PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver loosing contact with Squeezebox 3

ceepan
2007-08-09, 09:15
My System

PC running Windows XP SP2
Slimserver 6.5.3 (Official Release - not a nightly)
Squeezebox 3 (Ethernet Only)
Linksys WAG54GS ADSL Modem/Router

Note: I also saw this problem when running 6.5.2

The server PC is off when I am not listening to music. When I turn it on (don't need to login to it) the Squeezebox display shows up and I canlisten to music. After some time the display disappears and the music stops. Looking at Slimserver in a browser it tells me that no Squeezebox/Transporter is connected to the system. The PC is connected to the router using 802.11g. The PC can still access the network. I can ping the squeezebox and get a reply - so I am slightly confused as to why Slimserver can't see the squeezebox. Any ideas/suggestions how to better diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Ross L
2007-08-09, 17:41
Sounds like the player is being disconnected from the network. Is it wireless?

ceepan
2007-08-09, 23:38
The player is the ethernet only version. The PC running Slimserver is connected wirelessly. When the conection goes I can ping the PC running Slimserver. It can still get access to the network. However if I try to get access to Slimserver through a browser from my laptop it can't.

Ross L
2007-08-10, 11:28
When it stops working, you can ping the SlimServer PC from another computer on the network? What are you pinging from?

If the SlimServer computer still has network access then perhaps its not a networking issue, but rather software. Do you have any firewall software on the SlimServer computer?

ceepan
2007-08-13, 00:23
When it stops working, you can ping the SlimServer PC from another computer on the network? What are you pinging from?

When it stops working I can ping the Slimserver PC from a command window on my Laptop which is running Windows XP also.

If the SlimServer computer still has network access then perhaps its not a networking issue, but rather software. Do you have any firewall software on the SlimServer computer?

I have Zone Alarm installed on the Slimserver PC, but have tried disabling it, but that made no difference.

Siduhe
2007-08-13, 00:50
When I used Zone Alarm (this was back with 6.5.2) I found I needed to add specific exceptions for slim.exe and socketwrapper.exe to ensure network access. From what you describe, I'm not sure this is a software issue, but perhaps try adding the exceptions and restarting slimserver to see if this helps?

Disabling it won't work - parts of Zone Alarm remain active even if you disable it and that may be blocking Slimserver

Apteryx
2007-08-13, 03:55
Sure it's not something simple like an IP address clash? - After having an SB2 serviced, I managed to misread my configs and give two SB2's the same fixed address - they would work perfectly for a few minutes then fall off the network, reconnect, work, fall of the network etc - I wasted quite some time looking for something more complicated! (The SB's never "complained" - they just fell off the network)

Ross L
2007-08-13, 11:16
Also is this the free version or pro version of Zone Alarm?

ceepan
2007-08-13, 22:27
It is a free version of ZoneAlarm. I haven't yet had a chance to check the specific exceptions. It would seem strange that it is starting to play up now though.

I know that it is not an IP conflict problem. The reason that I changed all addresses on the network to static addresses is that the router was assigning the same IP address to the squeezebox, as it was to my laptop.

When I say that everything is fine, then the squeezebox disappears, this can be a couple of hours.

Ross L
2007-08-14, 11:38
Last I checked the free version of Zone Alarm doesn't allow port exceptions, perhaps this has changed.

In any case I'd suggest you take a closer look at the router. If it's having DHCP issues, perhaps there is a greater concern. Have you checked to see if the firmware is up to date with the manufacturer of the router?

bpa
2007-08-14, 12:19
Does this problem happen when the SB is connected to Squeezenetwork and listening to internet radio ?
If yes then problem is not in the PC.

What formats are you playing ? If it is Flac or Wav and your PC wireless network connections is not great, you may be getting wireless throughput problems.

Have you tried the Network speed test with the PC and SB ?