PDA

View Full Version : Second SqueezeBox connecting

jordi.c
2007-08-17, 06:14
Hello,

I'm so happy with my first SqueezeBox that I'm thinking about buying a second one.

I have one problem. I don't have a Wireless ethernet modem.

In the room I want to place the second squeezebox has only one ethernet port available and that one is in use by the PC.

My current Squeezebox is connected by a wired ethernet port.

I have read somewhere on the internet that it is possible to connect your second Squeezebox wireless with your first Squeezebox (which is connected by wire).

I can't understand that this is possible by the fact the second squeezebox is not in connecting with the modem and therefor gets no IP addressee.

What is the best thing I can do, now I want another Squeezebox in my living room with no ethernet ports available without buying a new wireless modem?

Kind Regards
Jordi

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-17, 06:22
I have read somewhere on the internet that it is possible to connect your second Squeezebox wireless with your first Squeezebox (which is connected by wire).

It's the other way around. The Squeezebox can act as a wireless bridge. The first Squeezebox must be wireless. It acts as a bridge to wired downstream devices.

I can't understand that this is possible by the fact the second squeezebox is not in connecting with the modem and therefor gets no IP addressee.

DHCP requests can be passed up the chain or you can use static IP addresses.

What is the best thing I can do, now I want another Squeezebox in my living room with no ethernet ports available without buying a new wireless modem?

If you look around, wireless routers are extremely cheap, sometimes even free after rebate.

You can keep your existing modem if you want.

jhurley
2007-08-17, 06:24
What about using a small, cheap ethernet switch and couple of wired ethernet over power connector? Probably be cheaper than a decent wireless modem.

Personally I have a wireless modem and 2 squeezeboxes and some other devices connected over wirless. It's OK but even between a first floor office and a living room the wireless signal can get a bit ropey. I've been looking at the ethernet over power stuff to try and boost my signal to the squeezebox and a new media centre in the living room.

I have no personal experience with using ethernet over power as a bridge, as yet.

pfarrell
2007-08-17, 06:28
jordi.c wrote:
> I have one problem. I don't have a Wireless ethernet modem.

You can buy a wireless router for under $30.
Technically, what you want is a Wireless Access Point, but
for some bizare reason, they sell for $150 when advertised as such, and
sell for $30 when advertized as a "multi-port wireless router"

Just get one with four or so RJ45 jacks for real ethernet, plus the WiFi
antenna.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-17, 06:32
What about using a small, cheap ethernet switch and couple of wired ethernet over power connector? Probably be cheaper than a decent wireless modem.

At least on this side of the pond, an Ethernet switch costs about the same as a wireless router, and Ethernet-over-powerline connectors cost 2 - 3 times more than a wireless router.

jordi.c
2007-08-17, 07:01
jordi.c wrote:
> I have one problem. I don't have a Wireless ethernet modem.

You can buy a wireless router for under $30.
Technically, what you want is a Wireless Access Point, but
for some bizare reason, they sell for $150 when advertised as such, and
sell for $30 when advertized as a "multi-port wireless router"

Just get one with four or so RJ45 jacks for real ethernet, plus the WiFi
antenna.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Thanks for your tips guys.

Omg, didn't know that are wireless routers available and how cheap they are.

Anyway, I think that's the best solution for me.

Cheers.