PDA

View Full Version : SlimCD/Linux Newbie

LabMan
2007-08-16, 10:03
Please forgive my stupidity, i have worked as an IT Manger on windows system for so long that i do not even remember what DOS is much less understand Linux/Unix, but i ma sure that i can pick it up quickly if someone can point me in the proper direction.

I have a Nano ITX box (fanless) with a USA Pen drive with SlimCD on it and a 500GB USB hard drive that has the music on it.

I have been able to get the unit to work and be persistant (keep all its settings by having two partitions (sda1 and sda2)on the USB Pen Drive. The only problem i have now is that the system is not automounting the second partition on the USB Pen Drive or the USB hard drive (sdb1).

I have tried to edit the etc/fstab file but have had not luck in getting the proper information in there to cause it to automount sda2 and sdb1. I am not even sure if that is the correct file to make modification to to cause this to happen.

I seem to have figured out everything else but that.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction it wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance

mherger
2007-08-16, 10:19
> The only problem i have now is that the system is not
> automounting the second partition on the USB Pen Drive or the USB hard
> drive (sdb1).

You'd probably best add a mount command to /opt/bootlocal.sh - it's run on system start up.

(OTOH I'd recommend having a look at FreeNAS/SlimNAS: they're imho easier to set up on a configuration like yours)
http://www.herger.net/SlimNAS

Michael

LabMan
2007-08-17, 07:00
Michael,

Thank you for the hint. Every thing is now working just as i want it to.

I must say though that setting up SlimCD on a USB pen drive, getting it to be persistent and running it was very very easy.It was a three step process that took less than half an hour. The only problem was to find the right file to put the mount command in.

I now have a totally quite (even the external hard drive makes no noise) system that sits in the stereo rack and can be viewed on the T.V. (has a pc input)if needed, although i do not for see the need to use the web interface very much except to maybe up date the version or a plug in or two.

Again thanks for the help.
LabMan

SteveEast
2007-08-17, 09:03
As ever, Michael is far too modest about SlimCD...

Steve.

mherger
2007-08-17, 09:15
> As ever, Michael is far too modest about SlimCD...

Hey, I recommended using SlimNAS instead ;-)

Michael

Ron F.
2007-08-17, 11:07
I have been running SlimCD on my Nano-ITX machine for several months now without a reboot. I know it is not the solution for everyone, but I would not want anything different as a music server. I have it plugged into a UPS, so it keeps running during power failures (which have occurred.) I am not sure how long it will be now before it has to be rebooted.

My CD player is getting very dusty - I no longer recall exactly when I used it last.

-Ron