PDA

View Full Version : DVD to Transporter to digital out

michaelrp2
2007-08-09, 10:18
Hi. I wanted to route the digital out of the DVD player through my Transporter, so I can use its digital volume control and then via the digital outputs to a Chord DAC64. I understand that the Transporter does NOT allow this routing... so my question is... is it possible to 'stream' the output of a DVD player into a Transporter and thereby get the result I want?

SuperQ
2007-08-09, 13:09
Hi. I wanted to route the digital out of the DVD player through my Transporter, so I can use its digital volume control and then via the digital outputs to a Chord DAC64. I understand that the Transporter does NOT allow this routing... so my question is... is it possible to 'stream' the output of a DVD player into a Transporter and thereby get the result I want?

You would have to have a PC take the digital output of the DVD player and create a FLAC stream. This is not hard to do, but maybe not the best solution.

I thought the transporter could pass-through the digital input to one of the digital outputs.. but I guess it may not do digital volume control then.

I guess you would have to file a feature request with slim devices. :-)

funkstar
2007-08-09, 15:22
As the DVD player is most likely sending out DTS or AC3 over its digital outs, there is no way for the transporter to alter the volume of this audio without decoding the signal into it's 6+ channels, changing the volume and then re-encoding it into a surround format that will fit on digital connections.

Never going to happen.

It is a compressed data stream as opposed to a raw digital audio stream, you can't just apply a (relatively) simple binary adjustment to it to change it.

And another thing. Feeding the stream though the PC will also mean de-coding, volume adjusting and the re-encoding. Not easy, you will loose all time sync with the DVD video too, probably several seconds difference if not more.

michaelrp2
2007-08-10, 00:15
The DVD does output a straight PCM (48KHz, 24 bit) signal, but agree it does indeed sound a bit complicated having to route via a PC! If the Transporter does digital pass through I would love to know how to get this working?? M

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-10, 05:47
If the Transporter does digital pass through I would love to know how to get this working?? M

The Transporter does not allow digital pass-through.

The hardware may be capable though, so perhaps one day:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25812