PDA

View Full Version : domestic fm transmitters

Eserim
2007-08-09, 11:21
Hi

Is anyone using a FM transmitter plugged into their SB to send music to FM radios around their house?

I'm trying to see if a reasonably price one exists - it will have to be mains powered (240V) and have a decent range, so the in-car ones aren't probably an option.

Cheers

Eserim

SuperQ
2007-08-09, 13:19
Hi

Is anyone using a FM transmitter plugged into their SB to send music to FM radios around their house?

I'm trying to see if a reasonably price one exists - it will have to be mains powered (240V) and have a decent range, so the in-car ones aren't probably an option.

Cheers

Eserim

Most of the FM transmitter devices I've seen have absolutely awful audio quality. Probably not worth it.

robbiex
2007-08-09, 15:09
The inexpensive, consumer grade FM transmitters are absolutely useless. The transmitter range is very limited and the audio quality is terrible. There are much better ways to transmit audio around a home, but if you do want to use FM one possibility is the Ramsey FM100BEX. A description is at:
http://www.hobbytron.com/1-watt-fm-transmitter.html
I know nothing about hobbytron, but Ramsey has a good reputation. The transmitter is semi-commercial grade and is moderately expensive.

Eserim
2007-08-09, 23:57
Thanks - top quality isn't too much of a problem as I mainly want to hear music from my SB in the kitchen when I am cooking, so with the noise of ovens, extractors and the like - quality isn't the most important thing. Plus I don't want any other equipment in th e kitchen - I already have the DAB/FM radio so I don't need anything else.

The Ramsey FM100BEX may work, but I think my wife would have "issues" with it sat next to the SB :)

Cheers

Eserim

Barry McLarnon
2007-08-10, 13:22
On Thursday 09 August 2007 14:21, Eserim wrote:
> Is anyone using a FM transmitter plugged into their SB to send music to
> FM radios around their house?

I'm using this one:
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx
and I'm quite pleased with it. Audio quality is reasonable, reception is good
around the house and in the yard, and it even came with the necessary
adapter to plug into the line outputs of my SB2. In the car, it drops out
about 100 m or so down the block. As always, YMMV...

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF Ottawa, ON

NauticusLX
2007-08-10, 14:17
Eserim, I too am using the one sold at ccrane.com. I've been using it for about 6 months, it plugs conveniently right into the headphone jack in the back of the SqueezeBox. This way I can listen in the kitchen, and also a radio alarmclock in the same room, which I sometimes prefer to the shelf system it's attached directly to.

The absolutely great thing about this is you can tune in local AM stations that would otherwise be filled with static when you turn on an appliance, but is static free when tuned in on an unused FM frequency. On top of which, otherwise murky AM stations have "FM quality" when listened to via the SB. This is a great way to listen to Coast-to-Coast and the Drudge Report. Sometimes the urls change for these, but I can relocate them using Shoutcast.

You'll need to adjust the "gain" if you switch between a talk show and music - it would be nice if that were an automatic feature, but otherwise I highly recommend this device.

secabeen
2007-08-10, 14:22
NauticusLX wrote:
> Eserim, I too am using the one sold at ccrane.com. I've been using it
> for about 6 months, it plugs conveniently right into the headphone jack
> in the back of the SqueezeBox. This way I can listen in the kitchen,
> and also a radio alarmclock in the same room, which I sometimes prefer
> to the shelf system it's attached directly to.

You know, this may be solution to the myriad requests for a Squeezebox
boombox for use around the house. Thanks for the pointer, everybody.

--Ted

Victor Brilon
2007-08-10, 15:07
On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Barry McLarnon wrote:

> On Thursday 09 August 2007 14:21, Eserim wrote:
>> Is anyone using a FM transmitter plugged into their SB to send
>> music to
>> FM radios around their house?
>
> I'm using this one:
> http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx
> and I'm quite pleased with it. Audio quality is reasonable,
> reception is good
> around the house and in the yard, and it even came with the necessary
> adapter to plug into the line outputs of my SB2. In the car, it
> drops out
> about 100 m or so down the block. As always, YMMV...
>
> Barry
>

I second that one. The reason I bought it is that the schematics for
it were available online. 2 minutes after I got it in the mail, I had
it opened, turned one variable resistor a bit, and I had FM
transmissions with crystal clarity to everywhere in my house.

Victor

pm314
2007-08-10, 15:14
Eserim, I too am using the one sold at ccrane.com. I've been using it for about 6 months, it plugs conveniently right into the headphone jack in the back of the SqueezeBox. This way I can listen in the kitchen, and also a radio alarmclock in the same room, which I sometimes prefer to the shelf system it's attached directly to.

The absolutely great thing about this is you can tune in local AM stations that would otherwise be filled with static when you turn on an appliance, but is static free when tuned in on an unused FM frequency. On top of which, otherwise murky AM stations have "FM quality" when listened to via the SB. This is a great way to listen to Coast-to-Coast and the Drudge Report. Sometimes the urls change for these, but I can relocate them using Shoutcast.

You'll need to adjust the "gain" if you switch between a talk show and music - it would be nice if that were an automatic feature, but otherwise I highly recommend this device.

I am also using the ccrane transmitter with good results. There are a few articles on how to open it up and increase the transmission power. I'm not sure if the company is still using the same design but it worked for mine that I bought about a year ago. I listen to music through my iRiver while out doing yard work.

Eserim
2007-08-10, 23:11
looks good, many thanks, now I have the two issues of saving up the pennies to afford it (I know it is well priced) and then finding a way to get one to the UK - we have only just legalized the in-car transmitters - I am sure this one will still be considered evil!

Cheers

Eserim

robbiex
2007-08-11, 04:55
I should have mentioned the CCrane transmitter. I purchased one after having given up on several of the inexpensive units that are designed for automotive use. The CCrane has had good reviews. Mine worked with a radio in the house that was about 10 feet away, but not with one at a distance of about 40 feet. For automotive use, it was OK in a VW, but wouldn't work from the front seat of a Mercedes - you had to put the transmitter on the ledge adjacent to the rear window. I would rate the audio quality as fair and the distance coverage as poor. (This unit was modified to increase its output power.)
A friend of mine had exactly the same experience with a different CCrane transmitter so I don't think that mine was a bad unit. I agree that it is supposed to be the best of the low cost transmitters.

bpa
2007-08-11, 05:11
Since you are UK based - these products may suit
http://www.veronica.co.uk/

danco
2007-08-11, 11:13
I note that none of these products indicate that they are legal in the UK.

Barry McLarnon
2007-08-13, 07:15
On Friday 10 August 2007 18:07, Victor Brilon wrote:
> I second that one. The reason I bought it is that the schematics for
> it were available online. 2 minutes after I got it in the mail, I had
> it opened, turned one variable resistor a bit, and I had FM
> transmissions with crystal clarity to everywhere in my house.

I opened my ccrane unit too (purchased 3-4 months ago), but that adjustment
turned out to be already set to maximum, so maybe they're now pre-tweaking
them to discourage people from opening and possibly breaking them.

Barry

--

mattybain
2007-08-13, 10:25
looks good, many thanks, now I have the two issues of saving up the pennies to afford it (I know it is well priced) and then finding a way to get one to the UK - we have only just legalized the in-car transmitters - I am sure this one will still be considered evil!

Cheers

Eserim

They quote $26 for international delivery so I reckon it will probably cost you about 60 including duty and VAT. As to the legality in the UK I would suggest that as long as you are using a non commercial frequency it would be considered as about illegal as videotaping tv programs. However IANAL.

However http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_transmitter_(personal_device) suggests that to be legal it needs to transmit <8m and have a power of less than 50 nanowatts. In that case no it would probably not be legal in the UK :( bl**dy Offcom!! makes you want to vote Tory :)

raglencross
2007-08-13, 12:13
Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the channel spacing for FM different for Europe and North America. The Crane unit (I have one and like it!) is digitally tuned which could be problematic wherein channel bandwith and ability to tune to the exact center frequency for that bandwith are concerned.

mattybain
2007-08-13, 12:19
Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the channel spacing for FM different for Europe and North America. The Crane unit (I have one and like it!) is digitally tuned which could be problematic wherein channel bandwith and ability to tune to the exact center frequency for that bandwith are concerned.

Yes you are wrong, AM is different but FM spacing is the same. Certainly all the iTrips I imported work fine.

Barry McLarnon
2007-08-13, 13:50
On Monday 13 August 2007 15:19, mattybain wrote:
> raglencross;220583 Wrote:
> > Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the channel
> > spacing for FM different for Europe and North America. The Crane unit
> > (I have one and like it!) is digitally tuned which could be problematic
> > wherein channel bandwith and ability to tune to the exact center
> > frequency for that bandwith are concerned.
>
> Yes you are wrong, AM is different but FM spacing is the same.
> Certainly all the iTrips I imported work fine.

Not really wrong - it's 100 kHz spacing for FM in Europe, and 200 kHz in NA.
In any case, it's not a problem for the ccrane unit, since it tunes in 50 kHz
increments.

Barry

--

y360
2007-08-14, 02:53
There is a also a difference in the pre-emphasis method that's used for noise reduction.
In the UK, Europe and Australia the time constant is 50 uS whereas in North America it is 75 uS.

mattybain
2007-08-14, 06:30
There is a also a difference in the pre-emphasis method that's used for noise reduction.
In the UK, Europe and Australia the time constant is 50 uS whereas in North America it is 75 uS.

But the point is that FM works unlike AM.

steve4586
2007-08-14, 11:54
I have a Veronica 100mw Transmitter. It works pretty well, but of course is illegal to use in the UK. However, living a remote part of the world this has not been a problem. But I do want sell it now (moving to a town)