PDA

View Full Version : Issues Connecting to Linux File Server

crazyed
2007-08-12, 16:26
Hello all I have looked over this forum and can't seem to find an answer that works so i'm throwing up this post to see if anyone can help me out. Here's my setup...

I have a SB3 and am running Slimserver Version: 6.5.3 on an XP machine. Also on my network I've got a Fedora Core 5 machine with about 1.5tb of flacs, most of which are 44.1khz/16bit. I've got a few network drives from the Linux box mapped over to the windows box, i can connect that way no problem. Permissions on all directories and files on the Linux box is 777 so they should be wide open to my knowledge (mind you i'm no Linux guru by any means). On my windows box i've got a drive D where i keep my mp3 collection, and I've created windows shortcuts to each of the network drives that are on the Linux box and put them on drive d. Whenever I do a scan to add all music on drive d to the Slimserver, none of the flacs import into the Slimserver database. Everything that is on the windows box (locally) works fine but anything on the Linux box doesn't come over.

Or, when I go into Tune In URL and put in \\192.168.1.20\hdf1\New\phish1995-12-29 (which is the path to the flacs) nothing happens. This used to work fine for me, and I dont think anything really changed on my Linux box, and the only real thing that has changed on my windows box where Slimserver resides is just the fact that I've updated the Slimserver software.

I read on the Logitech FAQ page or whatever that one needs to create a user on the Linux box called Slimserver and make sure that the user has access to the files. Well i did create a user name called Slimserver but what would the password be(does that matter?). I think i gave that user account access to all the files but i'm not too sharp on users/groups in Linux.

So if anyone has any tips it'd appreciate it. I've contemplated moving all this over to a windows platform but its worked well for a long time doing what it does and did work with Slimserver for a while but now it just seems to be broken and my guess is something with permissions on the Linux box. Thanks in advanced.

mherger
2007-08-12, 23:06
> I read on the Logitech FAQ page or whatever that one needs to create a
> user on the Linux box called Slimserver and make sure that the user has
> access to the files.

Not quite right. You'll have to configure Samba on your Linux box to allow for anonymous access, too. Or make sure slimserver is run as a user known to the Linux box. The default system user used by SlimServer isn't allowed to access anything outside the local machine.

Michael

crazyed
2007-08-13, 16:14
>You'll have to configure Samba on your Linux box to allow for anonymous access, too.

Michael

Bingo that did it much thanks!!!