PDA

View Full Version : NAS troubles

ronaldg
2007-08-14, 11:37
Slimserver is installed on my XP machine. I want to use my NAS to store my music only...not run Slimserver. Problem is I can't access the mapped drive in Slimserver's the "Music Folder" field. I tried using the drives IP address, mapped address, NAS name, etc....nothing. If I use an internal drive on my pc .... no problem.

I've searched and can only find reference to installing Slimserver on NAS not as mapped drive.

Please help.

Siduhe
2007-08-14, 12:43
Someone else had this problem recently - the FAQ appears to have disappeared from the Logitech site which is a bit of a pain as it's the most frequently asked question. Can anyone beat my searching skills and find a link?

Two options: use the UNC path (you may already have tried this) - it's essentially the path you put in to map the drive in the first place - something like //server/Music/My Music?

Otherwise, you may need to create a user account for the Slimserver service to get it to recognise the share. This is all assuming the network share doesn't require a password - if it does, there's another (bit more complicated) workround, but let us know if the previous suggestions work first.

HTH

mherger
2007-08-14, 13:13
> Two options: use the UNC path (you may already have tried this) - it's
> essentially the path you put in to map the drive in the first place -
> something like //server/Music/My Music?

Correct. No need for the FAQ, you're right ;-)

> Otherwise, you may need to create a user account for the Slimserver
> service to get it to recognise the share.

That's not an alternative to the above, but needed, too. By default
slimserver won't be able to access anything outside your computer. You'll
have to run it as a user, or allow for anonymous access on the NAS.

AFAIK that FAQ article should resurrect soon. We've been discussing that
topic.

And SlimServer 7 will feature a nifty folder selector box which allows you
to select drives/folders graphically.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

ronaldg
2007-08-14, 14:04
It's fixed...yay! Setting up a slimserver user account on the NAS worked.

Thanks folks!

mherger
2007-08-14, 20:36
> It's fixed...yay! Setting up a slimserver user account on the NAS
> worked.

Just to be sure I do understand: where did you create an account? On the
NAS or on XP?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

ronaldg
2007-08-15, 05:04
First I went to "admin tools/services/slimserver/logon" and enabled slimserver logon with a user/password then I created the slimserver user account on the NAS.

Ron

mherger
2007-08-15, 06:10
> First I went to "admin tools/services/slimserver/logon" and enabled
> slimserver logon with a user/password then I created the slimserver
> user account on the NAS.

thanks for the feedback. That's a nice summary of what there is to do :-)

Michael

rip74
2007-08-15, 08:07
I was running into the same problem tonight.

it took quite a bit of fussing (and I may have gone overkill), but I finally got it working.

I ended up creating a 'slimserver' account on both the XP machine and the NAS, with the same password in both places. I then edited the slimserver service under XP to login with the 'slimserver' account w/ password. I then restarted the service, put the UNC path into the server settings on slimserver, and it appears to be working now.

I tried just creating a 'slimserver' account on the NAS with no password, but I wasn't clear how the slimserver service was logged in and how it would try to log into the NAS. I tried adding the windows account w/ no password, but the XP service didn't want to work w/o a password. again, might be overkill, but seems to be working.

nelamvr6
2007-08-15, 12:02
Hmmm.... Curious: I have my music files stored on a NAS (Infrant) and I never had to create an account for Slimserver on the NAS or on my computer. I had been running Windows XP for a long while, but I've been running Linux for a couple of months, and it's working fine without these accounts.