PDA

View Full Version : Fickle Favorites

Ralph 411
2007-08-11, 12:36
Getting started with Squeezebox. Primary interest is high-quality internet radio. Want to play a set of favorite stations when not connected to SlimServer. Can locate desired stations and their URL's. After saving the URL into the SqueezeNetwork on the PC, the following types of things are happening:

- Some saved Favorites are on the SB menu and play as expected
- Some saved Favorites are missing from the SB menu
- Some saved Favorites are on the SB menu, but do not play - instead the URL scrolls across the screen & nothing happens
- Some stations we did not save show up as Favorites

Further, we get inconsistent results when we try to save a Favorite while listening to a station we like. Usually when we right-arrow on the SB or select Favorites heart on the remote, nothing happens.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Siduhe
2007-08-11, 13:35
This may not be quite the answer you are looking for, but if your favourites are all internet radio stations, the My Picks plugin is a much better and more configurable way to manage them.

What is the channel you are trying to play that fails? Might be a format that Slimserver can't handle or one that needs Alien BBC installed?

Ralph 411
2007-08-11, 14:08
This may not be quite the answer you are looking for, but if your favourites are all internet radio stations, the My Picks plugin is a much better and more configurable way to manage them.

What is the channel you are trying to play that fails? Might be a format that Slimserver can't handle or one that needs Alien BBC installed?

* Ralph 411 Response:

Thanks for reply. We are trying to load Houston NPR station HD1 and HD2 - tried both .asx and .ram formats - same intermittent access problem with each - sometimes play when selected on SB remote or from PC, but usually just present scrolling URL on SB screen and "(title) OFF" on PC. Able to listen to both stations directly on web using either format, but not through SB Favorites using exact same URL. Same story with AVRO Baroque Around the Clock and UK Classic FM. Always able to listen online - inconsistent access through Favorites.

Tried reloading URLs. Sometimes this works once only, sometimes not at all.

Additional clue - sometimes one of the Favorites will disappear completely from the list.

How would we use the My Picks plug-in?

The ONLY reason for our SB is Internet Radio, so this is pretty frustrating. Appreciate your thoughts!

*** END RESPONSE from Ralph 411

bpa
2007-08-11, 15:42
If you want to have a consistent list of stations that will be available whether you are connect to Squeezenetwork or Slimserver then you should do the following

1. Only use URLs for MP3, WMA (also ASX) or OGG stations. No URLS with RTSP, RAM or SMIL.

2. Store all your URLS as Favorites on Squeezenetwork

3. Install MyPicks on your Slimserver and then into MyPicks paste the link to your Squeeznetwork Favorites from the Squeeznetworks Favorites web pages (link is called "Access your favorite streams as OPML")

Siduhe
2007-08-12, 05:04
Ralph, are you based outside the UK? If so, your problems with ClassicFM may be nothing to do with the url you are using. If you search the forums, you'll see that ClassicFM tries to limit its stream to UK and Ireland only for licencing reasons. People often post URLs which crack the licencing restrictions, but these then get closed down.

Most recent one I know that worked outside the UK on an SB was http://mediasrv-the.musicradio.com/ClassicFM.

Ralph 411
2007-08-12, 10:33
We will try the My Picks software as soon as we are comfortable with the rest of the basic features.

We're trying to access ClassicFM from the US. We're able to get it intermittently from SlimServer, but not able to save as a Favorite on SB.

Ralph 411
2007-08-12, 11:52
We will try the My Picks software as soon as we are comfortable with the rest of the basic features.

We're trying to access ClassicFM from the US. We're able to get it intermittently from SlimServer, but not able to save as a Favorite on SB.