PDA

View Full Version : FreeNAS and Mount?

Jimmy-DK
2007-08-12, 15:06
Hi there,

I have the FreeNAS up and running with Slimserver - but I need to mount a drive on my Asus WL-500 (\\asusrouter\share) so the slimserver can scan for music there. How ?

Help me ... I have got no clue... ;-) Thanks!

Regards,

Jimmy

gharris999
2007-08-13, 06:17
Hi there,

I have the FreeNAS up and running with Slimserver - but I need to mount a drive on my Asus WL-500 (\\asusrouter\share) so the slimserver can scan for music there. How ?

Help me ... I have got no clue... ;-) Thanks!

Regards,

Jimmy

Assuming that the WL-500 is sharing your drive using samba, you'll want to use something like:

mount -t cifs //asusrouter/share /mnt/share -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx

...I think.

Jimmy-DK
2007-08-13, 08:07
Assuming that the WL-500 is sharing your drive using samba, you'll want to use something like:

mount -t cifs //asusrouter/share /mnt/share -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx

...I think.

Hi there gharris999,

Don't work - FreeNas don't know the command mount :-( Yes my ASUS is sharing the drive using samba.

Regards,

Jimmy

maggior
2007-12-28, 18:38
Hi -

I am trying to mount a share from one of my Windows machines to the freeNAS system and can't get it to work. The mount command is there and does work since if I enter the mount command by itself, it lists the mounted hard discs.

These windows shares can be mounted to my SUSE machine, so I know the shares are set up correctly on the Windows side.

I realize this isn't normally what you do with a NAS, but since it is being used to host SlimServer too, mounting external drives is a necessary thing.

Thanks for any help.

mherger
2007-12-28, 22:26
> I am trying to mount a share from one of my Windows machines to the
> freeNAS system and can't get it to work. The mount command is there
> and does work since if I enter the mount command by itself, it lists
> the mounted hard discs.

I doubt FreeNAS comes with the samba _client_ libraries needed to do this. But please ask in the FreeNAS forums to be sure.

Michael

maggior
2007-12-29, 00:13
> I am trying to mount a share from one of my Windows machines to the
> freeNAS system and can't get it to work. The mount command is there
> and does work since if I enter the mount command by itself, it lists
> the mounted hard discs.

I doubt FreeNAS comes with the samba _client_ libraries needed to do this. But please ask in the FreeNAS forums to be sure.

Michael

I found the exact syntax of the command for mounting Windows shares on FreeBSD and they didn't work. So I think you are correct.

I searched the FreeNAS forums and when the question was asked it was either ignored or it was pointed out that it made no sense to do something like this on a NAS device. Which is true, but with slimserver we are making it a bit more. Guess this is a limitation. You'd probably have this limitation on any NAS.

It was fun to play with. I'll look into some light-weight Linux distributions to use rather than FreeNAS.

saurus
2008-01-04, 14:37
Why not use the router directly as SlimServer with openWRT on it? Did someone tried this so far?