PDA

View Full Version : Sb3 Keeps updating firmware

Gomez
2007-08-11, 08:16
First of all hi to everyone.

I've just got an Sb3 Coneected to a Qnas ts201 which I've got working quite well so far! However if I've been using slimserver
Then use Squeezenetwork (Pandora) it has to update firmware then when I go back to Slimserver it has to upgrade firmware again every time.
Slimserver 6.5.1 - 11206
Qnap : 2.1.0 build 0612T

Also when transfering music from pc to qnap I only get 7.5 MB/s I was expecting a lot quicker ?
the pc is
Asus p5b deluxe wifi-ap
E6600
2gb ram
2x Samsung sp250
Windows Vista premium
Ive tried the onboard Gigabit connections as well as a Dlink Gigabit pci card no change Ive also tried transfering files from knoppix still no better ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Gomez......

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-11, 08:33
The reason for the firmware updates is that there are two different firmware images on SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork. If you were to upgrade to the latest SlimServer this would stop, but with QNAP you can only put on the versions Progressive AV has compiled. AFAIK 6.5.1 might be the latest they have.

7.5 MB/s = 60 Mbps, sure sounds like there's a 100 Mbps switch or something in the path...how are the cables? Using Cat 5e or better?

Gomez
2007-08-11, 08:46
Ah right maybe the qnap wasn't te best way to go then that firmware updating really is a pain!
As for the network qnap next to ZyXEL GS-105A 5 Port Gigabit 10/1000 switch then to the pc and Netgear BB router. I've also plugged the pc & Qnap together direct & speeds were no better ? I'm beginning to think I would have been better off building a server? and cabled with cat 6

funkstar
2007-08-11, 09:20
Litle NAS boxes like the QNap are always a lot slower at transfering files than you expect. I can't remember what i used to get from my TS-101, but it wasn't great, that much i do remember.

Gomez
2007-08-11, 09:25
Litle NAS boxes like the QNap are always a lot slower at transfering files than you expect. I can't remember what i used to get from my TS-101, but it wasn't great, that much i do remember.

Hi Funkstar I take it you no longer use TS-101 so what do you use now ?

funkstar
2007-08-11, 11:44
No i don't. I built an HTPC for MediaPortal so i use that instead.