PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze --->ssh client--->ssh server/slimserver

mkanet
2007-08-17, 13:27
Softsqueeze SSH configuration is unecessarily complex. This is the ONLY app I haven't been able to work out of all the apps I use.

I can't find any good instructions on how to configure softsqueeze to:

Softsqueeze --->ssh client--->ssh server/slimserver

Can someone point me to straightforward definitive instructions on what to put in the softsqueeze SSH configuration page? My ssh client has a socks proxy running listening on port 1080. Nothing fancy.

Thanks,
Michael

mherger
2007-08-17, 13:38
> I can't find any good instructions on how to configure softsqueeze to:
> Softsqueeze --->ssh client--->ssh server/slimserver

Why not use Softsqueeze' integrated ssh client?

The following wiki article has information about tunneling:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectingRemotely

Michael

mkanet
2007-08-17, 13:50
I only wish to have one ssh tunnel from my work to home. Having two tunnels is not necessary. I already have one tunnel setup for all my apps.

Can someone please help?

> I can't find any good instructions on how to configure softsqueeze to:
> Softsqueeze --->ssh client--->ssh server/slimserver

Why not use Softsqueeze' integrated ssh client?

The following wiki article has information about tunneling:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectingRemotely

Michael

mherger
2007-08-17, 14:09
> I only wish to have one ssh tunnel from my work to home. Having two
> tunnels is not necessary. I already have one tunnel setup for all my
> apps.

You complained it was hard to do, but you don't want the easy solution which was implemented to keep things simple? It's too easy then for you?

The wiki has the info you're looking for.

Michael

pfarrell
2007-08-17, 14:17
mkanet wrote:
> apps.
>
> Can someone please help?

People are trying to help. But the number of ssh tunnels seems like a
strange restriction to me. You set up the SSH daemon once, and just use it.

Whether you have one connection or ten is invisible to the user.

Seems to me that you've overly restricted the solution space.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

mkanet
2007-08-17, 14:52
I am guessing by the comments that what I'm asking is either not possible or there isn't the expertise necessary to help me achieve what I asked for in the title of the thread. Anyway, there is a good reason why I prefer to keep just a single discrete ssh connection.

mkanet wrote:
> apps.
>
> Can someone please help?

People are trying to help. But the number of ssh tunnels seems like a
strange restriction to me. You set up the SSH daemon once, and just use it.

Whether you have one connection or ten is invisible to the user.

Seems to me that you've overly restricted the solution space.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Robin Bowes
2007-08-17, 15:12
mkanet wrote:
> I am guessing by the comments that what I'm asking is either not
> possible or there isn't the expertise necessary to help me achieve what
> I asked for in the title of the thread. Anyway, there is a good reason
> why I prefer to keep just a single discrete ssh connection.

I have done this before, so it's certainly possible. I just did
port-forwarding with my ssh client and pointed softsqueeze at localhost.

R.

mherger
2007-08-17, 15:16
> I have done this before, so it's certainly possible. I just did
> port-forwarding with my ssh client and pointed softsqueeze at localhost.

you mean as discribed in the wiki I mentioned earlier? :-) I'm doing this so often, the needed ports are forwarded by default when connecting home.

Michael

mkanet
2007-08-17, 15:25
Great, could you please tell me what you did to make it work. I already forwarded ports 9000 and 3483 (client to server ssh forwarding) and pointed softsqueeze to localhost. That's actually the first thing I tried. I dont have any problems doing port forwarding for other apps.

mkanet wrote:
> I am guessing by the comments that what I'm asking is either not
> possible or there isn't the expertise necessary to help me achieve what
> I asked for in the title of the thread. Anyway, there is a good reason
> why I prefer to keep just a single discrete ssh connection.

I have done this before, so it's certainly possible. I just did
port-forwarding with my ssh client and pointed softsqueeze at localhost.

R.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-17, 15:44
That is all it takes.

Only two surprises for me:
1) Do not turn on SSH tunnelling on the SSH tab. That will make Softsqueeze try to tunnel itself. For whatever reason, you don't want to use it, so don't turn that on.

2) Perhaps it is just a long day, but I had to use the name 'localhost' not 127.0.0.1 in the server name tab.

Other than that it just worked. (Well and the ssh command line is icky.. but whatever.)

Robin Bowes
2007-08-17, 16:42
mkanet wrote:
> Great, could you please tell me what you did to make it work. I already
> forwarded ports 9000 and 3483 (client to server ssh forwarding) and
> pointed softsqueeze to localhost. That's actually the first thing I
> tried. I dont have any problems doing port forwarding for other apps.

That worked for me. I don't remember the details since I've worked from
home for a couple of years and don't need to tunnel any more.

R.

4mula1
2007-08-17, 17:50
I created tunnels on port 9000 and 3483 and was able to connect with Softsqueeze using either localhost or 127.0.0.1 for a server.

To the OP, make sure in the prefs for Softsqueeze you have the Slimserver hostname in the Basic tab set to 127.0.0.1 or localhost and ssh is disabled in the SSH tab.

mkanet
2007-08-17, 18:39
Thanks for all the help. Yeah, thats exactly what I tried. However, when I started softsqueeze up, it would not show anything in the GUI LCD. When I checked the log for my SSH client, it showed that softsqueeze was trying to connect via 3483 to it and it would get stuck at that point. I think the problem has to do with my SSH client...Tunnelier. There isnt a whole lot to configure other that forwarding port 3483 and 9000. I'm sure it would work with putty.

4mula1
2007-08-18, 05:16
I did my test above with putty.

mkanet
2007-08-22, 08:05
Okay, I got it to work. The problem was (as someone stated earlier) I had to put 127.0.0.1 in port redirection of my SSH client instead of localhost; using the Tunnelier SSH client.

Now... I have one more stumbling block... my audio is stuttering. I have more than enough bandwidth to support 128kbps audio streams. I also tried this with the builtin SSH client of softsqueeze and got the same stuttering. What settings do I need to change to make this work correctly?

Thanks so much for all your help!

mkanet
2007-08-22, 13:19
I have tried and tried... I can't get softsqueeze to stop from heavily stuttering the audio via ssh. I have approximately 700kbps usable bandwidth. I've tried limiting my bandwidth via slimserver even down to 96kbps. I have tried upping the audio buffer to 30 seconds on slimserver. I've tried upping the audio buffer size in the softsqueeze player. Nothing changes this heavy stuttering. I have no problems using softsqueeze locally on the same machine as the slimserver. I also have no problems streaming audio from other sources at much higher bitrates.

mll
2007-09-07, 06:04
FWIW, I can't get to use the built-in SSH client, but with Putty I can connect just fine if I do some port forwarding as explaine on this thread (except that music suffers from heavy stuttering (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38037) in SoftSqueez [but no stuttering if pointing winamp to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3]).

4mula1
2007-09-07, 06:18
FWIW, I can't get to use the built-in SSH client, but with Putty I can connect just fine if I do some port forwarding as explaine on this thread (except that music suffers from heavy stuttering (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38037) in SoftSqueez [but no stuttering if pointing winamp to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3]).

Softsqueeze should be pretty straighforward to setup. Make sure on the Basic tab you enter the hostname (if in your hosts file) or IP address of the computer running SlimServer. On the SSH tab make sure the checkbox for Use SSH Tunnel is checked, and the correct SSH server is selected (should be where you are running SlimServer). Verify the login information is correct.

As for the stuttering when playing, what file format are you playing? Using stream.mp3 converts everything to mp3 if it isn't already. You may have bandwidth problems if you're trying to stream flac, wav, or alac.

mll
2007-09-07, 09:30
Softsqueeze should be pretty straighforward to setup. Make sure on the Basic tab you enter the hostname (if in your hosts file) or IP address of the computer running SlimServer. On the SSH tab make sure the checkbox for Use SSH Tunnel is checked, and the correct SSH server is selected (should be where you are running SlimServer). Verify the login information is correct.
OK, now I can do it, I don't remember what I fixed.

As for the stuttering when playing, what file format are you playing? Using stream.mp3 converts everything to mp3 if it isn't already. You may have bandwidth problems if you're trying to stream flac, wav, or alac.
Maybe it's a bandwidth priblme, but it occurs even with MP3s... discussion continued on http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38037, I wouldn't like to hijack the thread... :)