007-08-18, 08:10
You know, that aluminum cover with the logo? It is held on with tape. Just pull it off! No more Logitec logo.

TD

mherger
2007-08-18, 14:37
Hi Glen

> However I DO NOT want a Logitech branded box on top of my Cyrus
> equipment.

Then you should get a Transporter - it doesn't feature the Logitech logo on the front.

Michael

aubuti
2007-08-18, 14:48
Why can't they keep their branding separate. Plenty of other corporations do....

Toyota / Lexus are a perfect example. Toyota (logitech) is the cheap end, whilst Lexus (SlimDevices) are more upmarket.....
But that _is_ what Logitech is doing. They've just drawn the line somewhere between US$300 (Logitech SB3) and US$2000 (Slim Devices Transporter) rather than somewhere between the SB3 and the ~$250 "Logitech Wireless DJ".

mortslim
2007-08-18, 22:45
I don't intend to offend anyone with this response but I find it quite funny that people are discussing the merits of an audio device based upon its logo rather than on what it sounds like.

By the way, I like the way the squeezebox sounds. I use the Rhapsody service with it and I believe the source material has a lot to do with the final output. It sounds great.

I use the digital coax out with a Yamaha RX-V659 - AV receiver and a pair of Yamaha NS-777 3-Way Bass Reflex Tower Speakers using two channel stereo mode and "pure direct" where the receiver doesn't process the sound at all. This setup sounds audiophile to me without the audiophile budget.

And further on the subject of labels as it relates to the socalled audiophile world, I have browsed some audiophile magazines at newstands and I am amazed how much some people will pay for socalled audiophile equipment. In my own opinion, it is an utter waste of money.

I studied economics in college and I remember an analogous example involving women who go to a department store to buy lipstick and prefer the fifty dollar brand over the five dollar brand even though in blind tests there was no difference. It seems they received some type of psychic income from the label, even though the quality was no different. I think the same thing applies to "audiophiles".

And do your friends who see your equipment really judge you based upon the labels of your toys? You might want to think about getting new friends.

Just my two cents.

haunyack
2007-08-18, 23:13
I don't intend to offend anyone with this response but I find it quite funny that people are discussing the merits of an audio device based upon its logo rather than on what it sounds like.

By the way, I like the way the squeezebox sounds. I use the Rhapsody service with it and I believe the source material has a lot to do with the final output. It sounds great.

I use the digital coax out with a Yamaha RX-V659 - AV receiver and a pair of Yamaha NS-777 3-Way Bass Reflex Tower Speakers using two channel stereo mode and "pure direct" where the receiver doesn't process the sound at all. This setup sounds audiophile to me without the audiophile budget.

And further on the subject of labels as it relates to the socalled audiophile world, I have browsed some audiophile magazines at newstands and I am amazed how much some people will pay for socalled audiophile equipment. In my own opinion, it is an utter waste of money.

I studied economics in college and I remember an analogous example involving women who go to a department store to buy lipstick and prefer the fifty dollar brand over the five dollar brand even though in blind tests there was no difference. It seems they received some type of psychic income from the label, even though the quality was no different. I think the same thing applies to "audiophiles".

And do your friends who see your equipment really judge you based upon the labels of your toys? You might want to think about getting new friends.

Just my two cents.

Malarkey.
My $0.02

mlsstl
2007-08-19, 06:32
Haunyack, I'm curious as to what part of the prior post your "malarky" comment applies?

The whole of humanity is not shy for snobs who value brands and appearance as much or more than performance and audiophilia is certainly part of the human race. Exclusivity is a critical component of marketing for certain products where mass market penetration works against that image.

Mortslim's point about some who need the status conferred by one brand over another is accurate for at least a certain percentage of audiophiles, though certainly not all.

I would suspect that the executives and marketing types over at Logitech studied this issue very carefully and weighed the likely outcomes. They knew they'd tick off a few people with the branding change. They probably also looked at increases in market penetration into new segments with a more widely known product name. While corporations typically don't share marketing projection data with the public (and their competitors) it doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure they concluded there were probably more new sales to be had from the name change in contrast to lost sales to those who think their private club has now been invaded by the riff-raff.

Skittler
2007-08-19, 07:08
> However I DO NOT want a Logitech branded box on top of my Cyrus equipment.

I ordered mine just as the changeover occurred, so ordered a SlimDevices Squeezebox and received a Logitech Squeezebox.

Just live with it. YOU know that the internals are identical, so it makes no difference what the front says. If you're worried about what other people will think then why? As soon as you turn it on they'll forget the logo too.

Hmmm - did you audition for all your equipment or buy it just because it said Cyrus on the front?

The point of this is that I also have a Cyrus and I love how my music SOUNDS a lot more than what my friends may think of the logo :)

Mark:
2007-08-19, 07:34
Although there is no technical difference, I find the original SD logo more aesthetically appealing, than the new LT one.

Some people prefer red, some people prefer green.

It may be a snobbery thing with some people, but speaking for myself, I just like the way it looks better. Maybe that's what is motivating some percentage of the "crowd".

Also, from a psychological point of view, people always seem to want what they can't have... :-) (i.e. it's "rare")

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
-Mark

dennis55
2007-08-19, 12:29
glen66, i purchased a SB3 last week and it came with the Logitech logo.
sorry to hear that your Cyrus equipment does not like to share space with the new logo.
i have a mid fi setup here, mostly Linn Products and there is no clash of personalities in my setup.
i'm typing this from a Logitech keyboard/mouse and my pc speaker/sub is also the same brand.
i'm very happy with the performance of the Squeezebox via my Bonnec Timpano preamp and once i've conquered the interface i will have all the performance/versatilty i need.....logo's notwithhstanding.

dennis

hifi setup is
LP12/EKOS2/DYNAVECTOR DV17D2/LINGO/LINTO
BONNEC TIMPANO PREAMP/LINN IKEMI/PEKIN/Kaber AKTIV XOVER/ AKURATE 4200 X 3/LINN KABERS
SQUEEZEBOX 3.

pounce
2007-08-19, 20:10
I got mine a few weeks ago and actually cringed when I thought I might get one with the Logitech logo. I was happy that when I got by box it was Slim branded. I guess they are mixed in the wherehouse and there isn't any sort of order in which they go out the door.

tyler_durden
2007-08-19, 21:12
If exclusivity pitches your tent you need to spend a whole lot more than $250-300 to impress anyone except maybe 12 year old boys and $5 hookers. If the thing does what you want buy it. If it doesn't, don't, but whatever you do, quit whining about the logo here. If you had any creativity you could make your own logo to put on the thing or think of a neat way to cover it (or remove it as I suggested earlier).

That's it! My new product will be a sticker with a logo of my own design, far more exclusive than either Logitech or Slimdevices. I'll sell the logo stickers for $100 each (that way they will be more EXCLUSIVE) to the logo-babies who keep whining like little girlie-men. My logo sticker will be sized to cover either the Slimdevices or Logitech logos. They will make your SB sound better, the same way the orange sticker on the clock makes your system sound better!

TD

Skittler
2007-08-20, 04:32
Great idea Tyler!

While you're at it, please can you also make me one to cover up my Cyrus logo with something more socially acceptable?

Be careful with your use of colour though as I need it to improve the sound quality of my system, not reduce it :)

tyler_durden
2007-08-20, 08:06
What if the sticker has a portrait of Ben Franklin copied from a $100 bill? It will suggest "money" without being overly blatant. The dark green color will work well in most systems.

I can print them in several sizes on one sheet then you can peel and stick the ones that are the right size to cover any logo on just about any equipment. Let's see, $100 per sheet, or $100 per label?

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, why not just use a real portrait of Ben F from a real $100 bill? You can't beat the print quality! Maybe I can sell those for $120 each...

While I'm at it, I'll treat the portrait with a drop of "special one-drop liquid" from http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/odl/One_Drop_Liquid.html. It'll make your system sound better!

TD

crooner
2007-08-20, 13:58
Mine has no logo at all. I made my own high-end custom enclosure for it :-)

superbad
2007-08-21, 21:24
The logo is silk screened onto aluminum- it should be easy enough to remove if you don't like it.

Jaap_98
2007-09-06, 13:57
I like my sb3 not only for its sound but as it is the only part of my music system that is visible its design also has some importance. It is an item designed to be on show (plug ins and excellent design), therefore I much prefered the previous logo. (If it said logitec in a similar style I wouldnt mind. )

bitching about snobbery is completely unnecessary in my view.

Anyway, I am still going to order a second sb3 tomorrow, even if i cannot get it in white..(and I'll put up wth that logo...just)

jdm56
2007-09-06, 23:00
I think some are being WAY too hard on Glen66. Geez, he just vents a bit about preferring the SD logo and he is attacked as though he had insulted somebody's mama. You have to admit, the Slim Devices logo does/did have more coolness factor than Logitech. Of course, everyone knows what's under the hood is identical, but I think if you took a poll, an overwhelming majority of SB owners from before the Logitech era would prefer that the Slim Devices name had been retained.

Skittler
2007-09-07, 03:26
"an overwhelming majority of SB owners from before the Logitech era would prefer that the Slim Devices name had been retained."

Yes, I'm sure you're correct.
Honestly? I wish mine had a SlimDevces logo too.

But...
I got over it fairly quickly once I started thinking about what was important. It's fine to say "I'd PREFER a SlimDevices logo", but I don't think it's right to say "However I DO NOT want a Logitech branded box on top of my Cyrus equipment." which is how Glen started this off.

mvalera
2007-09-07, 12:24
The logo is silk screened onto aluminum- it should be easy enough to remove if you don't like it.

Actually it's not. Before the Squeezebox is anodized black, a mask of the logo is applied to the bare aluminum. After the anodize process is finished the mask is removed leaving the logo showing thru as bare aluminum. It is quite impossible to remove.

I think it's time to get over the whole Logitech thing guys... we bought Slim Devices almost year ago. Slim Devices is Logitech now just like Labtec, Intrigue (Harmony), and Connextic before them. I'm sorry you don't like the logo, but it's there to stay on the Squeezebox.

Mike

)p(
2007-09-07, 13:28
I'm sorry you don't like the logo, but it's there to stay on the Squeezebox.

Mike

I am with Jaap on this one...the logo is really ugly...and way to big on the sb3. Lets hope someday Logitech corporate mgt comes to their senses and hires a new designer to create a better looking corporate logo. Just imho of course ;)

peter

nicketynick
2007-09-07, 13:33
You can get the whole thing anodized black to remove the logo - its been done before (with the old logo!) - check the forums for a picture!

James_B
2007-09-07, 14:06
Or buy a white Slim Devices SB3 direct from Logitech at a discounted price :

http://www.slimdevices.com/welcome_ws.html?gclid=CLzZ-uKNso4CFQ_ilAodZnlAIg

(If there are any left..)

abelincoln
2007-09-07, 15:48
hey the owner of slimdevices is 27 and is a millionaire because of Logitech cut him a break

plympton
2007-09-07, 23:20
Or buy a white Slim Devices SB3 direct from Logitech at a discounted price :

http://www.slimdevices.com/welcome_ws.html?gclid=CLzZ-uKNso4CFQ_ilAodZnlAIg

(If there are any left..)
I picked one up last week and really like it - a bit of a reservation coming from something different, but I really enjoy not having to think about the stability.

The white remote is different for a change, too! :-)

-Dan