PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze for Palm OS?

tyler_durden
2007-08-11, 11:24
Does anyone here know enough about Palm OS and related hardware such as the TX with wi-fi to know if it is possible to port softsqueeze to the Palm OS? This would enable use of a PDA as a portable receiver for slimserver.

Are there any internet radio receiver apps for Palm TX? Is it even possible within the confines of Palm OS?

Thanks,

TD

tyler_durden
2007-08-11, 13:38
I have located a couple internet radio solutions.

One is called Mundu Radio which seems to be a web site that receives radio streams and maybe reformats them to mp3 then restreams them. The Palm OS client reports that it only supports .mp3 streaming. There is a list of about 50 radio stations that can be listened to by default. I think you can add more by going to their web site. ost seem to be limited quality and even mono. Not exactly a hi-fi experience.

Pocket Tunes latest version supports internet radio but I'm not sure what formats and bit rates are supported.

TD

monkie
2007-08-12, 04:11
why not just use the web browser to get into the slimserver interface?

tyler_durden
2007-08-13, 00:30
I don't want to control slimserver- I CAN do that with the web browser. I want to listen to the audio stream coming from it and from internet radio stations.

Mundu works, but seems to have limited selection of stations available, probably due in part to limited codecs in the PDA for decoding the audio streams.

Pocket Tunes claims to be able to access hundreds of internet radio stations and adds many codecs including ogg, aac, etc., but no flac which makes it a show-stopper for listening to slimserver on my system.

TD

davep
2007-08-13, 04:05
Pocket Tunes claims to be able to access hundreds of internet radio stations and adds many codecs including ogg, aac, etc., but no flac which makes it a show-stopper for listening to slimserver on my system.

TD

Surely you're not trying to stream flac to a Palm Tx and decode it locally? I had Pocket Tunes running on my Tx at one point and just used it as an mp3 stream reader, letting slimserver do the transcoding from flac to mp3 before sending it out over wireless. If you play around with the bitrate limiting on the player settings this should allow you to get the highest rate that provides smooth streaming and playing without choking the Palm's somewhat limited processor abilities.

davep

monkie
2007-08-13, 13:23
yeah I've used pocketunes to get the mp3 stream to my palm - it works fine once you get the bitrate settings right.

as above, streaming flac to the palm is just silly

tyler_durden
2007-08-13, 18:12
Is there a way to have slimserver stream mp3 to the PDA and flac to the SB3?

What is the URL for the mp3 audio stream coming out of slimserver (I should know, but I haven't tried to intercept the audio with anything before and the documentation is a little less than optimal)?

What sort of bit rate limit can the PDA handle?

Thanks,

TD

Nikhil
2007-08-14, 03:42

There most certainly is. My slimserver is set to stream FLACs to my SB2 and to softsqueeze on my local Macs & PCs, while it streams high bitrate mp3s to my Nokia770 and lower bitrate mp3s to my computers at work across the internet.

What is the URL for the mp3 audio stream coming out of slimserver (I should know, but I haven't tried to intercept the audio with anything before and the documentation is a little less than optimal)?

on mine it is http://SlimServerIP:9000/stream.mp3
if you have a password, I think it can be done with
http://login:password@SlimServerIP:9000/stream.mp3
not sure if this still works, and also the password probably gets sent as plain text .. perhaps OK over your home network.

Once you connect, you can go to the player settings page in the web interface and set the required transcoding and bit rate limits.

What sort of bit rate limit can the PDA handle?

No idea on this one. The Nokia 770 does 320 kbps without any problem.

slimpy
2007-08-14, 04:59
Once you are connected to the URL provided by Nikhil you won't hear anything. You need to browse to the slimserver web interface. Your PDA will be listed as an additional player with its IP address.
Select the player from the menu, go to player settings and set the bitrate limit accordingly, then populate the playlist. It will take some time until you actually hear something on the PDA due to the buffering in the player.

-s.

slimpy
2007-08-14, 05:03
I think you need flac --> mp3 checked in server settings, file types. And you need flac and lame installed on your system. Not sure if they come preinstalled with slimserver on some (all?) OS.

-s.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-14, 07:55

Yes, the Bitrate Limiting setting is independent for each IP address.

But as Slimpy says, you need to have flac - MP3 checked as well as LAME installed.

tyler_durden
2007-08-14, 20:54
I'll give it a go! Thanks!

TD