PDA

View Full Version : EAC on Ubuntu Fiesty

eparson
2007-08-13, 23:59
I am attempting to run EAC using Wine, the application installed without issue, expect that it is no seeing my CD/DVD drive. I am a Linux newbie and am hoping someone can give me an idea as to what I might try to get it to recognize the drive. Thanks

mherger
2007-08-14, 00:13
> I am attempting to run EAC using Wine, the application installed without
> issue, expect that it is no seeing my CD/DVD drive. I am a Linux newbie
> and am hoping someone can give me an idea as to what I might try to get
> it to recognize the drive. Thanks

I'm not sure this can be done, as EAC is accessing the drive on a very low level. I doubt Wine will allow for that kind of access. But I might be wrong.

Why don't you just use Grip? IMHO it comes close to EAC in accuracy.

Michael

mherger
2007-08-14, 00:27
> I'm not sure this can be done, as EAC is accessing the drive on a very low level. I doubt Wine will allow for that kind of access. But I might be wrong.

Ok, a little googling told me that it was possible. But is it worth the hassle?

Michael

Dougal
2007-08-14, 06:32
I have had eac-095b4 running under wine and it can be made to function, but it is messy.

An alternative secure ripper not found in the repos is rubyripper this can be run from its own directory (gui or cli) and has only a few easily sorted dependencies.

http://rubyripper.googlecode.com/files/rubyripper-0.4.2.tar.bz2

Doug.

Shadowtester
2007-08-14, 06:39
I have EAC running in Kubuntu feisty with wine and have had no problems with it. I just used the EAC setup guide from Pedro's BTmusic tracker on the configuration did not do anything special I am using the lastest ver of wine could also be an issue with your drive I use a ide dvd-+rw drive.

eparson
2007-08-14, 14:14
"I have EAC running in Kubuntu feisty with wine and have had no problems with it. I just used the EAC setup guide from Pedro's BTmusic tracker on the configuration did not do anything special I am using the lastest ver of wine could also be an issue with your drive I use a ide dvd-+rw drive."

What version of Wine are you running?

erland
2007-08-14, 14:56
Do you really get any benefit of running EAC when you run it under Wine ?

I'm guessing that EAC can't access the hardware directly when running it this way and I have always thought that EAC get its strengths by the fact that it accesses the hardware directly.

Wouldn't a native Linux application based on cdparanoia be preferable, for example Grip ?

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-15, 06:00
I'm thinking if you can ever get a re-read in EAC under wine, EAC can detect when sectors don't match and you get the full benefits of the program. I would worry if you never get a re-read, then errors could be passing through and EAC can't detect them and won't do anything about them.

I seem to be the only one that appreciates EAC's best feature, logging. What is critical to me is - was the rip good? If not, which tracks had errors? Where were the errors in the track? This allows me to closely review these positions with headphones. Sometimes a single error, where EAC reports "suspicious position" at one place and nothing before or after, is inaudible, but a string of adjacent suspicious positions are usually audible. Grip doesn't produce logs - the only indication if it's having trouble is the length of time of the rip and a "happy face" that indicates ripping status. Once the rip is complete, the happy face is gone...

That's why I like RubyRipper, it logs, including suspicious positions. Its error correction method isn't as good as EAC's though, and the conclusions it comes to "Some track(s) needed correction, but could be corrected within the maximum amount of trials" is totally false. If you see a series of suspicious permissions, there will be audible defects just like in EAC. They have NOT been "corrected" but at least they've been logged.

Oh BTW RubyRipper does use cdparanoia, there was someone here who asserted it didn't - which got me worried, but it's not true. I've never tried EAC under wine, don't even have wine installed - it seems like a copout to me, but I may relent because there really is no program quite like EAC in Linux.

Shadowtester
2007-08-15, 06:02
I am not at home right now to check but I have added the repository for wine to my ubuntu update list and I update quite often it should be the latest or maybe just one behind at most. I will check tonight. And yes there are advantages to using EAC if you want a really accurate bit for bit rip I have not found any other app that is as accurate.

erland
2007-08-15, 08:52
I'm thinking if you can ever get a re-read in EAC under wine, EAC can detect when sectors don't match and you get the full benefits of the program.

And yes there are advantages to using EAC if you want a really accurate bit for bit rip I have not found any other app that is as accurate.

Just to be clear, I'm not questioning EAC, I'm using it myself but I run it on Windows. I would really love to run it on Linux but I haven't dared to do it yet. The thing I'm a bit afraid of on Linux is that EAC can't force a re-read when run under wine. I don't know if this is the case or not, but since wine is in the middle and the whole thing is running under another OS (Linux) which EAC doesn't know about, it seems to me that there might be things going on in the OS which EAC has no knowledge of. So EAC might think that it reads the drive directly when it in fact just reads from a cache in memory or from the hard drive.

But again, I don't know if this is the case or not, so if someone knows the definite truth, please post.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-15, 09:00
The thing I'm a bit afraid of on Linux is that EAC can't force a re-read when run under wine. I don't know if this is the case or not, but since wine is in the middle and the whole thing is running under another OS (Linux) which EAC doesn't know about, it seems to me that there might be things going on in the OS which EAC has no knowledge of. So EAC might think that it reads the drive directly when it in fact just reads from a cache in memory or from the hard drive.

But again, I don't know if this is the case or not, so if someone knows the definite truth, please post.

Yes, it's making sure EAC is capable of recognizing when a re-read is required and getting wine/Linux to carry it out that's the crucial part.

Anyone have a banged-up CD or is willing to sacrifice a good one? :-)

I might be inclined to try, but configuring wine isn't easy. Also I installed it under Automatix, which generally screwed up everything else. I have wine/Automatix on my secondary machine and I've vowed not to put Automatix on my primary machine. The secondary machine has developed dependency problems, blocked updates, packages that can't be updated, etc. A mess.

Shadowtester
2007-08-16, 05:55
I am using wine vs 0.9.42 I have not upgraded to the latest one yet . I have ripped a few cd that came up with a bad crc error in EAC under wine and I have had a few go though the re-read buffer working on getting a good rip and so far I have not had any problems however I have not done a bit by bit comparison of the same file that took time to re-read in wine and windows to verify they are bit for bit exact copies of each other. So far I have been very happy with the results I have received from EAC under wine.

Browny
2007-08-16, 06:33
Do you really get any benefit of running EAC when you run it under Wine ?

I'm guessing that EAC can't access the hardware directly when running it this way and I have always thought that EAC get its strengths by the fact that it accesses the hardware directly.

Wouldn't a native Linux application based on cdparanoia be preferable, for example Grip ?

EAC can not access the hardware directly on Windows (nothing can) - that is the whole point of having a Hardware Abstraction Layer. I'm pretty sure it is dependent on ASPI which does all the hard work.

Wine is not a virtual machine, but just a layer that maps Windows system calls to Linux ones. Assuming the calls required by EAC/ASPI have been mapped then it should work exactly the same on Linux/Wine as it does on Windows...

...Of course that's all just theory!

eparson
2007-08-16, 22:52
Okay, so I come back to the original question that I posed, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do to get EAC to recongize my CD drive. As suggested I loaded the lasted version of wine but this still did not resolve the problem....

eparson
2007-08-17, 00:44
Well I played around with this some more and finally got it working. I opened up winecfg and under the drives tab I hit autobrowse and by CD drive showed up. I then went into EAC options tab and under interface selected the Win32 option, restarted EAC and it works as advertised. It seems to make rips faster than it did when I ran it on a native windows box.