PDA

View Full Version : Wired Direct Works -- Through Hub Doesn't

gby
2007-08-18, 06:33
I have a Netgear DS104 4 port 10/100 hub wired to the wired wall ethernet jack. When I first connected my SB3 it could not see the network from what I can see. When it looks for the DCHP server to get an IP address it keeps timing out. Assigning a static ip address didn't seem to work either. To make a long story short I debugged it to this:

1. If I connect the SB3 direct to the wall jack it works just fine.

2. If I connect the wall to the 4 port and then a port to the SB3 I can't get a connection no matter what I do.

The hub and the patch cables are known to work in general because this buh and the various patch cables in use work with the other devices in the media center. It all seems to come down to direct wired OK but through the hub no connection.

For what its worth, this no connect through the hub happened with the SB3 firmware it came with and I did update the firmware once with the network direct connected and I still get the same result.

Anybody have any idea how to get this to work? I really like the SB3 but I need to have multiple devices in the same area wired which means I need a hub or switch to give me more ports.

I supposed I could try a different hub/switch but I would rather not spend the money just to find it doesn't fix the problem.

gby

PS If it helps any the DCHP server connects to the house wiring through a DLink 5 port Gigabit switch which goes to the basement where there is a DLink 8 port Gigabit switch that then connects to the wired outlet in the media area.

cliveb
2007-08-18, 08:14
1. If I connect the SB3 direct to the wall jack it works just fine.

2. If I connect the wall to the 4 port and then a port to the SB3 I can't get a connection no matter what I do.

Anybody have any idea how to get this to work? I really like the SB3 but I need to have multiple devices in the same area wired which means I need a hub or switch to give me more ports.
I'm not familiar with the DS104, but if it's a fairly old hub then it might have a specific uplink port, or possibly one of the ports might have a toggle switch that turns it between a standard port and an uplink. (Modern hubs and switches auto-sense, of course, but older ones didn't). If the DS104 is like that, and if the wall socket in turn goes to another hub/switch, you'll need to make sure the DS104 is connected via a port configured as an uplink.

gby
2007-08-18, 08:31
Cliveb,

Good thought about the uplink port because this hub is indeed an older one. However, since the hub is set up and working with another device I think it is set up and wired correctly.

I plug the SB3 into an empty port and no connection. I even unplugged the working device and plug the SB3 in that port and it still doesn't work.

So, either this isn't the issue or there is a very subtle configuration issue going on here.

gby

Phil Leigh
2007-08-18, 09:18
Only the fourth port on a ds104 is configurable to be an uplink port - this needs to be the one that connects to the other switch/hub...

gby
2007-08-18, 09:28
The 4th port is connected to the wall outlet going to the rest of the network. My other device works on any of the other three ports and the SB3 works on none of them. Very strange.

gby

Phil Leigh
2007-08-18, 09:45
The 4th port is connected to the wall outlet going to the rest of the network. My other device works on any of the other three ports and the SB3 works on none of them. Very strange.

gby

And I guess you have the uplink button "in"? - very odd... there isn't much to go wrong with these hubs...
I'd try another cable (between sb and hub) just to be sure.