PDA

View Full Version : Some new questions........

Yesfan70
2007-08-12, 20:18
Just a few questions. First I have been going back and transcoding all my WMA Lossless files to Flac using dBpoweramp's batch convertor. I have some questions on sorting my library out.

1)Ripping. I can't seem to find an all in one program to rip and encode my CDs to Flac and building a folder structure. EAC is by far the best ripper, but I have to rip to wave and then use dB Poweramp to convert to Flac. This also means having to create and name folders and moving those ripped tracks to that folder.

dBPoweramp (I have the free version) keeps getting errors when I rip to flac. I like it becuase it rips and encodes in one step. I can't do that any more so does that mean I might have to pay for the upgrade package? Is it worth it?

WMP11 is pretty much near perfect as I get all the info and album art and folder structure the way I like it (artist/albums/tracks). if it could rip to flac, I would have it made.

Winamp sucks as a ripper. I have experienced a lot of dropped tracks. Roxio isn't much better as sometimes the drive won't even spin up (it tells me to insert a disc even though there's one in there).

Is there a Holy Grail program that will let you rip and encode with all the info the disc contains and also provide album art? I also tried Media Monkey, but it has it's days. dB poweramp seems to be the best (when it was working), but is paying for the power pack package worth it? I do like how it uses AMG for the disc info.

2) Slimserver. I have the fishbone skin. I am having problmes with missing artwork on my albums. Some show it and some don't. I have been going back and downloading and/or scanning the covers and saving them to the folders that also contain the tracks. I understand this is the best way for Slim server to look for it. I also have, under debugging section, d_artwork and d_display checked, but (after doing a rescan) still a no show. I even did a clear and rescan. Is there something else I need to check to get it to work?

Sorry for the long and winded post. The good news is the SB3 is still going which is the most important. I just wanted my files to be a little more detailed when vieing the display and/or Slim server and also to see the artwork on Slim server.

Thanks. This place has really helped me out when I need answers. I appreciate it.

davep
2007-08-12, 22:18
1)Ripping. I can't seem to find an all in one program to rip and encode my CDs to Flac and building a folder structure. EAC is by far the best ripper, but I have to rip to wave and then use dB Poweramp to convert to Flac. This also means having to create and name folders and moving those ripped tracks to that folder.

EAC can actually do the rip and encode step as one if you set it up right. Key is to point to the FLAC.exe as the external encoding program and then - perhaps counterintuitively - click on the "MP3" button in EAC, which actually means rip and encode to your chosen format (not necessarily mp3).

2) Slimserver. I have the fishbone skin. I am having problmes with missing artwork on my albums. Some show it and some don't. I have been going back and downloading and/or scanning the covers and saving them to the folders that also contain the tracks. I understand this is the best way for Slim server to look for it. I also have, under debugging section, d_artwork and d_display checked, but (after doing a rescan) still a no show. I even did a clear and rescan. Is there something else I need to check to get it to work?

Are you naming the jpg files with the appropriate standard name? (can't remember what the whole list is but I know it includes "cover.jpg"). You can find the details of the naming convention in the SlimServer settings under "Interface".

davep

Empgamer
2007-08-12, 23:29
Must admit, using that MP3 button to convert to FLAC had me stumped a while. I half expected a FLAC icon to appear once I selected FLAC and installed the .exe.

davep
2007-08-13, 04:10
Must admit, using that MP3 button to convert to FLAC had me stumped a while. I half expected a FLAC icon to appear once I selected FLAC and installed the .exe.

Yeah, it took me a while the first time. Might have been better if the button was labelled "Compressed" or something. I'm sure that there are a few people who've been put off by this.

Still, can't really complain when such a world class program is available for free.

davep

Pellicle
2007-08-13, 06:02
Why not use dBpoweramp CD ripper? I think this has progressed beyond EAC. It also can create the folder structure you want, do secure ripping, and pull down album art. I used EAC a good program but have found DBpoweramp to be easier to use and more full featured.
One other significant advantage particularly you have dual core systems is the ability to use both cores which significantly increases the speed of the rip encode process.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-13, 06:12
also have, under debugging section, d_artwork and d_display checked, but (after doing a rescan) still a no show. I even did a clear and rescan. Is there something else I need to check to get it to work?

Note that setting the debugging tags doesn't change behaviour, all it does is create a verbose log file to detail what it's doing. Also you ALWAYS have to do a clear and rescan to pick up new/changed album art. "Look for new and changed" won't do it.

Regarding album art, the best way is really with a separate program. Album Art Aggregator worked well when I was on Windows, but it's not compatible with the latest .NET 3.0. I switched to Album Cover Art Downloader and stuck with it when I switched to Linux. Unfortunately it's now no longer available. But you really need a separate program for cover art and unfortunately it can't be fully automatic with the different covers out there and the multiple image sizes.

Yesfan70
2007-08-13, 09:28
As for album art, what if you download or scan the artwork yourself? Is there a program out there that will work with slim server?

There is an option in basic settings where I can have slimserver look under "folder.jpg". I'm sorry if I come across as stupid, but I assume that this meant it will look for artwork in the same folder that the album tracks are in. I have been downloading artwork as I have been ripping CDs and trying to keep the tracks and covers in the same folder for simplicity.

Does the artwork have to be named "folder.jpg" or does this mean it just looks for the covers where it looks for tracks? If the latter is right, I'm still confused why some covers are displayed and others are not.

As for dB Poweramp, I have the free version. It mentions something about AMG being expired before I rip and then starts throwing out errors. I guess this means I have to upgrade for the paid part. If so I don't mind as I seem to like it the best, especially if it is good at retreiving all the CD's data including cover art.

Thanks fellas. I do appreciate the help.

Yesfan70
2007-08-13, 09:29
Oh yeah, everytime I have scanned I have done a clear and rescan. Forgot to mention that in my previous post. Sorry.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-08-13, 11:06
I just embed the cover art into each file. Much nicer that way.

mdconnelly
2007-08-13, 13:58
Regarding problems with cover art... I've found that if I use something like MediaMonkey to find and download the cover art, it will attempt to save it with the Album title. SlimServer is fine with that EXCEPT when the Album title has a ':' or '/' in it or some other character not allowed in Windows filenames.

Bottom line, if the jpg filename does not exactly match the album name and it is not one of the generic names (like cover.jpg), then SlimServer isn't going to see it. Took me awhile to discover this.

corbey
2007-08-13, 14:17
Why not use dBpoweramp CD ripper? I think this has progressed beyond EAC. It also can create the folder structure you want, do secure ripping, and pull down album art. I used EAC a good program but have found DBpoweramp to be easier to use and more full featured.
One other significant advantage particularly you have dual core systems is the ability to use both cores which significantly increases the speed of the rip encode process.

I second this recommendation. dBpoweramp is also a much faster secure ripper than EAC. If you're willing to pay for the subscription to AMG, you also get fairly consistent tagging and cover art, which it can embed in the tag, save as a file, or both.

Yesfan70
2007-08-13, 14:23
Are you naming the jpg files with the appropriate standard name? (can't remember what the whole list is but I know it includes "cover.jpg"). You can find the details of the naming convention in the SlimServer settings under "Interface".

davep

Dave,

Using Velvet Revolver as an example, I had the covert art labeled as Libertad (or Libertad.jpg) when I saved it to the folder. I tried Libertadcover.jpg since you mentioned that one of the standard names included cover.jpg. That didn't work either.

So, even though I thought it wouldn't work, I just renamed the cover pic as cover.jpg and and did a (check for new and changed) rescan. It worked. Then, just to double check, I changed the name of a cover to one of my blues albums to the same name. This time I didn't rescan and if anything happened at all I was sure it would show the Libertad cover. Nope, it should the right album cover.

Boy, do I feel like a dipsh......

Yesfan70
2007-08-13, 14:25
I second this recommendation. dBpoweramp is also a much faster secure ripper than EAC. If you're willing to pay for the subscription to AMG, you also get fairly consistent tagging and cover art, which it can embed in the tag, save as a file, or both.

Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead and cough up the money for it then. If I let the AMG subscription laspe, will I still be able to do the tag editing?