PDA

View Full Version : What does a $350,000 system sound like?

MajorD
2007-08-16, 09:05
I read this article and thought about many of you whom I've seen and read about here on these forums...
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9760802-1.html?tag=recentPosts

Too bad there's no way to actually hear the system without going there.

wr420
2007-08-16, 11:54
Is that you Pat?

ioncube
2007-08-18, 14:46
What does a $350,000 system sound like

Interesting question, and in practice, probably not that much better than a decent $3,500 system due to the law of diminishing returns. Would still be nice to hear it though :)

slimkid
2007-08-19, 00:00
Interesting question, and in practice, probably not that much better than a decent $3,500 system due to the law of diminishing returns. Would still be nice to hear it though :)

I had a chance to hear a $120.000 system once. Not exactly sure what it was, but mostly Lynn. Wasn't impressed for the price - don't know what I was expecting, but certainly way less 'wow' than when I first time heard true HiFi sound (Marantz).

K

ioncube
2007-08-19, 03:33
don't know what I was expecting, but certainly way less 'wow' than when I first time heard true HiFi sound (Marantz).

Exactly. The differences between a 350,000 and let's say 35,000 system are presumably measurable given favourable conditions and top notch monitoring equipment, but it's less likely that the average 30 to 40 year olds ears and brain can detect much, particularly if they're unmusical and untrained in listening.

If one does implement a really top spec system then it's probably not going to put it in an average living room filled with junk that compromises the sound, but will be in a dedicated multimedia room with as close to desirable acoustics as possible, and that will probably have as much a beneficial effect as anything.

I'm currently putting the picture speakers that you can get from soundartuk.com into our kitchen as traditional speakers were unsuitable, and with an onsite demo I was surprised at how good those sound relative to my expectations. The sound is radiated differently to normal speakers, and stereo imaging even from a dual transducer single panel was very effective. You can also get ones that are plastered into the wall or ceiling so that they're completely invisible. Not going to sound as good as the ugly speakers from the 350K system, but definitely more pleasing :)

norman12
2007-08-19, 03:46
Well, for that money it really ought to sound like a million dollars!

drewe181
2007-08-19, 05:41
Has Steve Guttenberg done anything since Police Academy? I can't imagine how he bankrolls his HiFi habit.

JimC
2007-08-19, 21:51
I'm currently putting the picture speakers that you can get from soundartuk.com into our kitchen as traditional speakers were unsuitable, and with an onsite demo I was surprised at how good those sound relative to my expectations. The sound is radiated differently to normal speakers, and stereo imaging even from a dual transducer single panel was very effective. You can also get ones that are plastered into the wall or ceiling so that they're completely invisible. Not going to sound as good as the ugly speakers from the 350K system, but definitely more pleasing :)

I saw these at the CEDIA show in Australia a few weeks ago. They sounded surprisingly good. I am considering them for our living room -- it's not a primary listening room plus it's really my wife's area, in terms of decor. She's been reticent to allow speakers and doing ceiling speakers in that part of the room would be difficult.

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could keep us posted as to how you like them after some time listening to them.

-=> Jim

peejay
2007-08-19, 23:50
You should probably have posted this in the Audiophile forum. A few of the regulars there can probably answer this from their own personal experience with their own kit. At least that's sometimes the impression you get....

moley6knipe
2007-08-20, 04:00
The best bit of the whole article is the reply posted under...

TalkBack
1 message

...at the bottom of the screen. He he he! How true.

MajorD
2007-08-20, 17:03
The best bit of the whole article is the reply posted under...

TalkBack
1 message

...at the bottom of the screen. He he he! How true.

Ha! Nice.

I'm a bit surprised that the author of the article would find anything wrong with this stereo - it should perform like nothing else in the world; especially at $350k. I'd be pretty pissed if I drop 1/3 of a million for some muddy bass.

ioncube
2007-08-20, 17:08
I am considering them for our living room -- it's not a primary listening room plus it's really my wife's area, in terms of decor. She's been reticent to allow speakers and doing ceiling speakers in that part of the room would be difficult.

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could keep us posted as to how you like them after some time listening to them.

Will do. Ceiling speakers are quite nasty which is why I didn't want them. Right now I have an m-audio monitor speaker on a small table, and that does the job at a fraction of the price, but it's not the right solution. The cable is chased into the wall, but we're stuck on choosing a picture at the moment so the panel isn't here yet. I introduced the guys to Flickr as they have a not very inspiring range of pictures currently, and as you can supply custom images, I'm hoping we can find something suitable from there and they should be finding more artists that way too.

Initial impressions when they came to demo was very good. Mid range lacked some clarity, but good stereo imaging and wide frequency response. The amp contains a subwoofer, but I turned that right down when testing to see how the panel responded. As I found when first plugged in, they can go much louder than I'll ever use unless I want to annoy my neighbour. What's interesting is that the sound levels do not drop off as much as traditional speakers when you move away from them (according to their blurb), and it seemed to be the case.

I expect it'll be a few weeks yet before we get it, but once it's in I'll try to remember to report back. I'm also curious about the ones that get plastered into the wall to be invisible. They said that museums have installed them where they want no visible sound sources, and the installer was saying that one client used them for the surround sound in their cinema room.

adamslim
2007-08-21, 05:12
I heard those monster speakers at the Heathrow hifi show last year. They were driven by some huge amps, although the system wasn't $350k (I think!).

They do remarkably well at not sounding there - you can't tell where the speakers are if you close your eyes, so good are they at 'getting the sound out of the box'. Just a lovely deep image.

However, they are quite hard-sounding, beyond the 'visceral impact' that you can get with some horns. I couldn't live with them, although I did love what they did well. At this cost level, as with any other, there is compromise!

Adam

moley6knipe
2007-08-21, 05:28
At this sort of price range you could buy a good PA system! A friend of mine spends his summers rigging PAs for gigs in various forests around the UK - they've got the technology to the stage now that you hook your laptop up to the speakers (all actives) and tell them exactly how to behave - throw of sound, direction, height of image, freq response, everything. Apparently with some systems you can stand two fields away from a full rig blasting out and hardly know it's there, the sound is so controllable!

Be interesting to see if this sort of thing ever makes it into hi-fi speakers, i.e. just buy some speakers and your PC/Mac etc tells them how/when/where to sound!

MajorD
2007-08-21, 08:47
Be interesting to see if this sort of thing ever makes it into hi-fi speakers, i.e. just buy some speakers and your PC/Mac etc tells them how/when/where to sound!

That's an exciting idea. If it were available and if it were quality, I would consider buying a PCIe card with digital ins
& outs. It would be a nice addition to a home theater PC. Add a fully functional web-based interface and, voila! - you just replaced your receiver.

Speaking of wall mounted speakers...
Leon Speakers (http://www.cepro.com/article/leon_speaker_corp_to_show_17k_leon_seven_series_on _wall_speakers/)

st2lemans
2007-08-22, 00:16
> That's an exciting idea. If it were available and if it were quality,
> I would consider buying a PCIe card with digital ins
> & outs. It would be a nice addition to a home theater PC.

We use a lot of these:

http://www.lynxone.com/products.html

Tom