PDA

View Full Version : Scanning for New & Changed

Skittler
2007-08-10, 05:42
[Slimserver 6.5.4. Windoze XP Home SP2]

Anyone know how this scan actually works?
Is it "modify/create date & time later than last time a scan was done" or is it some other algorithm?

I've just ripped six new CDs to FLAC and they are all properly tagged. They are sat in my normal FLAC folder structure, in one case right next to other albums by the same artist.

I do a Scan for New & Changed (and I wait long enough) but the new albums do not show up under Artists or Albums. If I browse the Music Folder, I can play them. After browsing into the Music Folder for a particular album, it then appears normally in the Artist or Album lists.

So, what's happening for the scan not to find them, as they're seem to be 'correct' in every way?

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-10, 06:00
I'm not sure, but I always had similar issues with Look for New & Changed.

I always do a Clear & Rescan. Doesn't take any more time anyway.

Skittler
2007-08-10, 06:17
I always do a Clear & Rescan. Doesn't take any more time anyway.

Really? In that case there's no need for the other option!
Surely it must be doing something different?

If I do a Full Scan my HDD goes crazy, but with N&C it doesn't. Maybe that's only because N&C isn't working properly for me though.

I had always assumed that N&C would be quicker than Full but without checking some logs (I don't know which) then I can't be sure how long either method takes.

While I'm thinking about this...
If I want to change the Genre tag for some music (which I do fairly often as my opinion changes) then I'd like to do a quick N&C scan to pick that up, but I can't seem to do it without a Full scan.