PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Bridge?

DCWalch
2007-08-10, 19:27
Please bear with me becauses my terminology is not so great. I recently ordered a squeeze box for a house we recently moved into. There is no way to run cat 5 in this house and our office is at one end of the house and the entertainment center is at the other end of the house. In anticipation of connecting to the SB I ordered a Linksys Wireless Broadband G router (WRT54GL).

So while I sit here waiting for everything to arrive, including my internet service provider, it occured to me today that since I have cable outlets in both location, in the event I don't have a strong enough signal, perhaps I could install a cable modem at both ends of the house, with wireless routers at both ends of the house and I think I wojld then then have a bridged network, with the wireless signal overlapping, providing a better signal to the SB. But the specifics of this escape me. So my questions are:

1) is this practical?
2) if so, on SB side of the house, can I then plug the SB into the router via cat 5, and control it via the wireless bridge? Or, would it be better to leave the SB in wireless mode.
3) Assuming this is doable, can someone provide good reference material to read on how to configure this?

Of course all this assumes I can get two cable modems installed which i neeed to confirm with my provider. But I thought I'd ask the question here first. I'm sure there are good wireless forums to help with this, but again, I've gotten good help here so i thought i start here first.

Thanks!

Doug

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-10, 19:54
I'm no networking expert, but I've never heard of such an arrangement. Your ISP may or may not go for it - they may want to sell you two connections. You probably won't be able to do this with one connection, usually they restrict you to one IP address so to get two cable modems, you need two IP addresses and two connections - two times the cost. And even if you do want to pay $80/month for such an arrangement, both sides of the house would now be separated by the Internet. They would not form a Local Area Network and would not be able to talk to each other directly.

Also I don't believe wireless networking can work that way. The networks would be competing, not cooperating. If you set them to the same channel with the same SSID they'd conflict with each other and the SB would connect to the strongest one, one at a time, not both.

If you're looking at something this complex, it would be cheaper and more effective to get powerline adapters, which use your high-power wiring as networking cables. But, try out your WRT54GL first. If you can't get enough signal, you can return the wireless router and get powerline adapters.

DCWalch
2007-08-10, 22:06
Thanks so much for the response. I'm definately not a network expert, which is why I asked the quesiton. I'll try the WRT54GL first, which was plan A, and if that doesn't work look into power line adapters and what ever other options there may be.

I really appreciate this forum.

Thanks again.

jth
2007-08-11, 08:26
You can flash your WRT54GL with third-party firmware, like dd-wrt, and boost the power and range of the access point. I think on the highest safe setting, you'd have no problem getting a signal in even a very large house (unless you have unusual interior features).