PDA

View Full Version : The race continues..Sirrius & Sonos

brdbointx
2007-08-15, 18:09
I just noticed the Sonos has added Sirrus radio to their web-direct services:

http://www.sonos.com/get_music/radio_services/sirius/?tref=home

I keep hoping SLIM goes for XM -- and soon :-)

EnochLight
2007-08-15, 18:33
I keep hoping SLIM goes for XM -- and soon :-)

Yeah, tell me about it - I have an XM receiver in both my wife's and my car. If I could play an account on my Squeezebox it would be an awesome alternative to the other Internet radio providers.

Come on Slim/Logitech - XM for us please? ;-P

SuperQ
2007-08-15, 20:18
Yeah, tell me about it - I have an XM receiver in both my wife's and my car. If I could play an account on my Squeezebox it would be an awesome alternative to the other Internet radio providers.

There are plugins for both.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginsAudio

http://www.gregbrown.net/squeeze/#Sirius%20Radio

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2144&d=1166067926

EnochLight
2007-08-15, 21:05
The plugins are nice - when they work - but I'm talking about *official* Squeezenetwork support (or better yet official support from within SlimServer). This is something Logitech/Slim could brag about on the front page....

Still, the plugins are a nice thing.

Mark:
2007-08-15, 21:25
Hi,

No disrespect intended (probably not the best opening for your first post on a forum), but...

I've had XM (in my car) since 2001, and love it.

However, IMHO it sounds like a telephone receiver, and the more channels they add, the lower the quality gets. It's ok for the car (I guess), but I don't think I'd invite it into my home.

Just curious, why do people want to listen to it through a SB?

If you were looking for DMX (the original digital consumer satellite radio) on SB, that makes more sense to me.
Unfortunately, I don't believe DMX is available on the web.

Thanks,
-Mark

vdonovan
2007-08-15, 21:25
The XM modern jazz station is awesome.

jjazz
2007-08-16, 05:23
The XM modern jazz station is awesome.

I agree with you about Beyond Jazz.

I also agree with Mark. A lot of the stations are unacceptable from a quality perspective. I think they will have to do something to keep/catch up to HD radio eventually.

fuzzyT
2007-08-16, 09:09
Perhaps if XM and Sirius realize that there's money to made selling subscriptions for internet delivery of their content, they might be willing to put up some higher rate streams.

They've got limited bandwidth from the sats to earth, but the situation is different over the 'net.

brdbointx
2007-08-16, 21:51

I actually use the XM plugin on my slimserver -- but I have gotten to the point where I primarily use Squeezenetwork (love having no machines on - and with rhapsody and mp3tunes- I am set). I love having everything all together. So i guess I should rephrase and say "would love it on SN"

brdbointx
2007-08-16, 21:52
Hi,

No disrespect intended (probably not the best opening for your first post on a forum), but...

I've had XM (in my car) since 2001, and love it.

However, IMHO it sounds like a telephone receiver, and the more channels they add, the lower the quality gets. It's ok for the car (I guess), but I don't think I'd invite it into my home.

Just curious, why do people want to listen to it through a SB?

If you were looking for DMX (the original digital consumer satellite radio) on SB, that makes more sense to me.
Unfortunately, I don't believe DMX is available on the web.

Thanks,
-Mark

I dunno - for background and dinner music I find the selection of stations quite nice.

GoCubs
2007-08-17, 19:59
Perhaps if XM and Sirius realize that there's money to made selling subscriptions for internet delivery of their content, they might be willing to put up some higher rate streams.

They've got limited bandwidth from the sats to earth, but the situation is different over the 'net.
Sirius does offer higher quality 128k streams over the net which actually sound pretty dam good...

-Greg