PDA

View Full Version : help !

zanash
2007-08-15, 05:10
whilst playing my sb3....it stopped

and when I tried to start the player it said folder empty...then seemed to scan something very quickly.

so checking my music files location ...the artist folder are intact but all the albums and flac files within have vanished to be replace with folders that are empty with date modified like 11/15/2043 00.00 ! and file names that are made up mainly of boxes

checking with my virus scanner[macafee]it see the flac files ???

my back up is unaffected .....

slimserver can't see anything and the left side of the screen is blank ????

any thoughts or ideas

zanash
2007-08-15, 05:26
ok ..suddenly the sb3 sprank back into life after an hour ...

it now appears everything upto m in the music folder is garbage

whats going on ?

Siduhe
2007-08-15, 05:35
The SB can't alter the files which are physically stored on your hard drive, but its database may get corrupted from time to time. There are also problems with McAfee which sees the scanning function of Slimserver as "suspicious" and can block access. Can you add an exception for scanner.exe and slim.exe to McAfee, or set it to ignore *.myi and *.myd files?

How are you tring to access these files via Slimserver - Browse Music Folder, or the main Browse Albums? Can you see the files on your hard disc using an explorer program?

If the main browse albums, have you done a full clear and rescan?

If not, have you tried stopping Slimserver, deleting the cache file, and then restarting?

If none of this works, a few more details would help, like OS, version of Slimserver, are they all flac files? What happens when you try the above?

zanash
2007-08-15, 05:42
cheers.....

just to say computers are not my strong suite.....! so be patient

going in to the music folder via my computer....all artists folders upto m appear as giberish slimserver refuses to read and remains blank if I try and view the albums.

full clear and rescan ....underway

where do I delete the slimserver cache ?

zanash
2007-08-15, 06:12
a rescan has confirmed that only half my music remains ....

tried to delete one of the scrambled music folders ...

error message cannot delete *****: the folder directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Siduhe
2007-08-15, 06:18
If something has affected your physical music folders, it's likely to be on your host machine. Slimserver doesn't have the ability to do anything other than read your music AFAIK. Do a virus scan (update McAfee first) - that would be my first guess as to what might have caused the files to become corrupted. You haven't installed any new programs recently have you?

Good for you for having a backup of your files though. Should be easy to restore the affected files.

slimpy
2007-08-15, 06:23
Something must have screwed up your file system badly.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't slimserver though.
Do you remember what you did on your computer just before the SB3 stopped playing (new/updated programs, virus scan, files copied/moved, etc).
Are the affected files on a local hd, external hd or NAS?
What filesystem?
What is your operating system?
Does the problem persist after a reboot?

-s.

ddewey
2007-08-15, 07:25
Quoting slimpy (slimpy.2vcznn1187184301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Something must have screwed up your file system badly.
> I'm pretty sure it wasn't slimserver though.
> Do you remember what you did on your computer just before the SB3
> stopped playing (new/updated programs, virus scan, files copied/moved,
> etc).
> Are the affected files on a local hd, external hd or NAS?
> What filesystem?
> What is your operating system?
> Does the problem persist after a reboot?

There is a new virus in the wild that deletes mp3 files. So far it
has only been seen affecting mp3 players, ie you plug your buddys
infected iPod into your machine and your mp3s get deleted.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-073010-4123-99&tabid=2

I'm guessing, though, that you have a filesystem problem.

zanash
2007-08-16, 00:45
I'm thinking it may be a hard drive issue ....

I've lost a total of six cd's checking through the back up and the curupted hd...

its odd that only some tracks are affected....

virus scanned with neg results ...good /bad ?

I'm going to reformat the hd and then reload the music..and see what happens !

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-16, 06:32
Try a surface scan of the disc first. Unfortunately I can't remember how to do this in Windows, maybe it's right-clicking the drive letter in Explorer, Properties, then a "Tools" tab?

zanash
2007-08-16, 23:38
it refused to scan or infact anything else ...conclusion failed hard drive ...after 2 months !

product was a western digial my book 500gb luckily it was from amazon and they have already setup a dispatch for a new one to replace it.

as an aside ....I used the phone you service .....the instant I inserted my phone number ...my phone rang I was we surprised epecially as it was amazon returning muy call.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-17, 05:36
it refused to scan or infact anything else ...conclusion failed hard drive ...after 2 months !

Not unusual. Hard drives are the sort of devices that have an "infant mortality" trait. If they don't fail within the first 6 months, they'll soldier on for 5 years+.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-17, 08:58

I'm glad you're one of the smart ones that made backups.

(I went for years without losing drives, but the last 3-4 years I think I have lost 7... admittedly I have a lot more drives scattered around, but Paranoia is good, especially since backup drives are cheap.)