PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver - multiple

Kurt
2007-08-17, 15:57
If you have two Squeezeboxes, can they be tied to two different instances of SlimServer?

I guess I'm envisioning two SBs in two different locations in the house playing two different playlists of music. Assuming the music database was on a central server, if you had a laptop at each SB location, would each laptop show each respective SB's playlist? Is there a way for switching which SB that Slimserver is looking at?

I'm sure I'm just not seeing something obvious, but I only have one now and can't visualize how this would work!

Thanks...

Ross L
2007-08-17, 16:25
You don't need two instances of SlimServer, but that would work too. You can have multiple players connect to the same SlimServer, and control them together, or independently.

With more than one player connected to SlimServer you'll see an option at the top right, to toggle which player you're controlling.

4mula1
2007-08-17, 17:55
There are instances where two instances of SlimServer are desirable, mostly in music collections where "cross-pollution" is very undesireble. I pulled it off using zones in Solaris 10 before my wife decided that DRM tracks from the iTMS were a good idea. <Sigh>

In the case of a more normal shared library organizing music into folders based on the listener can keep things separate, and common interests can be put into another folder. I have some music for my daughter and it's all in a folder under her name, and all of my music is in a folder with my name. To make a quick playlist I just browse the music folders and add everything in my folder.

erland
2007-08-17, 21:37
As already said, the only reason to have several SlimServers is if you like to see different music when browsing/searching on each SB. If you like the same music to be available when browsing/searching, there is no need to have multiple SlimServer instances.

However, if you see the need to divide your music library into two or more sub libraries, the following options exist:

Install 2 SlimServer's och 2 different computers. Connect each SB to it's own computer. The music files can be shared over the network, but you will need to have to divide it into different main directory for each SlimServer instance.

Install 2 SlimServer's on the same computer. This is a bit tricky but it is possible, at least on Linux. This wiki page show you some ideas:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RunningMultipleSlimServers
The music files can be shared over the network, but you will need to have to divide it into different main directory for each SlimServer instance.

Use a single SlimServer instance but install the Multi Library and Custom Browse plugins. This will make it possible to define virtual sub libraries in SlimServer and have separate browse menus for each sub library. Searching will still be done on the whole main library.