PDA

View Full Version : Track Ordering Problem

mr swim
2007-08-17, 06:42
Hello all,

I have a strange problem with track ordering.

With Random turned securely OFF, I select an album which has more than 9 tracks.

It will play it starting with 1, then 10, 11 etc. When it has moved through all the tracks starting with the number 1, it will move on to 2. In other words, it won't play the tracks on an album in the right order, if there are more than 9 tracks.

That's weird no? And I'm sure there must be a fix for it, though I can't find any threads about it.

Anyone know the answer?

Will.

davep
2007-08-17, 07:00
Hello all,

I have a strange problem with track ordering.

With Random turned securely OFF, I select an album which has more than 9 tracks.

It will play it starting with 1, then 10, 11 etc. When it has moved through all the tracks starting with the number 1, it will move on to 2. In other words, it won't play the tracks on an album in the right order, if there are more than 9 tracks.

That's weird no? And I'm sure there must be a fix for it, though I can't find any threads about it.

Anyone know the answer?

Will.
Unless your tracks are numbered with 2 digit track numbers (i.e. 01, 02, etc) then 10 will play after 1 and before 2. This obviously doesn't apply if the track count is 9 or less.

davep

Siduhe
2007-08-17, 07:01
Couple of questions - how are you selecting these files to play - by using Browse Music Folder, or by using something different?

If Browse Music Folder, that method of looking at your music doesn't take any of the tag information from your files - it just adds the files in the order they appear in your folder. That sounds the most likely

If not, how are your files tagged - or is Slimserver guessing the tag information? Open up an affected album in something like Mp3tag or Tag & Rename - does the track number information look right to you?

mr swim
2007-08-17, 07:12
how are you selecting these files to play - by using Browse Music Folder, or by using something different?

Yes, using the Music Folder. Having another look I realize that it is only if I select the album this way that I get the problem. So it is just that the track numbers in the filename are '1' rather than '01' etc. Thanks for these prompt responses, I'll get the database updated and then I won't need to browse by music folder!

Will.

Siduhe
2007-08-17, 08:08
Glad it was as simple at that!

Most good tagging programs will a) have an option to insert track numbers as 01, 02, 03 etc and b) batch rename your files using the same 2 number format, if you want to stick to using Browse Music Folder. But I agree, updating the database is far and away the easiest thing to do...

moley6knipe
2007-08-19, 01:45
Tag & Rename is really, really good for things like this - I used it to make all of my filenames and track tags 2 digits. It's not free software, but it's so good it's worth the 15 or whatever it is.

JJZolx
2007-08-19, 21:39
SlimServer correctly handles single digit track number _tags_ without the zero padding. Since track numbers are stored as integers in the database, it can't make a difference.

The only place you'll see incorrect track ordering is when browsing by music folder, where you will need the leading zero to get things to queue in the correct order.

moley6knipe
2007-08-20, 04:08
Oh, for sure. But I'm a neat-geek-freak!